Can we be the 2018 bears in 2019?

Hebert19

We don’t have some talented offensive mind that’s going to come in and lift this offense up.

And I’ve been saying it for a while now and will keep doing so. Anyone that expects us to rebuild this roster through free agency is naive. BB created this deadcap mess just so he can overpay a bunch of mediocre players. 

It is possible especially given the fact our division is relatively weaker compared to the NFC North. The two hiccups I see are the lack of solid FA WR options this off-season and the unlikely addition of a top 3 player on defense in the NFL how they got Mack. Our defense is good but it does lack that true dominant player. We have a ton a good-almost great players (Poyer Hyde White Edmunds) but only Milano at this point is what I would consider a semi dominant playmaker and he has an injury to recover from. Perhaps Edmunds turns into that he is young and talented as heck, but Chicago with Mack literally add one of the best defensive players period in his prime. That helps.

Edited by corta765

5 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Feels like we could be.  Allen and Mitch are very similar quarterbacks.  Mitch was not good in first year and is still inconsistent. But arm talent and scrambling abilities are there.  

Their defense a year ago vs ours was pretty similar as well.  Need to add an impact player or 2 but that's not impossible.  

We need to add some skill players on offense but even the coordinator styles are similar.  

And finally the big piece is their division vs ours.  The north had a down year.   I expect the east to be similar next year.  No new England dominance.  And jets and dolphins will be meh.  

A good draft and good signings and we could be 11-4 at this time next year.    What do we need?

On D.  

Cb2, LB, DE and depth. 

On O

RB1, WR1, OT, OG, TE1

Not impossible. 

I feel like we couldn't because it would require both a time machine and an NFL relocation vote, along with a name change.

Besides, why would you want this?

Wasn't it bad enough when we were worried about Bon Jovi moving us to Canada?

9 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Feels like we could be.  Allen and Mitch are very similar quarterbacks.  Mitch was not good in first year and is still inconsistent. But arm talent and scrambling abilities are there.  

Their defense a year ago vs ours was pretty similar as well.  Need to add an impact player or 2 but that's not impossible.  

We need to add some skill players on offense but even the coordinator styles are similar.  

And finally the big piece is their division vs ours.  The north had a down year.   I expect the east to be similar next year.  No new England dominance.  And jets and dolphins will be meh.  

A good draft and good signings and we could be 11-4 at this time next year.    What do we need?

On D.  

Cb2, LB, DE and depth. 

On O

RB1, WR1, OT, OG, TE1

Not impossible. 

Sure, if we can get Khalil Mack!!

It's possible, but it can't be understated how important an addition Mack was to that team.

And though Trubisky had accuracy issues, he wasn't nearly as bad as Allen...nor was he as mistake prone as him. Even last year it looked like Trubisky could at least be an effective game manager with the right pieces around him, and had a decent grasp of opposing defenses by the end of the year. Allen on the other hand looks like his only hope is to grow into the deep passing/home-run threat he was touted as, with mobility being his other primary source of offensive success.

That way, his accuracy issues that have plagued him his entire career, and his issues recognizing defensive schemes will cover up the other general inconsistencies allowing us to eek out a few additional wins. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

We are going to  need Allen to be at least very good for that to happen.  The Bears went through their entire off-season and then traded future picks for a top 2 overall defensive player in the entire league.  The other being Aaron Donald imo.  It's doubtful the Bills will have an opportunity like that this off-season.

21 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I don’t like the comparison. The strength of the Bears D is their front 7. The strength of the Bills D is the secondary. 

Nagy/McD totally different style of football and that is reflected most by their QBs. Trubisky is being set up with short creative concepts, the Bills keep bringing in more speed so Allen can chuck it deep. 

The only similarities I see are both teams having mobile quarterbacks. The rest is a reach, probably trying to get your hopes up that the team will make a similar turn around with a 2nd year QB.

Allen suffers from receivers who were supposed to be clutch making drops as well. The front line we have is aging though in a bad way with Kyle Williams retirement.  I look at Liberty University Flames defensive tackle and run stuffer Tolen Avery as a capable replacement.  Zay Jones and Robert Foster against the Patriots had major drop issues as for Jason Croom the fumble happened and he’s a second tightend who fits well not as a primary target; remember when he made the heads up play after Zay Jones fumble for a touchdown.  Buffalo is an East Coast arse kicking team that needs to get its mojo back. Offensive line suffers from centers who could not call high school block routines.  

It would take at least 3 years to get where the Bears are now and I'm not sure we can acquire elite talent like Mack. Hicks and Goldman  are getting so much push that a pocket for a QB to step up into rarely exists. If we just needed to focus on defense we might be able to get close to the Bears level of defense by 2021 with great drafting. We also don't have anyone even close to Vic Fangio, he is better than McD and Frazier combined.