Can we be the 2018 bears in 2019?

Hebert19

Feels like we could be.  Allen and Mitch are very similar quarterbacks.  Mitch was not good in first year and is still inconsistent. But arm talent and scrambling abilities are there.  

Their defense a year ago vs ours was pretty similar as well.  Need to add an impact player or 2 but that's not impossible.  

We need to add some skill players on offense but even the coordinator styles are similar.  

And finally the big piece is their division vs ours.  The north had a down year.   I expect the east to be similar next year.  No new England dominance.  And jets and dolphins will be meh.  

A good draft and good signings and we could be 11-4 at this time next year.    What do we need?

On D.  

Cb2, LB, DE and depth. 

On O

RB1, WR1, OT, OG, TE1

Not impossible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Feels like we could be.  Allen and Mitch are very similar quarterbacks.  Mitch was not good in first year and is still inconsistent. But arm talent and scrambling abilities are there.  

Their defense a year ago vs ours was pretty similar as well.  Need to add an impact player or 2 but that's not impossible.  

We need to add some skill players on offense but even the coordinator styles are similar.  

And finally the big piece is their division vs ours.  The north had a down year.   I expect the east to be similar next year.  No new England dominance.  And jets and dolphins will be meh.  

A good draft and good signings and we could be 11-4 at this time next year.    What do we need?

On D.  

Cb2, LB, DE and depth. 

On O

RB1, WR1, OT, OG, TE1

Not impossible. 

My buddy is a huge bears fan and I was just telling him the exact same thing the other day. Lots of similarities between both teams if you compare bears team of last year to this years bills team and what appears to be on the horizon for the Bills. 

I don’t like the comparison. The strength of the Bears D is their front 7. The strength of the Bills D is the secondary. 

The Bears have two capable young backs who compliment each other well, the Bills have two old backs who look toast.

The Bears have an NFL caliber oline, the Bills oline couldn’t block a grandma from the clearance rack.

Nagy/McD totally different style of football and that is reflected most by their QBs. Trubisky is being set up with short creative concepts, the Bills keep bringing in more speed so Allen can chuck it deep. 

The only similarities I see are both teams having mobile quarterbacks. The rest is a reach, probably trying to get your hopes up that the team will make a similar turn around with a 2nd year QB.

6 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I don’t like the comparison. The strength of the Bears D is their front 7. The strength of the Bills D is the secondary. 

The Bears have two capable young backs who compliment each other well, the Bills have two old backs who look toast.

The Bears have an NFL caliber oline, the Bills oline couldn’t block a grandma from the clearance rack.

Nagy/McD totally different style of football and that is reflected most by their QBs. Trubisky is being set up with short creative concepts, the Bills keep bringing in more speed so Allen can chuck it deep.

And as to the bolded those pieces were in place before the 2018 offseason. The Bills front seven is probably in a similar place as the Bears front seven was prior to Smith and obviously Mack.... so if Edmunds steps up we just need to find that elite pass rusher (easier said than done).... but on offense I agree totally we have further to go than the Bears had. Their Oline was already good and their backs were already in place. Sign a couple of FA WRs and a FA TE and draft another WR and add water and serve... was basically the Bears recipe..... the Bills have a lot more work to do.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DBilz2500 said:

My buddy is a huge bears fan and I was just telling him the exact same thing the other day. Lots of similarities between both teams if you compare bears team of last year to this years bills team and what appears to be on the horizon for the Bills. 

I remember the 13-3 Dick Jauron Bears, thst turned out great starting the first day of the next season.....

Edited by row_33

After the 2017 Season ended I turned to my PaPa and said “PaPa...you know who should mimick the LA RAMS model?  The Bears.  They have a 1st Round QB who is struggling under a Defense Minded Head Coach.  They should move on from him...bring in a Younger, Hot Offensive Minded Head Coach and use all their money to build around him.”  

Who knew?! ? ? ? 

So I think the Bills can only go so far as to being the next Rams or the next Bears.  They can spend like those teams and maybe even make some trades.

i don’t think they would be able to land the level of player like Mack in the offseason.

And they are in no way going to be bringing in a Hot Offensive Minded Head Coach to hold Allen to a higher level/standard that really you see only more from Offensive Playcalling Head Coaches over their Defensive Minded counterparts.

Go check out some Mic’d up footage of the way Nagy talks to Trub before a game/during a game.  It’s another level.

• Like (+1) 1

Bears were smart to retain their DC even when hiring a new head coach.  That rarely happens.  If Frasier goes hopefully McD finds another DC that will work well with these players.  Bear like the Bills had to invest a lot in their offense this past off season and it paid off.  Bills obviously need to do the same.