Trades will be Beane's main focus, not free agency

Inigo Montoya

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They have had some success with Day 3 picks of late ( Milano, Johnson and Teller) so I’m not so sure he will be giving too many away..

Exception will be to move up in the draft which he has shown he is not afraid to do..

Agree.  If we've learned one thing about Beane, it's that he values his draft picks - maybe overvalues, but that's another story.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Doubtful.  The picks will be used to fortify the roster as will the available cap space to sign UFAs.  There may be a trade or two, but that won't be the focus of the offseason. 

I agree. The one guy I would go after is Eifert. Lots of injuries, but one of the best when healthy.

Just now, billykay said:

I agree. The one guy I would go after is Eifert. Lots of injuries, but one of the best when healthy.

The problem is that he's never and I do mean never healthy. Incentive ladened deal only and I have no idea how you could put yourself in a position to rely on his availability given his history. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Beane's plan is to trade away draft picks for middle-of-the road talent, I say that Pegula should just fire him now.

The $90 million in cap space has gotten so much play this year that if it were a person, it would be the fans second-favorite player (Josh Allen first, $90 million cap space second).

Beane gutted so much talent from the roster to create that space that he better use it to build a winning team, instead of relying on Kelvin-Benjamin-type trades.

Take away the names, and the fact is that Beane traded a 3rd and 4th pick overall, creating dead money and holes in the roster that contributed to the team's shortcomings the last two season.

This year there better be a payoff for those moves, and they need to be better than a Trent Murphy level FA signing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

His cap hit jumps up in 19’. They drafted a stud TE last season. They have the worst cap situation in the league. Moving Ertz would be the prudent thing for them to do and it won’t be long until you hear that they are “listening”

to offers. 

If Gruden were running the Eagles, perhaps.  Ertz is a Hall of Fame level tight end and an integral part of their team, let alone their best and most reliable weapon on offense. 

They will trim fat elsewhere.  Ertz will stay put.

2 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

If Beane's plan is to trade away draft picks for middle-of-the road talent, I say that Pegula should just fire him now.

The $90 million in cap space has gotten so much play this year that if it were a person, it would be the fans second-favorite player (Josh Allen first, $90 million cap space second).

Beane gutted so much talent from the roster to create that space that he better use it to build a winning team, instead of relying on Kelvin-Benjamin-type trades.

Take away the names, and the fact is that Beane traded a 3rd and 4th pick overall, creating dead money and holes in the roster that contributed to the team's shortcomings the last two season.

This year there better be a payoff for those moves, and they need to be better than a Trent Murphy level FA signing.

You will need to remember that there is no superstar WR available in free agency this year waiting for Beane to throw money at him... 

Upgrading WR position will be done via a combination of bringing in a mid level prospect in Free Agency and perhaps rolling the dice on someone in the first or second round ..

Getting a big name WR via trade ( Green or Jones for example) is unlikely to happen as Beane won’t give up the assets required.. the guy that said giving up a 4th for Green must be having a laugh...

Free Agency prospects look a little better for OL, but it’s a sellers market and realistically they can probably expect 1 big name and 1 medium name at best to come here given the number of teams looking to acquire talent..

Edited by Aussie Joe

56 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You will need to remember that there is no superstar WR available in free agency this year waiting for Beane to throw money at him... 

Upgrading WR position will be done via a combination of bringing in a mid level prospect in Free Agency and perhaps rolling the dice on someone in the first or second round ..

Getting a big name WR via trade ( Green or Jones for example) is unlikely to happen as Beane won’t give up the assets required.. the guy that said giving up a 4th for Green must be having a laugh...

Free Agency prospects look a little better for OL, but it’s a sellers market and realistically they can probably expect 1 big name and 1 medium name at best to come here given the number of teams looking to acquire talent..

That's fine for WR, as long as the position is improved.

However, if Beane is not a player in FA this year, after gutting the roster for two years to reclaim cap space, fans should rightly be ticked off.

The Beane/McDermott narrative has been that the dead cap space has restricted the team from being fully competitive the last two seasons.  If the story now changes to there is no one worth signing, despite $90 million in cap space, well that would highlight some pretty horrible planning on the part of the front office.

O-line players are highly coveted so I can't see the trade market having high end lower risk impact starters. WR's on the other hand might be more available. So I can see a trade for a WR happening, but I think a massive trading spree is unlikely. The team has been drafting well and they have the dollars to spend in free agency. Why burn picks to take back players most likely on bigger contracts when you can just sign free agents?

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

If Gruden were running the Eagles, perhaps.  Ertz is a Hall of Fame level tight end and an integral part of their team, let alone their best and most reliable weapon on offense. 

They will trim fat elsewhere.  Ertz will stay put.

Ertz is the best or second best tight end in the game, there is almost zero chance he gets traded unless its for an ungodly sum of draft picks at which point it wouldn't be worth it. 

Trades featuring late round picks haven't yet changed the NFLandscape,but lets wait and evaluate the trades. New GMs have been eager to make their mark. The rising salary cap makes it easier to take on veteran salaries: a team might give up a pick rather than gamble that a player they like gets cut. Beane traded AWAY players to dump contracts and accumulate picks to move up for a QB. It is possible he considers trading away 1 or 2