Trades will be Beane's main focus, not free agency

Inigo Montoya

7 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

It's a small sample so far with Beane but he tends to trade players for picks.  Benjamin being the exception.  This was done to rid of players who didn't fit one way or another and to get a qb.  

The other tendency he has is trading picks to move up in the draft to get a specific player.  (Josh Allen, Edmunds, Taron Johnson.)

I believe he will make several moves in free agency but most of them wont excite the average fan.  Maybe one or two big signings.  He comes across as a guy who tries to make solid but not flashy moves.  

To the extent that they will sign "names" in free agency I expect it to be on the Oline. I expect two FA additions to that unit. Whether they will be the "big" names" ie a Paradis type not sure but they will be good players at pretty high $$s. I've long believed Quinton Spain is absolutely ideal for what they want to do at guard and would be a perfect fit. Most fans probably don't know much about him but he will command a decent salary and is a very good player.

Just now, Cmdjr85 said:

Its all for nothing becausee as long as brady and belichick are in NE nobody is taking the divison

Oh okay. We will refuse to participate until they retire then. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think your high if you think bean is giving away draft picks, one or two MAYBE, but beyond that never freaking happen. He came out and said he builds though the draft... he’s not giving those picks away... no way no how.

35 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Its all for nothing becausee as long as brady and belichick are in NE nobody is taking the divison

Have you watched Brady the last five weeks, it’s manning happening all over again... he’s half way down the cliff face heading for the rocks below.  No way they win the division with Brady at qb next year.

Edited by gordong

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I defintely see Beane making a few trades for skill position players. WRs, TEs, RBs all on the table. Beane will also attack free agency with non skill postions players mostly on offensive line where we will spend big on 2 maybe 3 players. The defense will defintely get some love too via free agency. 

A couple possible trade candidates will be 

#1 Wr Aj Green - I can see the Bengels moving in a new direction this offseason and the Bills will surely show major interest in Aj . Im not sure what it would take to get him but its defintely gonna cost more then Philly paid for Golden Tate which was a 3rd. Aj can cost multiple pks im thinking a 2 and a 4 can possibly get him here. To be honest i dont know if i would do that but McBeane has shown they dont care about age of skill position players as much as other teams do. 

#2 Wr- Marvin Jones. MJ wont cost much 6.5 mil per yr in 2019 and 20 seasons. He'll be 29 when the season starts. Mj most likely if traded will command at least a 3rd rd pk at that type of cost controlled salary. 13 mil over 2yrs is dirt cheap in today NFL. As a player MJ fits what Beane looks for in a wr he's a deep threat with big time catch radius. If Marvin becomes available the Bills will defintely take a chance on him.

Good take.  I believe it will be a balance of free agency acquisitions, probably on the O Line, and trades for a couple of solid WR.  The draft will continue to cement our line, WR,  and meet a couple of needs on defense as a CB, and it depends on whether we retain and they want to play one more year in Kyle and Lorax.

3 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I'm good on Demaryius his age and recent achilles tear don't make him worth it for me. I'm not sold on TY or Tavon either. Tavon has bounced around from team to team and has never shown a real impact. 

Bounced around from team to team? He’s been on exactly two teams in his career. The majority of it on one team.

With all due respect to the OP, I don't think you are paying attention to what Beane has said. The Bills are not going to be trading draft picks for players. The Bills want young players to train in their particular process and they are not interested in acquiring older players and certainly not by trading draft picks for them.

Plus, I'm not sure you're correct about the free agent market. If the talent is lower in free agency its because teams are resigning the players they want, not because they're trading them.  There are exceptions, like Mack, but I think the market is still pretty good.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 5

its a good point. I think Beane and McDermott both get it that Buffalo can be a hard sell to FAs, especially diva prone positions like WR, but generally once a player is here they like it, trades may be best option to pick up an immediate impact WR/lineman etc.

We need players on O that can step in right away not develop for a year like young WRs from draft often need.

Stock up on vets in FA/Trades, build depth on D and O in draft.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Doubtful.  The picks will be used to fortify the roster as will the available cap space to sign UFAs.  There may be a trade or two, but that won't be the focus of the offseason. 

42 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

With all due respect to the OP, I don't think you are paying attention to what Beane has said. The Bills are not going to be trading draft picks for players. The Bills want young players to train in their particular process and they are not interested in acquiring older players and certainly not by trading draft picks for them.

Plus, I'm not sure you're correct about the free agent market. If the talent is lower in free agency its because teams are resigning the players they want, not because they're trading them.  There are exceptions, like Mack, but I think the market is still pretty good.  

Title made me think it was a fact stated by Beane.

thank goodness it’s speculative and incorrect.

i personally expect 3-5 impact starters from free agency and 2-3 from the draft. Mostly on offense. 

I've always been a "whatever, trade away some mid-late round picks" guy, but McBeane seems to know what he's doing in the mid-late rounds, so I'm not so sure about that now.

We have two-4s and two-5's... I think we'd all be thrilled to get a couple Milano/Jonson caliber players there. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this is correct. I could see the Bills doing a player for player trade with another team but player trades are not very common in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

And the Eagles would trade him because...?

His cap hit jumps up in 19’. They drafted a stud TE last season. They have the worst cap situation in the league. Moving Ertz would be the prudent thing for them to do and it won’t be long until you hear that they are “listening”

to offers.