I'll take a shot at the 2019 offense FA's

Virgil

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I too would expect production from having 13 players on the field on offense 

The sad part is we could have two extra receivers running wild and with how bad our O-line is we still wouldn’t get much more production on offense lol

I'm on board with most of your plan, though probably would pass on the 2nd WR Conley/White and instead use a2nd day draft pick on a rookie there instead.  Rest I like.

As for Bell, I'd be OK wit ha short term contract, though would be shocked to see Bell take that, the only was is if he way over valued his worth and no one else in all that interested.  I think he will end up in Indy, but can see him talking to the Jet's and Bills to try and drive up the offers.

Like to see them trade down to get and extra 2nd and/or 3rd rounder.  Then could potentially use 1str rounder on DL, 2nd on guard and WR, 3rd on RB and BPA maybe another lineman?

I personally wouldn’t want bell. He screams I got 50 million guaranteed and I don’t have to ball out anymore. Of course that’s just my opinion of him. He earned his payday. No disputing that. What he does with it I’m not sold he’ll be the same player. 

But maybe that’s why I’m not a gm lol. 

I don’t have a ton of musts in free agency but I do think there needs to be a solid anchor for the offensive line. Rather it’s paradis or a rookie or whatever, there needs to be one rock solid starter who can take charge of that line for the next 4-5 years with Allen. 

The skill positions I don’t totally care, I’m not excited about the current crop of free agent talent. 

I liked the trade thoughts in the other thread today. I like possibly adding desean Jackson here. I’d trade a 6th and eat his 10 million salary for next season just to let him ball out here with Allen. He’ll be wanting to make plays and get one more decent contract next offseason. In the end though I’ll just be happy to see some steady handed guys who catch the ball at tight end , and maybe some more speed guys added in. 

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

First off, let me just say how incredibly rare NFL talent is.  If you think about the how many kids play in High School, then College, and how few are considered to be NFL ready, it's a truly rare breed.  To think that there isn't ONE legitimate offensive star coming out of this draft out of how many Div 1 schools?  It's crazy if you think about it.  

Free Agents

WR - Chris Conley (finishing his rookie deal.  Doesn't have huge stats, but has size and speed)

WR - Kevin White (he's going to have to settle for a one year, prove it deal.  Huge boom or bust)

WR - Tyrell Williams (solid #2 out of San Diego who has the size and speed of a number 1.  May not be a true number one, but would command enough attention to let Foster or Zay do their thing)

TE - Jared Cook (#1 receiver on Oakland.  32 years old, but a true pass catcher.  Played under a 2 year, 10 mil contract.  Would be a huge boost in the interim)

RT - Daryl Williams (From Carolina.  What more is there to say?)

C - Matt Paradis

And here's where I lose all credibility.  

IF, and I only mean IF, you can get him a front loaded contract with a safe out-clause after 3 years..........

RB - Bell. 

Hear me out.  He's still incredibly young, has good speed, and proven performance.  I admit, he has red flags with the suspensions and how well is backup played in the same system.  But the big thing to me is more about Josh Allen.  Bell is a genuine threat out of the backfield as a pass catcher.  He can be the check down player Allen needs.  Also, we have 90 mil to spend and there really isn't a lot of players to spend it on.  So if Bell wants his money, give it to him up front.  Pay him a bunch in the first 3 years before he's 29 and then have it be more team friendly.  It's not our money.  

Whatever money is left, let McDermott go crazy on defensive players.  In the draft, we can still get the WR out of UB and offensive lineman depth.  

End result, imagine this lineup on the field

QB - Allen 

RB - Bell

FB - DiMarco

WR - Williams

WR - Conley

WR - Zay

WR - Foster

TE - Cook

LT - Dawkins 

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Draft

RT - Williams

To me, that's an offense that I would expect production from weekly.  Allen would have weapons all over the field.   

Yes, it's a little Madden, but it's not crazy with the money we have to spend.

Flame away

Like what you set up with a few changes. 

1. No Bell. Yes he's talented, but he stands out catching the ball out of the backfield. Not really Allen's strong suit. Would not mind kicking the tires on Ajayi and seeing what his health is like. And I may try and pair him with Tevin Coleman.

2. Not big on White, not as big on Conley as you are but would be ok. Here's someone to remember: Funchess. NOT a #1, but pair him with Tyrell Williams, Robert Foster and the kid from UB...and we have something solid.

3. Cook is fine for short term if they,plan to groom the Croom. I also wouldn't mind Jesse James.

4. Like the oline additions.

Out of your list I'd take Tyrell Williams and Paradis in a heartbeat. T Williams would immediately be the #2 wr with Foster 3 and Zay 4. We'll still have to draft a #1 wr. Paradis would solidify the oline making Bodine/Groy depth. Bell will be too costly. You can find rbs in the mid rounds. 

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is what scares me.  After the deals WR’s got last year and the lack of options, dudes are going to get highly overpaid 

There's plenty of room, honestly. I put together mock contracts for all of the guys in my plan and valued them pretty fairly (imo). The 6 guys I listed have a combined 2019 cap hit of $36M, leaving $56M for re-signing our own, draft picks, and some splashes on D (based on the $92M figure I've seen floating around). And that's with Golden Tate at 3 years $36M, and Jermaine Kearse and 4 years $24M. Even if you bumped Tate to $14M AAV and Kearse to $9M AAV we'd still probably have ~$45-50M left in 2019.

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is what scares me.  After the deals WR’s got last year and the lack of options, dudes are going to get highly overpaid 

It happens just about every year. The always increasing cap is a part of it as well.

I like your FA choices as well. I'd pass on Bell unless he overvalued his market (which probably isn't the case, see above comments). I'd be interested in Coleman from ATL. 

Edited by qwksilver

35 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm on board with most of your plan, though probably would pass on the 2nd WR Conley/White and instead use a2nd day draft pick on a rookie there instead.  Rest I like.

As for Bell, I'd be OK wit ha short term contract, though would be shocked to see Bell take that, the only was is if he way over valued his worth and no one else in all that interested.  I think he will end up in Indy, but can see him talking to the Jet's and Bills to try and drive up the offers.

Like to see them trade down to get and extra 2nd and/or 3rd rounder.  Then could potentially use 1str rounder on DL, 2nd on guard and WR, 3rd on RB and BPA maybe another lineman?

I can't disagree with this enough. They need OL bad and anything less than a first is an insult to team building. They need at least 1 tackle and 2 guards because Teller hasn't proven anything yet. WR and RB can be acquired later or through FA much easier than a LT.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I can't disagree with this enough. They need OL bad and anything less than a first is an insult to team building. They need at least 1 tackle and 2 guards because Teller hasn't proven anything yet. WR and RB can be acquired later or through FA much easier than a LT.

But his plan was to draft a guard (which I also agree with)  Unless you absolutely feel you need to move Dawkins elsewhere, you typically don't need to use a first rounder on a guard or a RT. Will Dawkins likely be an all pro LT probably not, but do think he's adequate particularity when you surrond him with better talent. Plus his plan was to sign a RT from Carolina, so if you want to move Dawkins and signed another RT, where you moving him to?  You've pretty much completely blown up the OP's original plan which is fine, but then who else are you signing. While I agree that it's easier to sign WR and RB than LT, the question is do we need really need a LT?

True Teller hasn't proved anything, but neither has any rookie you draft either.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yep.  Anyone who thinks we’re going to fix our WR  problems in free agency are kidding themselves.  We’re going to need to draft a minimum of two WR and a TE.

MY biggest issue with a guy like Tyrell Williams, who I also like, is he reminds me of the Eric Decker type situations. A good # 2 guy who is going to get like 12-13 a year and be asked to be a teams # 1 when he’s not. He is allowed to be a good WR because he has Rivers throwing the ball and multiple other playmakers that take the attention off of him(Allen, Williams, Gordon, Gates). 

Now he’ll come  to the Bills with a raw but developing QB, an aging McCoy or a rookie, Foster, McKenzie, Jones, and no TE as of right now and have all the attention on him. 

I think the smart play is to use the FA money on OL and Defensive issues, and draft your playmakers in the draft. WR, TE, RB in the first 3 rounds makes a lot of sense to me. It’s a stronger WR, TE draft than it is FA market 

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Golden Tate

Jermaine Kearse

Tyler Kroft

Quinton Spain

Mitch Morse

Ja'Wuan James

QB: Josh Allen, Matt Barkley

RB: Lesean McCoy, Chris Ivory, Marcus Murphy, Keith Ford

WR-X: Golden Tate

WR-Z: Robert Foster, Isaiah McKenzie

WR-Slot: Jermaine Kearse, Zay Jones

TE: Tyler Croft, Jason Croom

LT: Dion Dawkins, Ike Boettger

LG: Quinton Spain, Vlad Ducasse

C - Mitch Morse

RG: Wyatt Teller, Vlad Ducasse

RT: Ja'Wuan James, Ike Boettger

Draft a WR you think can eventually step into WR-X (Metcalf, Harmon, Johnson, etc.), some OL Depth, and maybe a TE.

I don't think he makes it to FA, so not excited at this point.

yeah, he won't.

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

but he stands out catching the ball out of the backfield. Not really Allen's strong suit.

That's a good point but at some stage, Allen has to make that a strong suit regardless, especially given how good he is with broken plays. He's not going to maximize his talent if he can't use Shady and Bell RBs like he should. Every quarterback should be able to benefit from a teammates' skill set.

45 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

MY biggest issue with a guy like Tyrell Williams, who I also like, is he reminds me of the Eric Decker type situations. A good # 2 guy who is going to get like 12-13 a year and be asked to be a teams # 1 when he’s not. He is allowed to be a good WR because he has Rivers throwing the ball and multiple other playmakers that take the attention off of him(Allen, Williams, Gordon, Gates). 

Now he’ll come  to the Bills with a raw but developing QB, an aging McCoy or a rookie, Foster, McKenzie, Jones, and no TE as of right now and have all the attention on him. 

I think the smart play is to use the FA money on OL and Defensive issues, and draft your playmakers in the draft. WR, TE, RB in the first 3 rounds makes a lot of sense to me. It’s a stronger WR, TE draft than it is FA market 

I agree with your draft/fa strategy and I for one am hoping McB does make a run at Ty Williams.  He's young, big and very talented.  I think he would have no problem "acting" as a temporary #1 until a draft pick develops. And now that Kyle's retirement is official, McB would be well served to emphasize OL/DL in FA. Get your young wrs, rbs & tes from the draft.

• Awesome! (+1) 1