I'll take a shot at the 2019 offense FA's

Virgil

First off, let me just say how incredibly rare NFL talent is.  If you think about the how many kids play in High School, then College, and how few are considered to be NFL ready, it's a truly rare breed.  To think that there isn't ONE legitimate offensive star coming out of this draft out of how many Div 1 schools?  It's crazy if you think about it.  

Free Agents

WR - Chris Conley (finishing his rookie deal.  Doesn't have huge stats, but has size and speed)

WR - Kevin White (he's going to have to settle for a one year, prove it deal.  Huge boom or bust)

WR - Tyrell Williams (solid #2 out of San Diego who has the size and speed of a number 1.  May not be a true number one, but would command enough attention to let Foster or Zay do their thing)

TE - Jared Cook (#1 receiver on Oakland.  32 years old, but a true pass catcher.  Played under a 2 year, 10 mil contract.  Would be a huge boost in the interim)

RT - Daryl Williams (From Carolina.  What more is there to say?)

C - Matt Paradis

And here's where I lose all credibility.  

IF, and I only mean IF, you can get him a front loaded contract with a safe out-clause after 3 years..........

RB - Bell. 

Hear me out.  He's still incredibly young, has good speed, and proven performance.  I admit, he has red flags with the suspensions and how well is backup played in the same system.  But the big thing to me is more about Josh Allen.  Bell is a genuine threat out of the backfield as a pass catcher.  He can be the check down player Allen needs.  Also, we have 90 mil to spend and there really isn't a lot of players to spend it on.  So if Bell wants his money, give it to him up front.  Pay him a bunch in the first 3 years before he's 29 and then have it be more team friendly.  It's not our money.  

Whatever money is left, let McDermott go crazy on defensive players.  In the draft, we can still get the WR out of UB and offensive lineman depth.  

End result, imagine this lineup on the field

QB - Allen 

RB - Bell

FB - DiMarco

WR - Williams

WR - Conley

WR - Zay

WR - Foster

TE - Cook

LT - Dawkins 

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Draft

RT - Williams

To me, that's an offense that I would expect production from weekly.  Allen would have weapons all over the field.   

Yes, it's a little Madden, but it's not crazy with the money we have to spend.

Flame away

• Like (+1) 6

59 minutes ago, Virgil said:

First off, let me just say how incredibly rare NFL talent is.  If you think about the how many kids play in High School, then College, and how few are considered to be NFL ready, it's a truly rare breed.  To think that there isn't ONE legitimate offensive star coming out of this draft out of how many Div 1 schools?  It's crazy if you think about it.  

Free Agents

WR - Chris Conley (finishing his rookie deal.  Doesn't have huge stats, but has size and speed)

WR - Kevin White (he's going to have to settle for a one year, prove it deal.  Huge boom or bust)

WR - Tyrell Williams (solid #2 out of San Diego who has the size and speed of a number 1.  May not be a true number one, but would command enough attention to let Foster or Zay do their thing)

TE - Jared Cook (#1 receiver on Oakland.  32 years old, but a true pass catcher.  Played under a 2 year, 10 mil contract.  Would be a huge boost in the interim)

C - Matt Paradis

IF, and I only mean IF, you can get him a front loaded contract with a safe out-clause after 3 years..........

RB - Bell. 

Hear me out.  He's still incredibly young, has good speed, and proven performance.  I admit, he has red flags with the suspensions and how well is backup played in the same system.  But the big thing to me is more about Josh Allen.  Bell is a genuine threat out of the backfield as a pass catcher.  He can be the check down player Allen needs.  Also, we have 90 mil to spend and there really isn't a lot of players to spend it on.  So if Bell wants his money, give it to him up front.  Pay him a bunch in the first 3 years before he's 29 and then have it be more team friendly.  It's not our money.  

Whatever money is left, let McDermott go crazy on defensive players.  In the draft, we can still get the WR out of UB and offensive lineman depth.  

QB - Allen 

RB - Bell

FB - DiMarco

WR - Williams

WR - Conley

WR - Zay

WR - Foster

TE - Cook

LT - Dawkins 

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Draft

RT - Williams

To me, that's an offense that I would expect production from weekly.  Allen would have weapons all over the field.   

Flame away

Other than White (bust, waste of time at this point), Cook (would command too much money, and is getting up there in age) and Bell (I'd rather stick with Shady another year, and draft a replacement in rounds 2-5, than spend this money), I like your other picks.  Conely and Tyrell WIlliams are both intriguing for me...both could likely be had for resonable prices, and both still have upside.

Thanks for the topic...

Would love Pardis, and Tyrell Williams would be a solid get..

Your right guard in the draft might be Chris Lindstrom at the top of the 2nd round..

i cannot see Bell playing in Buffalo- I think he will go where the most money is on offer and that won’t be here..

Cook never crossed my mind because I assume the Raiders will resign him given he's having a career year, but I'd be more than happy to upgrade the TE position even if it means overpaying for him as we'd save some money cutting Clay.

Kevin White is too injury prone and a bust while playing.  He was a healthy scratch against us this year so I'll pass. 

By signaling he wants to go to the Colts Bell has his eye clearly on both money and the best fit for him to put up monster stats.  We can provide the former but not the latter.  If his market comes down some then maybe we should consider it as he is a special running back with a QB on his rookie contract, but I'd rather see us spend FA money on OL, WR, DE, and MLB (move Edmunds to OLB).  I'd love the Bills to sign Ajayi and have Shady play as a 3rd down change of pace back.  CJ Anderson is another option or hoping a late RB draft pick this year turns into a stud.

I'm on board for Williams (WR), Williams (OT), and Paradis (assuming his health checks out).  Will have to overpay for all because we're the Bills.

Edited by Doc Brown

Unfortunately there are a lot of other teams wanting to attract these same players. If we could score just Conley and Paradise from free agency, and draft Williams at Left tackle, we would probably have done as well as we could reasonably have hoped.

Then draft two more O line, a running back and wide receiver in rounds two to five.

Edited by Jeff1954

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

RB - Bell. 

Gimme Gimme Gimme Bell. Dude can play football.. anywhere on the field. Great for JA. Doesn't need a juggernaut OL. Blocks, catches, finesse, power. We got money to spend and as you listed 7 FA's to sign with tons still to spare, none are proven All-Pros except Bell. All for putting in a high bid for a short term deal. Immediately kickstarts our offense and hides a lot of problems. Between him and JA, they'd make the offense look competent overnight.

And the Steelers look like absolute morons for how they've handled this season (everything. Not just Bell). Easy meltdown to see coming early on between Ben and Tomlin.. Acting as if James Connor can't get hurt. Don't see a character issue wanting to get out of that nightmare.

Can totally see him going to the Colts. Fits like a glove there.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Bills make a stronger than expected run at Bell simply because with his pass catching ability, the Bills may not need to invest the serious $$$ into the WR and TE positions in free agency that they might have to otherwise.  A Bell/McCoy backfield tandem has some interesting potential.  

(I have no issue keeping Lesean McCoy on the roster.)

I like your Paradis pick.

I wouldn't invest resources in free agents on the wrong side of 30 - especially 32 year old TEs.  

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Free Agents

WR: I'd take Kevin White on a prove-it deal, T. Williams would be nice, I'd rather have Golden Tate given past production.  Chris Conley I'm lukewarm on.  I'd also consider Eli Rodgers from the Steelers as another cheap WR. 

TE - Jared Cook (#1 receiver on Oakland.  32 years old, but a true pass catcher.  Played under a 2 year, 10 mil contract.  Would be a huge boost in the interim)  Cook would be nice.  I'd take him, or my ideal combo of Eifert (should be cheaper due to injury concerns) and Jesse James--a great all-around TE. 

C - Matt Paradis  Yes.   This has to happen.  Getting Allen a vet Center, with Bodine as a backup will be very beneficial to him. 

RB - Bell. 

I enjoy the defense of Bell, but he hesitates then hits the hole.  Here, that will result in -5 yards every carry.   I'd take Coleman in FA, and draft someone who fits a Bell profile.  Bell was a great beneficiary of the Steelers fantastic O-line.  (look at Sanders, who never was a true RB before, lighting it up behind that line). 

QB - Allen 

RB - Bell

FB - DiMarco

WR - Williams

WR - Conley

WR - Zay

WR - Foster

TE - Cook

LT - Dawkins 

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Draft

RT - Williams

Flame away

Love this.   I'll add my suggestions above!  

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

WR: I'd take Kevin White on a prove-it deal, T. Williams would be nice, I'd rather have Golden Tate given past production.  Chris Conley I'm lukewarm on.  I'd also consider Eli Rodgers from the Steelers as another cheap WR. 

I enjoy the defense of Bell, but he hesitates then hits the hole.  Here, that will result in -5 yards every carry.   I'd take Coleman in FA, and draft someone who fits a Bell profile.  Bell was a great beneficiary of the Steelers fantastic O-line.  (look at Sanders, who never was a true RB before, lighting it up behind that line). 

Love this.   I'll add my suggestions above!  

We need height at WR. Watching Allen throw up a ball to Foster was embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Thanks for the topic...

Would love Pardis, and Tyrell Williams would be a solid get..

Your right guard in the draft might be Chris Lindstrom at the top of the 2nd round..

i cannot see Bell playing in Buffalo- I think he will go where the most money is on offer and that won’t be here..

Is anyone of us not leaning forward in our chairs and getting excited over the possibility of signing Paridis?

Do a number of other moves, but this is one of those that appears to be a MUST to me...and crushing if the Jets get him.

Sorry, don't know who the Jets current starting C is.

EDIT:  I want to sign a C or draft/sign a T that I don't ever have to think about again until there contract is over.

I know many of you want a G, too.  However, I don't want to appear too greedy and jinx my first two options.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

Golden Tate

Jermaine Kearse

Tyler Kroft

Quinton Spain

Mitch Morse

Ja'Wuan James

QB: Josh Allen, Matt Barkley

RB: Lesean McCoy, Chris Ivory, Marcus Murphy, Keith Ford

WR-X: Golden Tate

WR-Z: Robert Foster, Isaiah McKenzie

WR-Slot: Jermaine Kearse, Zay Jones

TE: Tyler Croft, Jason Croom

LT: Dion Dawkins, Ike Boettger

LG: Quinton Spain, Vlad Ducasse

C - Mitch Morse

RG: Wyatt Teller, Vlad Ducasse

RT: Ja'Wuan James, Ike Boettger

Draft a WR you think can eventually step into WR-X (Metcalf, Harmon, Johnson, etc.), some OL Depth, and maybe a TE.

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Is anyone of us not leaning forward in our chairs and getting excited over the possibility of signing Paridis?

I don't think he makes it to FA, so not excited at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Golden Tate

Jermaine Kearse

Tyler Kroft

Quinton Spain

Mitch Morse

Ja'Wuan James

QB: Josh Allen, Matt Barkley

RB: Lesean McCoy, Chris Ivory, Marcus Murphy, Keith Ford

WR-X: Golden Tate

WR-Z: Robert Foster, Isaiah McKenzie

WR-Slot: Jermaine Kearse, Zay Jones

TE: Tyler Croft, Jason Croom

LT: Dion Dawkins, Ike Boettger

LG: Quinton Spain, Vlad Ducasse

C - Mitch Morse

RG: Wyatt Teller, Vlad Ducasse

RT: Ja'Wuan James, Ike Boettger

Draft a WR you think can eventually step into WR-X (Metcalf, Harmon, Johnson, etc.), some OL Depth, and maybe a TE.

I don't think he makes it to FA, so not excited at this point.

I'd sorta like to move Dawkins inside to LG and draft a potentially better LT as I think Dawkins is just okay there. Not sure if Jonah Williams or Greg Little are worth taking a chance on in the draft though. In general, I like your thinking. Personally, I like Metcalf if his neck injury is not a perduring issue.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We need height at WR. Watching Allen throw up a ball to Foster was embarrassing. 

we do need height, although fast height.   I like DJax because he alleges that no QB can outthrow him.  plus, him, T. Williams, and Foster and Zay would be hard to cover.  I'd take T. Williams if we go tall. 

I think with the cap space and 10 draft picks you may see them go after someone like RFA Rashard Higgins WR Cleveland.

Solid Slot receiver who can play outside when asked.

Draft a round 2 WR, someone like Preston Williams WR Colorado St or Hakeem Butler WR Iowa St.

Foster

Zay

Higgins

Williams

McKenzie

If not a WR round 2 someone like TJ Hockenson TE Iowa.

RBs I like Josh Jacobs & LJ Scott

FA Oline C Paradis/Morse, OT Juwaun James

With Kyle leaving I bet round 1 is best defensive Player available.  Josh Allen, Devin White, Ed Oliver, Derek Brown, Jeffery Simmons, Rashan Gary

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'd sorta like to move Dawkins inside to LG and draft a potentially better LT as I think Dawkins is just okay there. Not sure if Jonah Williams or Greg Little are worth taking a chance on in the draft though. In general, I like your thinking. Personally, I like Metcalf if his neck injury is not a perduring issue.

Ideally I'd agree, but FA is before the draft so you can't let what you want to happen in the draft dictate your FA signings. I'm not so high on Jonah, and think he's better suited for guard (like Dawkins). I'm not sure Greg Little loves football. If he does I would certainly be interested in him depending on who is left when we pick.

If FA played out like I outlined above I'd go for pass rush in round 1 and WR in round 2, assuming the value is there.

• Like (+1) 1