Marijuana to treat CTE in NFL players

How does it require a big mysterious scientific find to tell us that taking thousands of hard hits to your head in football is going to be a bad thing for you?

And another predictable assertion by pot smokers that pot cures more ailments than a travelling snake oil show used to promise.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

How does it require a big mysterious scientific find to tell us that taking thousands of hard hits to your head in football is going to be a bad thing for you?

And another predictable assertion by pot smokers that pot cures more ailments than a travelling snake oil show used to promise.

Nothing bad with cannabis oils but I suppose opioids get a fair pass for being approved.  

4 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Nothing bad with cannabis oils but I suppose opioids get a fair pass for being approved.  

Nothing wrong with the approved use of opioids to get through short-term extreme pain levels caused by medical operations.

About 24 people in my life the last 2 years went through operations and were prescribed opioids and they used them and ended the use when the pain was gone, as directed.

Edited by row_33

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Nothing wrong with the approved use of opioids to get through short-term extreme pain levels caused by medical operations.

About 24 people in my life the last 2 years went through operations and were prescribed opioids and they used them and ended the use when the pain was gone, as directed.

Did they really; would not be holding anything back and typing this up as a Gagnon type anti-weed memo right?  

9 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Seantrel Henderson disagrees

Seantrel smoked Weed before he ever had Crones Disease.  He was suspended multiple times for weed abuse going back to college.

If it was about the disease he could of worked with the NFL for an exemption, but he did not because it was not the CBD to treat the disease he craved - it was the actual pot and the high feeling.

There are treatments using CBD that can be helpful without getting the high feeling.  

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Seantrel smoked Weed before he ever had Crones Disease.  He was suspended multiple times for weed abuse going back to college.

If it was about the disease he could of worked with the NFL for an exemption, but he did not because it was not the CBD to treat the disease he craved - it was the actual pot and the high feeling.

There are treatments using CBD that can be helpful without getting the high feeling.  

Right I agree.  The Seantrel reference was a joke

9 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I take CBD oil and it has worked wonders for me. I also smoke weed occasionally and it helps me with anxiety and depression. 

CBD could be used - it typically has very low levels of other cannabinoids and THC that is in the drug testing.  Plus at the NFL level the THC cutoff is quite high as they raised levels.

In reality if players wanted to actually treat illness they could do it with CBD oil and most likely never get caught if they are getting the oil from a respectable company that removes as many impurities as possible.

The problem is that players are not using it for illness - even if they try to use it as an excuse.  They are getting high and that is banned.

9 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

This a post filled with misinformation about the health benefits of marijuana.

its not a magic plant dude.

Well, we don't really know what it does or doesn't do because being on Schedule 1 makes it next to impossible to conduct serious scientific study in the USA. 

• Like (+1) 1

IMO, most NFL players, just like millions of Americans smoke weed because they like the high.

It should be legal everywhere including the NFL.

CBD works for many conditions and I know that first hand as I take it for my peripheral neuropathy,  it lessens the pain in my feet.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Neither Opioids or Marijuana in moderation are an issue, but just like alcohol or other prescription drugs - when abused they cause problems.

The issue is that opioids are being abused and people are bringing in tainted drugs like laced Fentanyl and it is killing people.

Many people (including NFL players) could use CBD oil for treatment and get many of the same effects - especially with quick absorbing oil under the tongue that gets into the system as fast as smoking weed, but you lose the good feeling associated with weed.  

The difficult part is why is someone taking or using the weed are they abusing it or taking it for management of illness.  What studies are showing in states that have legalized pot use - is that the number of “high” drivers and accidents are up because they are looking for it now and it is becoming a huge issue.  

Another  issue is that until there is good long term benefits versus risks analysis done and the actual rate of addiction is determined- everything is just people’s opinion.  I always hear people say well pot is not addicting and that is bull as can be shown by the number of people that continue even when it will cost them their job or livelihood.  The drug may not be as addictive as something like opioids, but the feeling created becomes something you crave and that becomes addictive.

There are also studies being done looking at how feelings of anxiety and depression initially become better, but after long term use - the feelings get stronger making user crave more drug and faster between use doses.  

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

My BIL was diagnosed with Parkinson’s more than a decade ago. Marijuana and regular exercise helped him tremendously. It’s real. Unfortunately, he’s now got a serious spinal issue and may never walk again. Lack of progress will get him tossed from rehab center, only to be sent home where my sister can’t care for him alone.

I have to go ahead and get my long term care policy my wife has been after for years. You could blow through a fortune and be broke in no time without it. I’d rather die than do that to my family. Look into that, my friends. 

Proceed with caution. Lots of shady companies in the long-term care business.