Brian Daboll: Comments On Head Coaching Opportunities

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Secured him for at least 3 years" doesn't matter.  Coordinators are allowed to interview for step-up (HC) positions.

McVay took the offense that was #23 in the league on points and #26 his first year, and helped it improve to #10 and #12 on points his 2nd and 3rd year (3rd year #3 on yds), losing Jackson and Crowder between the two.  I would say it's not quite the same thing; McVay at least had a track record of improving an NFL offense.

Now, if the Rams had offered McVay the HC job after his first year, when he'd taken the offense from #23 to #26, yeah, I would have said almost the same.

I said the same thing about Pettine when the Browns offered him the HC gig.

Seriously?  Now that's funny.

Well, sure.  But I had hoped we were looking at better days now.

You missed my point...Not even gonna bother explaining myself.

Next.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Tough sell to fans.  We're going to hire an offensive coordinator who's ranked 32nd, 29th, 22nd, 24th, and 31st in five years at the position, but don't worry he's hung around Sabon and Belichick a lot as their coordinators have become solid NFL head coaches.

To your point, here's his QB each year you refer to:

32nd (2009) - Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn

29th (2009) - Colt McCoy, 35 year-old Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace

22nd (2010) - Matt Moore and Chad Henne

24th (2011) - Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn

31st (2018) - Nate Peterman, Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley and Josh Allen

I know nobody here wants to hear it. After all, the OC is always the easiest scapegoat around. But the reason Daboll's still respected around the league, still getting mentioned for head coaching jobs, still getting employed by Belichick and Saban, and still getting this shot at OCing here in Buffalo is simple ... people recognize he's been handicapped by personnel at every stop. They see him doing as good a job as is reasonably possible with the personnel given him. This was always going to be a pretty terrible offense unless Allen somehow made monster jumps upwards and played like Marino or Roethlisberger as a rookie. He hasn't.

But why do I bother? It's much easier and more fun to grab a pitchfork and a torch, join the mob and run screaming towards the castle.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What makes this clear?

There has been speculation, but there's always speculation.  Reporter speculation isn't equal to "clear" NFL regard.
The only links I could find (and I searched) is this article pointing out a betting site had odds on him (that's a sign of gambler thinking, not NFL regard) and a sports reporter covering Green Bay had him on a list of possible McCarthy replacements.

Because reporter soeculation just doesn’t come out of thin air.  There’s a reason as to why they would ask the question.  I don’t recall Gregg Roman or Rock Dennison getting  these kinds of questions when they were OC.

If you searched for links, then you probably missed the biggest reason why there’s been speculation.  Brett Favre recommending that GB interview Daboll/

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/12/brett_favre_buffalo_bills_oc_brian_daboll_should_get_packers_hc_consideration.html

I actually think he’s done an amazing job this season with this offense. 

Nobody calls perfect games. 

But I do think he’s done a great job designing routes for these guys to get open. They just tend to not make the play. 

I think Allen has come along nicely and better than expected. 

I absolutely love the 5 wide receiver spread out look we’ve been seeing. 

As coordinator you can design all the stuff you want, but if the players can’t execute even the simplest of plays (looking at the first few games mostly) what’s the point? 

We couldn’t run any decent passing plays without a hold.. 

Seems every decent run 10+ yards there’s a hold. 

How many touchdowns and catchable balls dropped? Or not classified as a drop but we know the receiver could make that catch we see tons of other teams making those plays. 

The 2018 buffalo bills left a ton of plays and points on the field on offense. I’ve been in almost every game day thread this season and a giant majority of us have been irate at our guys not making plays. Daboll has done a great job with this offense and talent given. That’s just my opinion and plenty can disagree. I can’t defend every move he’s made. 

But when it comes to him and McDermott I do cut them some slack on being conservative mainly because this offense has been pathetic most of the season just executing the simplest of plays. When things are actually flowing and going well they have shown they can call an aggressive game. 

As far as a head coaching gig, it’s tough to say. I don’t know or haven’t seen enough to know if daboll is a leader 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He has called pretty good games all season. His problem is being plagued by really bad qbs throughout his career (and the bills' qbs have collectively terrible this year). Given his track, Ithough, I simply can't see him getting a head coach job.

Now see, here's where we just disagree.  Of course, even from coach's film, it's sometimes hard to tell what the play call actually was and even fans who know a bit may disagree.

But I think his play calling is......let's call it, often situationally strange.  I think that has been a factor in the frequent 3-and-outs that have plagued us on O.  This has continued through the season.  I've talked about this with @Buffalo716, maybe he can do a better job explaining what I mean here. 

At times, especially early in the season, his apparent play design featured layered mis-directions that seemed to confuse us more than they confused the D.  I will give credit and say he improved this aspect as the season went on.

And at the start of the season, whoever schemed it up, there was this totally awful complicated run blocking featuring motion our guys aren't agile enough to pull off, and lots of cut blocking they also couldn't pull off.  It frequently resulted in 3 or more of our linemen sprawled on the turf while unblocked defenders hurdle them to nail the RB in the backfield.  Again, I'll give credit and say this has improved as the season went on.

Both of the above beg the question, why was this not all sorted out preseason? 

All 3 seem like a guy who is trying too hard to be clever and sometimes outsmarting himself.

I do agree with @Rc2catch above, that execution has been an issue, and that at times the play design has been clever and effective at getting guys open and they just haven't made the play.  But there's also that "situational strangeness" aspect. 

• Like (+1) 2

Put yourself mentally in the position of whichever fan base were to be stuck with him as their new HC...can you imagine the message boards blowing up in enthusiastic anticipation of what's to come? Hardly. You know they would be freaking out over what such outsiders know of the Bills this year, in a bad way.

He still needs to actually prove he has what it takes at this level, and for too many times this year, talent/injuries notwithstanding, he simply couldn't get it done for whatever reason. That said, he's been on an upwards trajectory since Josh came back, and I think that he therefore does deserve to come back next year and prove he was better than appearances all along. But to jump from this year to a HC job? Bloody unlikely, IMHO. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now see, here's where we just disagree.  Of course, even from coach's film, it's sometimes hard to tell what the play call actually was and even fans who know a bit may disagree.

But I think his play calling is......let's call it, often situationally strange.  I think that has been a factor in the frequent 3-and-outs that have plagued us on O.  This has continued through the season.  I've talked about this with @Buffalo716, maybe he can do a better job explaining what I mean here. 

At times, especially early in the season, his apparent play design featured layered mis-directions that seemed to confuse us more than they confused the D.  I will give credit and say he improved this aspect as the season went on.

And at the start of the season, whoever schemed it up, there was this totally awful complicated run blocking featuring motion our guys aren't agile enough to pull off, and lots of cut blocking they also couldn't pull off.  It frequently resulted in 3 or more of our linemen sprawled on the turf while unblocked defenders hurdle them to nail the RB in the backfield.  Again, I'll give credit and say this has improved as the season went on.

All 3 seem like a guy who is trying too hard to be clever and sometimes outsmarting himself.

I do agree with @Rc2catch above, that execution has been an issue, and that at times the play design has been clever and effective at getting guys open and they just haven't made the play.  But there's also that "situational strangeness" aspect. 

Good post, but it's also the case that you don't really know what you have until the real bullets start flying.  With regard to more complex running plays, you have to run them to get better at them. McDermott clearly wants a run-heavy team, but if you want to be able to compare with the NEs, Baltimores, and old Harbaugh 49ers on that front, you have to work at it. Running a super-simplified scheme simply doesn't work in today's NFL, and you're never going to be better than below-average if you settle for really basic schemes. Plus there was the ridiculous QB situation and the now-readily apparent decline of their bell cow, McCoy, who has been flat-out terrible this year (it pains me to say this; I've defended McCoy for a long time). Plus the receiving corps, of which nothing needs to be said. On that front, give Daboll credit for making Foster their main guy and scheming to get him open. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Where the heck is this narrative he did good with the personnel we have come from?!?!

WE ARE 31st IN THE LEAGUE IN OFFENSE!!!!

The 32nd team fired their OC.

It's not like we are middle of the pack or even average.  We have crap personnel, crap OC and crap stats.  It's all together.

Edited by Ittakestime
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

To your point, here's his QB each year you refer to:

32nd (2009) - Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn

29th (2009) - Colt McCoy, 35 year-old Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace

22nd (2010) - Matt Moore and Chad Henne

24th (2011) - Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn

31st (2018) - Nate Peterman, Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley and Josh Allen

I know nobody here wants to hear it. After all, the OC is always the easiest scapegoat around. But the reason Daboll's still respected around the league, still getting mentioned for head coaching jobs, still getting employed by Belichick and Saban, and still getting this shot at OCing here in Buffalo is simple ... people recognize he's been handicapped by personnel at every stop. They see him doing as good a job as is reasonably possible with the personnel given him. This was always going to be a pretty terrible offense unless Allen somehow made monster jumps upwards and played like Marino or Roethlisberger as a rookie. He hasn't.

But why do I bother? It's much easier and more fun to grab a pitchfork and a torch, join the mob and run screaming towards the castle.

He still hasn't proven himself and I'd want to see some significant progress as an offensive coordinator when he does have better personnel in order to consider him head coaching material.  I'm fine with him staying on as offensive coordinator, but there are much better head coaching candidates out there.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hey Hapless 

I definitely think that the playcalling has improved as the season went on though it started poorly... could be Daboll didn’t have The personnel he wanted

As we talked about early in the season... there was a lot of too cute plays... strange designs..

Cut blocking tackles on pass plays, cutting lineman on run plays... layered misdirections that confused our team more than opponent ...

led to a lot of 3rd and longs... and 3 and outs... the offense was stagnant 

Mckenzie got scooped... Daboll put new life into the offense... started running lots of jet sweeps.. which kept the defense honest and the outside contain from crashing 

Allen’s threat to run also kept the D ends from crashing hard every play 

So as the year went on Daboll spread teams Horizontally to spread them out and then vertically down the field into open spaces 

the 15-20 yard hitch or in cut was a huge throw for Allen that most QBs do not make because they fear the throw

• Like (+1) 1

What an awesome belated Christmas present this would be!!! But he would only get a job if Rick Dennison turns it down.  

Im sure Daboll knows a lot about football and is a good guy.  But millions dollars on the line, are you betting he will suddenly have a top 10 offense or a bottom 10 offense next year?

SM isn’t going to fire him because he would look awful since it would be his 3rd OC in 3 years.  But I’m sick of being Bills fans and just having to settle for crap.  There are people thinking it would be a step back if we lose a guy who direct a 15 point offense (with a good defense that helps with field position$.  I wonder if these are the same people who thought our offense couldn’t possibly get worse than it was last year!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Laugh all you want.  All I know is that some have said he would be a great HC including Brett Favre who publicly lobbied for him to get a shot at GB’s opening.

Clearly you didn’t read the article so I’ll sum it up for you.  There was enough talk that members of the media asked Daboll about it.  But I guess the rumors aren’t true because you think he’s not very good

Saying he thinks Daboll would be a great fit, not that he's been asked of his opinion, is not exactly "publicly lobbying" for his hire. Its just his opinion.

That said, Daboll has not taken the league by storm in his opportunities in the NFL. And consequently is not, or probably considered to be by his peers,  ready for that leap...as of now

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Saying he thinks Daboll would be a great fit, not that he's been asked of his opinion, is not exactly "publicly lobbying" for his hire. Its just his opinion.

That said, Daboll has not taken the league by storm in his opportunities in the NFL. And consequently is not, or probably considered to be by his peers,  ready for that leap...as of now

You misread what I wrote.  I said that Farve “publicly lobbied” for him y to get a chance to interview as HC in Green Bay.  He said he would be a great fit.

Farve knows Daboll from his season with the Jets.  This likely was his attempt at getting his friend’s name out there and it seemingly worked 

Just now, BillyWhiteShows said:

You misread what I wrote.  I said that Farve “publicly lobbied” for him y to get a chance to interview as HC in Green Bay.  He said he would be a great fit.

Farve knows Daboll from his season with the Jets.  This likely was his attempt at getting his friend’s name out there and it seemingly worked 

Yes, I seen the interview. Again, he didn't lobby for him to get chance. He merely said he thought he'd be a good fit