Brian Daboll: Comments On Head Coaching Opportunities

21 minutes ago, Rico said:

If Mike Pettine can be hired from the Bills to be a head coach in the NFL, then so can Brian Daboll. Anything's possible.

Yes.

And Pettine was the Browns 5th or 6th choice.

I don't think Daboll or Frazier are anyone's first choice, but that doesn't mean they aren't on a list and that it couldn't happen.

3 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

I don't think Daboll or Frazier are anyone's first choice, but that doesn't mean they aren't on a list and that it couldn't happen.

I'd be surprised if Daboll or Frazier is anyones 20th choice, but I at least hope someone takes Frazier off our hands.

• Thank you (+1) 1

First Frazier now Daboll gunna get head coaching jobs..

Didnt know that other teams considered the brains that took this team to 5 wins so highly..

Where is the love for Crossman though?

Ive got a gut feeling Frazier and Daboll will be back in Buffalo in 2019... a few interviews wouldn’t surprise though for teams that already have their other candidate in mind but need to go through the motions..

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

First Frazier now Daboll gunna get head coaching jobs..

Didnt know that other teams considered the brains that took this team to 5 wins so highly..

Where is the love for Crossman though?

Ive got a gut feeling Frazier and Daboll will be back in Buffalo in 2019... a few interviews wouldn’t surprise though for teams that already have their other candidate in mind but need to go through the motions..

Castillo's name has also been bandied about for the impending opening in Denver.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/e8b0c72f33ea4/what-bills-brian-daboll-said-a.html

To anyone that doubts the interest in Brian Daboll as Head Coach next season, there have rumors and a reporter asked him about the opportunity.  

Daboll didn’t directly answer the question.  He only said, “this is my hometown and I love it here” before trailing off.

Call me crazy but I think there might be a chance (though not a huge one) that he gets a head coaching job. 

College or pro?  College is certainly less crazy? 

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Clearly he highly regarded in the NFL.  It’s not like this is just my speculation.  It’s talked about enough that reporters straight-up asked him about the possibility.  I feel that the talk intensified when Brett Favre said he should be considered for Green Bay’s HC job.  

What makes this clear?

There has been speculation, but there's always speculation.  Reporter speculation isn't equal to "clear" NFL regard.
The only links I could find (and I searched) is this article pointing out a betting site had odds on him (that's a sign of gambler thinking, not NFL regard) and a sports reporter covering Green Bay had him on a list of possible McCarthy replacements.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If we are being objective we certainly can relate.:flirt:

Jauron?  Total proven turd who even DETROIT wouldn't hire after his interim gig.

Mularkey?  Was on the outs as OC in Pitt when the Steelers gratefully let Donahoe take him.

Gailey?    Fired at GA Tech and then as OC of the Chiefs before getting the Bills HC job.

This.

There are worse candidates that have been handed the reigns, and Daboll has the connections to pull together a coaching staff and that is more than half the battle.

Folks should be careful what they wish for - Daboll is far from the worst OC I have seen calling plays for the Bills.

I would like to have him around for another year with a more capable o-line to see what he can do with it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

to be  more honest. I have read a couple blurbs about Daboll moving up.
nice compliment. But lets hope they secured him for at least 3 years and will look at it again post 2019.

"Secured him for at least 3 years" doesn't matter.  Coordinators are allowed to interview for step-up (HC) positions.

1 hour ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

You probably said the same when the Rams offered Sean McVay the HC job...

McVay took the offense that was #23 in the league on points and #26 his first year, and helped it improve to #10 and #12 on points his 2nd and 3rd year (3rd year #3 on yds), losing Jackson and Crowder between the two.  I would say it's not quite the same thing; McVay at least had a track record of improving an NFL offense.

Now, if the Rams had offered McVay the HC job after his first year, when he'd taken the offense from #23 to #26, yeah, I would have said almost the same.

I said the same thing about Pettine when the Browns offered him the HC gig.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Castillo's name has also been bandied about for the impending opening in Denver.

Seriously?  Now that's funny.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If we are being objective we certainly can relate.:flirt:

Jauron?  Total proven turd who even DETROIT wouldn't hire after his interim gig.

Mularkey?  Was on the outs as OC in Pitt when the Steelers gratefully let Donahoe take him.

Gailey?    Fired at GA Tech and then as OC of the Chiefs before getting the Bills HC job.

Well, sure.  But I had hoped we were looking at better days now.

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/e8b0c72f33ea4/what-bills-brian-daboll-said-a.html

To anyone that doubts the interest in Brian Daboll as Head Coach next season, there have rumors and a reporter asked him about the opportunity.  

Daboll didn’t directly answer the question.  He only said, “this is my hometown and I love it here” before trailing off.

Call me crazy but I think there might be a chance (though not a huge one) that he gets a head coaching job. 

I don't know that was in his Press Conference today and he did seem to be talking like he'd be here for the next season.

Tough sell to fans.  We're going to hire an offensive coordinator who's ranked 32nd, 29th, 22nd, 24th, and 31st in five years at the position, but don't worry he's hung around Sabon and Belichick a lot as their coordinators have become solid NFL head coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Highly regarded as what? It’s not like he’s proven to be some innovative offensive mind with a history of having good offenses or getting the most out of QBs.

His best qualification is having worked under BB and Saban. 

Exactly. 

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Highly regarded as what? It’s not like he’s proven to be some innovative offensive mind with a history of having good offenses or getting the most out of QBs.

His best qualification is having worked under BB and Saban. 

I know plenty here in Buffalo don't see it, but around the league he's seen as having done a very good job this year with poor personnel.

And that's what I see too.

My guess is that he won't get a head coaching job this year but if  the offense improves next year as I expect it will, he might easily get one next year.