Sal Maiorana: Is Jason Croom Ready to Become the Bills' Starting TE in 2019?

26CornerBlitz

Is Jason Croom Ready to Be the Starting TE Next Season?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Is Jason Croom Ready to Be the Starting TE Next Season?

• Yes. He's Ready.
    • No. He'll never be starting caliber.
    • Could be, but needs more development

1 hour ago, dlonce said:

He cannot block, a TE that cannot block isn’t a TE.

Crooms isn’t  even back up quality. He’s Logan Thomas.

He runs terrible routes as well and his hands are suspect.

This teams management is fascinated with marginal projects who take up a spot on special teams. 

Croom is growing as a second top tier set tightend who makes smart heads up plays.  Centers missing his assignments though. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No.

Next question.

He is the one of our three TEs I would be least annoyed to see back, but no way as a starter and my actual preference is to cut ties with all three and completely start over. Still say that the guy we cut and will play against on Sunday would have outperformed all 3 guys on this roster this year. No, Nick O'Leary is not a superstar. He is not even starting calibre himself. But we have persisted with a bloke with no knees, a practice squad level talent and a failed ex QB who has no business being on any NFL roster.

Couldn't agree more.

Gragg was the last failed project from a previous regime, but there seem to have been numerous others.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

These are the kind of ideas that come from a franchise whose greatest TE of all-time MAY be Charles Clay. I can say, with some confidence, that Bills TEs are at (or near) the top of the list for worst position group ever. No franchise has ever been as inept at a particular position. 

I suppose "Croom is about to break out" is at least different from "Logan Thomas is about to break out" which is what we have heard for what seems like the last dozen offseasons.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I suppose "Croom is about to break out" is at least different from "Logan Thomas is about to break out" which is what we have heard for what seems like the last dozen offseasons.

The Bills haven’t sent a TE to the Pro Bowl since 1966! Think about that. It’s been 52 years (and a completely different game) since the Bills had a guy that was considered in the top 5 or 6 in their conference!! With injuries, dropouts, and such, there are years that they get to 6 maybe even 7 different guys!! At the worst it is 3. There hasn’t been a time in 52 years that the Bills has a TE in the top 20% of their conference!! That’s almost impossible. It’s a statistical anomaly. 

That is how we end up talking ourselves into Croom or Thomas. We have no idea what a good TE looks like. We’ve never seen one!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Croom was a wide receiver who has made a transition to tight end.  It's no surprise, therefore, that his receiving skills are ahead of his blocking skills.  He is a really good athlete for the tight end position.  Yes, there are things he needs to work on, including the notion that retaining possession is more important than fighting four or five defenders for an extra yard after you already have the first down.  I think he's going to continue to improve in all areas because he does have a strong work ethic to go with his excellent athleticism.