Sal Maiorana: Is Jason Croom Ready to Become the Bills' Starting TE in 2019?

26CornerBlitz

Is Jason Croom Ready to Be the Starting TE Next Season?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Is Jason Croom Ready to Be the Starting TE Next Season?

• Yes. He's Ready.
    • No. He'll never be starting caliber.
    • Could be, but needs more development

ORCHARD PARK – The 2018 season is just days from its conclusion and the Bills are out of the playoff chase for the 18th time in 19 years, but this unfortunate circumstance does not change a thing for Jason Croom.

It doesn’t matter that there’s nothing on the line in Sunday’s meeting with Miami. Like all young players trying to carve their niche, Croom understands there are only 16 games in a season, and this is one more opportunity for him to show what he can do as he tries to secure a roster spot for 2019.

That’s why, for the second-year tight end, the end of practice is never truly the end of practice because there’s always something to work on, especially for a former undrafted free agent who has so much to prove. 

So, when Sean McDermott blew his whistle to end the formal day of work Wednesday, Croom sought out tight ends coach Rob Boras, as he does every day, to work on his pass blocking sets. And after a few minutes, he trotted over to the JUGS machine and caught about 25-30 balls. After a quick trip through the locker room, it was off to the weight room to lift.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

26 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

This is one of the worst ideas I have seen for 2019. 

How is having a guy with his kind of work ethic on this team bad? He is only a second-year player, he can continue to improve. 

I don't think the guy can be an every-down TE, but he is probably good depth at a cheap price.  

I can't stomach reading Maoirana--(aka the New Jerry Sullivan) but I get the question.   

The answer is simple:  Bring him in camp, draft another TE and sign a free agent as well.   Did we conclude that Khari Lee is only a blocker?   He sure had a great clutch grab in early ball this year.  I don't know why but I feel like Logan Thomas isn't a gamer, despite his proven athleticism.

Lot of free agent TE's this year as well and a very deep draft for TE's.

Bring in 6 or 7, keep 4.   

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

How is having a guy with his kind of work ethic on this team bad? He is only a second-year player, he can continue to improve. 

I don't think the guy can be an every-down TE, but he is probably good depth at a cheap price.  

“Is Jason Croom ready to become the Bills starting tight end in 2019”

So you agree it’s a bad idea. 

3 minutes ago, WMDman said:

i like him as depth thats it

Me too. I see no reason to cut him. Charles Clay & Logan Thomas on the other hand.....Bye-Bye!

Sign another Tight End in Free Agency and then draft Zach Gentry. That would make me happy.

Clay & Thomas need to go. The real toss up question would be which TE out of those 2 would you rather keep, because I wouldn't want either of them here.

With roster spots at a premium you just can't dedicate 5 or 6 years on a project tight end with his type of production. He may have good physical traits but they're not that great lol.

We haven't had a good TE here since Chandler or Metzelaars which is a big problem imo. They create mismatches on defense & help your QB out. Something Tyrod & Allen desperately needed. If theres 1 thing we do this offseason PLEASE get a good TE

Edited by brianthomas

I don't think he's ready to be "the guy" of the tight end group but I certainly think he can play an important role. Remember, the dude played wide receiver for most of his college career. Don't quote me, but I think he shifted to TE in his senior season. He's got size and athleticism, obviously he's still learning how to be a well-rounded TE but, I think he's a guy you keep working with and see where he can go. He definitely seems to have the right type of character and mindset McBeane prefer. I'd just like him to learn to know when he's beaten, and by that I mean, if you're surrounded by five defenders with four of them already on your back, maybe just say "screw it" to the extra half-a-yard you're trying to get and get down so you don't fumble. That's happened twice to him this year and once last year if I recall correctly, can't cough it up like that. Especially this past Sunday's situation. I mean, I get it, he was trying to break free and score but he has to know when he's beat and when to secure the ball and just hit the turf. Didn't do that and he cost the team points. That extra half-yard ain't worth losing the ball. He'll learn...maybe... 

I had high hopes for Logan Thomas but that drop on Sunday basically closed the door on him for me. He's JAG and he's just barely made the cut last year and this year so...unless he shows immense improvement next season, I think he'll be shown the door.

They need a tight end with a wonky last name like Metzelaars or Riemersma, those guys panned out alright, maybe a guy named Jablonkski or Grundlesnork can come in and be the guy.

Edited by blacklabel

6 minutes ago, jjmac said:

I think the choices are somewhat flawed.  "Needs More Development" means the same as "No."  If, 26CornerBlitz, you meant to have more of a difference, I think you could have said 'No, and never will be." 

Modified the choices based on your suggestion. :thumbsup:

Crook might be a decent TE 2. As with most TEs his blocking ability is poor, he’s more of a receiving threat. He also needs to work on ball security. Draft a TE that has legit starting talent unless a FA option should emerge. I’d keep Croom as he’s shown  some ability, but all others should be let go.