Buffalo News: PFF Breaks Down Josh Allen's Accuracy "Issue"

Thurman#1

There's no denying the kid makes plays no other quarterback can make. I've altered that from few because that rope he threw in the second half was insane as well as the long TD run. Just don't see it from anyone else.

There's also no denying that he threw several errant passes that you don't see from the top QB's. This is likely to be a sentimental day here at TBD with Kyle retiring and the offense lighting up the scoreboard, but we've got to keep things in perspective. If he can cut down on those errors, he's going to be a franchise QB.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

There's no denying the kid makes plays no other quarterback can make. I've altered that from few because that rope he threw in the second half was insane as well as the long TD run. Just don't see it from anyone else.

There's also no denying that he threw several errant passes that you don't see from the top QB's. This is likely to be a sentimental day here at TBD with Kyle retiring and the offense lighting up the scoreboard, but we've got to keep things in perspective. If he can cut down on those errors, he's going to be a franchise QB.

If he can consistantly play like he did today....then he i a franchise QB

but today was one of his best games

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If he can consistantly play like he did today....then he i a franchise QB

but today was one of his best games

I think that's what everyone is looking for. Unlike college, can he make performances like today a regular havit or not. 

when its 3rd down and whatever distance,  i believe that we have a chance to convert,  big difference from the QB i had to watch the last 4 years.    Allen is rough around the edges,  hes also a gamechanger,  and at this early point in his career thats a rare thing.    You can get better in the accuracy dept,  as well as reading the field.   You cant get better at the purely physical gifts that can make a player have an advantage over others.   Very satisfied with his rookie season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I want to quickly address Hapless's point about how we don't really know on any of these throws whether the receiver ran the route correctly, and so therefore we can't say for sure that these off target throws are actually Allen's fault.

I think it's very valid on timing throws where the throw is made before the receiver makes his break; however, shouldn't we still put at least some (if not most) of the blame on the QB for not adjusting once he sees the receiver cut on an 80 degree angle as appose to 70 degrees for example? This isn't a video game where you pick your play and only throw to a spot regardless of what else is happening. IRL things change and we re-calculate on the spot. Food for thought. 

Edited by VW82

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

There's also no denying that he threw several errant passes that you don't see from the top QB's.

Yup!

Josh Allen has the type of errant passes that keep teams from going far in the playoffs, if they ever get to the playoffs.  QB accuracy problems seldom, if ever, get corrected.

:mellow:

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I watch a lot of football - you probably do too.   I see great QBs throw errant passes all the time.  Every game.

I think we get too hung up in Allen’s accuracy because it was the main concern for him coming out of college.  So, every time a pass sails, it’s like “there it is! Scouts were right.”  It just seems so minor to me compared to how he plays the game as a whole.  

3 minutes ago, Success said:

I watch a lot of football - you probably do too.   I see great QBs throw errant passes all the time.  Every game.

I think we get too hung up in Allen’s accuracy because it was the main concern for him coming out of college.  So, every time a pass sails, it’s like “there it is! Scouts were right.”  It just seems so minor to me compared to how he plays the game as a whole.  

And I just watched Mahomes sail 3 in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I want to quickly address Hapless's point about how we don't really know on any of these throws whether the receiver ran the route correctly, and so therefore we can't say for sure that these off target throws are actually Allen's fault.

I think it's very valid on timing throws where the throw is made before the receiver makes his break; however, shouldn't we still put at least some (if not most) of the blame on the QB for not adjusting once he sees the receiver cut on an 80 degree angle as appose to 70 degrees for example? This isn't a video game where you pick your play and only throw to a spot regardless of what else is happening. IRL we calculate on the spot. Food for thought. 

Some merit to this.  My thought about it is that it is difficult to see that 20 yards down the field when bodies are flying all around you and you have 2 seconds to throw the ball.  I understand that great QBs do this.  Probably some average QBs too.  Even some rookies.  Josh is a rookie who had little real competitive college experience.  Obviously he has some strides to make.  I like what I see so far though.

A further comment...  Some of these off target throws aren't really off target.  One of the ones to Zay that he threw behind him on a quick slant was likely on purpose to keep the ball away from the defender for instance.  Some people around here would call that inaccuracy when likely it was not.  He does each and every game though throw a few passes that make you think WTF.  I will not deny that.

Allen has a long way to go.  If he gets there though, this league better watch out.  I don't know if he will get there or not.  I would like to see him with some WR that can get separation more consistently, make more routine catches, and fight for 50/50 balls.  Some people think he is a bust. Some may not think he is a bust but still had a crap year. I think he is a kid that showed a lot of promise and what could be.  I think even though he has a long way to go, that he is far ahead of what the "draft experts" said he would be.  I think Allen had a pretty successful rookie season.  Our offense sucked but Allen was a bright spot on that offense.  How long has it been since anyone could say a Bills QB was a bright spot?

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

Yup!

Josh Allen has the type of errant passes that keep teams from going far in the playoffs, if they ever get to the playoffs.  QB accuracy problems seldom, if ever, get corrected.

:mellow:

Hahaha. You’re like George Costanza and your position on Josh Allen is like George’s house in the Hamptons.

Say hi to Prickly Pete!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Mahomes is not a precision passer. He is however excellent at reading the field and escaping pressure. I think Allen could get to his level, obviously he has a long way to go.

This.  But I think he's very close.  He doesn't have the luxury of having a Hunt, Kelce, or Hill.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Mahomes is not a precision passer. He is however excellent at reading the field and escaping pressure. I think Allen could get to his level, obviously he has a long way to go.

I love Mahomes game.  I just think we overplay it when Allen has a bad overthrow.  Every QB has those.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

Allow me to ask, what talent did Tyrod have that Allen does not?  Benjamin was the team's best WR both years.  He did nothing for Tyrod either.  

Can you name those better OL's, RBs, WRs, and TEs please?  I'm not seeing it.  

Couldn't you also by the same stroke then, and not assuming that what you said is true, that Allen has a better defense to help him out as well?  I mean weren't we ranked 1st most of the season until last week, and then what, Ravens #1 us #2?  

You think that a rookie undrafted RB in Baltimore is better?  OK, not sure I agree.  And frankly, who'se fault is all that even if it's true?  And assuming it is, then why is McD/McBeane getting as much credit as they are for as you imply, leaving the offense talent-less?  

Big picture

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's exactly where I'm at. The ridiculous plays he's able to make combined with a league that caters to QB's have given me the slightest bit of hope. I use the Trubisky model quite a bit because I personally hated him as a prospect and am frankly a little surprised that he's been able to have some success. I still don't think he's particularly good, but he's effective enough. We all WANT Allen to succeed, but as you've clearly demonstrated, he'd be defying some serious statistical odds.

He's choosing to ignore 2017 and focusing on 2015.

Not ignoring anything.  Again last year the Bills' OL was infinitely better than this year's, and so was the running game.  And again, Tyrod was in his 7th season with over 30 starts whereas Josh is in his first season and had 10 starts under his belt.  What I was referring to was 2015 where he had a good group of offensive talent and couldn't do much with it, and the same goes for his brief stint in Cleveland.

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I’m teaching an ant calculus. It’s easier. 

Considering the quality of your posts, I'm surprised you can spell calculus, much less pass a course in it, much much less teach it to anyone or anything. 

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Statistical numbers are presented. But somehow the spin always has to be positive. 

The supporting cast is poor. But we did make the same excuses about Trent Edwards. None of these Drought ex-QBs did anything when they went to other teams outside of Fitzpatrick’s brief flurries. 

The more excuses you have to make about a quarterback, the more it’s proof that he is not the guy.

You mean like Tyrod?  Or how about Rosen?

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

If the Buffalo Bills get to play the Miami Dolphins at home for 18 games next year we can expect to see decent progress with JA. Otherwise,...

:thumbdown:

You are certainly a donkey's donkey. Welcome to the ignore club.

Strange but thought he was more inaccurate today than most days and the stats show otherwise. He’s never going to be Brees but I’m hoping with a full offseason and a year older he gets better with pre-snap recognition, hitting the checks and another year of improved footwork.

Can we see a Trubisky level of improvement in Year 2?