Buffalo News: PFF Breaks Down Josh Allen's Accuracy "Issue"

Thurman#1

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I try to be optimistic and use all the commonly known Josh Allen accuracy excuses (rookie, terrible wrs, terible O Line, dropped balls etc) but the reality is going back to high school at every level J Allen has had accuracy issues.

This is the most sensible and accurate sentence in this whole thread.  Worse, defense minded Sean McDermott is Josh Allen's head coach.

:mellow:

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I try to be optimistic and use all the commonly known Josh Allen accuracy excuses (rookie, terrible wrs, terible O Line, dropped balls etc) but the reality is going back to high school at every level J Allen has had accuracy issues. 

So it comes down to one thing, can he learn.be coaches up.  Can you improve on accuracy, some "experts" say you can with better footwork/mechanics, others insist you can only improve very slightly.  We will see what will happen with J Allen.

Yeah. The PFF article pretty well sums up what I’ve seen from Allen. He’s very athletic and has a cannon, but he’s not accurate with any consistency.  He’ll wow you with some great throws, but the percentages aren’t there. Hopefully they will be, but the odds aren’t great.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think what fans see are the number of wow plays he makes. These types of plays show that Allen has talent and huge potential. I don't think anyone thinks he is a finished product or that he doesn't need to improve. He is obviously not playing well enough to consistently win. But those big wow moments are what keep fans hoping and happy for the future.

9 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Good article thank you for the link.

I will reserve judgement until next postseason. I wanna see how he fares with a little experience, a full off season with all reps taken with the 1s,  and a competent NFL caliber supporting cast around him (i.e. improved o-line, actual NFL wide receivers, etc.)

This is where my thinkng is.  I'm optimistic that he's going to develop, but it's obvious he's not where he needs to be yet.  A better supporting cast will help greatly.

For me it’s Allen’s eagerness to Ad-lib & scramble instead of sometimes taking the easy dump off pass that Brady has so effectively done since 2001. I’m wondering if PFF has an accuracy chart on all throws where Allen stays in the pocket and on throws when he is forced or chooses to leave the pocket. To me much of his value is outside the pocket throwing on the run or after he resets his feet on the perimeter. If he takes some easy gimmes his accuracy will only go up. 

I can appreciate the analysis and would not call Allen Drew Brees level accurate or anything, but I really don’t see JA as being “inaccurate” when I watch him play. 

Im curious as to what constitutes a “dropped” pass. Also wonder if the fact that if a few of Allen’s passes per game should have been caught (yet not considered a drop) by better receivers but are not by Bills receivers make a big impact on this metric. If Allen throws 20 passes a game and that happens twice, that’s 10% point difference in any completion metric. 

Finally, the fact that Allen, on average, throws generally deeper passes can have an impact. 

I guess I just don’t see it. Time will tell and I’ll admit when if I do finally see what the stats are saying but at this point, I think Josh Allen’s play actually exposes some of the fault in relying too much on metrics and statistics. 

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 1

I am ok with what he has done.  His athleticism stands out amongst NFL talent which is not a small thing.  His accuracy looks good when the ball is out on time and thrown in rhythm.  He can extend plays better than most but the accuracy seems to suffer the more off script the play becomes but the coverage can breakdown and big plays come too.  He is far more than a "parody of an NFL prospect" as someone said.  Some of his turnovers are really bad but often follow his having done something extraordinary like dragging Melvin Ingram for 15 ft.  You can't expect him to know what he can or can't get away with until he tries and fails.   It's all about how much he can grow his game but that is true of any rookie QB.  

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Since coming to Buffalo, he went from “needs to sit” a year very quickly into “we got to have him on the field”.  

let's be honest. we had to get him on the field because the only other QB we had was Nasty Nate.

CLeArly tHe ReaL ISsUe iS pFF dOeSn't UNdeRsTAnd tHe DiFfeRenCe bEtWEen ACcuRacY anD PRecIsIoN.

In all seriousness, I think Allen is getting better at both minimizing his dart board misses and hitting closer to the bulls eye on a more consistent basis. It's his decision making and general awareness of what's happening on the field that has continued to plague him (and the team). 

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is my take as well. 

Let's face it those of us Bills fans who've been around the block and paying attention to the parade of QB's over the last 20 years have earned a PhD in Advanced Crappy QB play.  Allen looks different to us and it's not just wishful thinking on our part. 

IMHO, it is. It is indeed wishful thinking ... at this point.

We've had a number of guys look momentarily promising.

Let's hope Allen is different. There's a pretty decent chance, I think. But it's too early to know. He has to do an awful lot of developing, and plenty of people who look like they can manage it never do.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dubs said:

I can appreciate the analysis and would not call Allen Drew Brees level accurate or anything, but I really don’t see JA as being “inaccurate” when I watch him play. 

Im curious as to what constitutes a “dropped” pass. Also wonder if the fact that if a few of Allen’s passes per game should have been caught (yet not considered a drop) by better receivers but are not by Bills receivers make a big impact on this metric. If Allen throws 20 passes a game and that happens twice, that’s 10% point difference in any completion metric. 

Finally, the fact that Allen, on average, throws generally deeper passes can have an impact. 

I guess I just don’t see it. Time will tell and I’ll admit when if I do finally see what the stats are saying but at this point, I think Josh Allen’s play actually exposes some of the fault in relying too much on metrics and statistics. 

I see him being inaccurate, I'm afraid. Fairly consistently. A lot of good throws and then some bad ones.

And yeah, throwing deeper passes can make an impact, but in PFF's breakdown they adjusted for depth and found he was consistently inaccurate at all levels.

But maybe it'll be corrected. He got more accurate during the process leading up to the draft as he worked with Palmer and cleaned up his mechanics. Then as often happens when you're playing and not sitting, his mechanics seemed to me to come unwound again. I think his footwork has degraded, and that it wouldn't have happened if he'd sat this year as Mahomes did. Hopefully he can clean it up again and this time get it set into muscle memory before the season starts. I'm cheering for him to do so.

9 hours ago, MJS said:

I think what fans see are the number of wow plays he makes. These types of plays show that Allen has talent and huge potential. I don't think anyone thinks he is a finished product or that he doesn't need to improve. He is obviously not playing well enough to consistently win. But those big wow moments are what keep fans hoping and happy for the future.

Yeah, nicely put.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, teef said:

They sure do. I can’t blame anyone for a lack of patience at this point.  The trick is with qbs we have to be extra patient. I certainly don’t expect josh to be a highly polish product next year, but there needs to be visual/measurable improvements. 

This this this this this!!!! Exactly.

But don't be racist, Teef. These remarks about Poles are not acceptable in polite company.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

let's be honest. we had to get him on the field because the only other QB we had was Nasty Nate.

Yep. It was clear to me the moment Josh Allen was drafted that he wasn't going to sit long because the two alternatives on the roster sucked.

12 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

talent around Trubisky got a lot better  Go look at what he is asked to do  Its all quick  barely above the los passing  with one or two deep looks per game

Yea they definetly upgraded his weapons basically getting him all new Wrs and TEs. Like i said im not very impressed with Trubisky but he has gotten better and his team has defintely gotten better around him. 

The Bills seem to be on the same trajectory as the Bears in 2017 as far as the teams go. The difference is obviously the Mack trade made the difference as the Bears easily went from a team that was likely to win 9, 10 gms to a team that can win 12. With that being said once we add some weapons this offseason i expect the Bills to win 10 gms and challenge for a playoffs spot in 2019. If not McBeane needs to be released of there positions.

Edited by BillsFan1988

1 minute ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Yea they definetly upgraded his weapons basically getting him all new Wrs and TEs. Like i said im not very impressed with Trubisky but he gotten better and his team has defintely gotten better around him. 

The Bills seem to be on the same trajectory as the Bears in 2017 as far as the teams go. The difference is obviously the Mack trade made the difference as the Bears easilly went from a team that was likely to win 9gms to a team that can win 12. With that being said once we add some weapons this offseason i expect the Bills to win 10 gms and challenge for a playoffs spot in 2019. If not McBeane needs to be released of there positions.

The Bears already had a pretty decent Oline that they had spent some time building and two talented and complimentary young running backs. They added two difference makers on defense in the 1st round and via trade and then signed a bucket load of good not great offensive weapons in FA. Essentially they had less surgery to do that the Bill do. We need that elite pass rusher, we also need those offensive weapons, we need our difference making MLB to get a lot better, we need young talent at the running back position and we need to do the offensive line transformation. We need to accomplish in one offseason what took the Bears 3! It's a big ask. I think the Bills can get back to 8-8, 9-7 territory next year. Playing the AFCN and NFCE at what feels like a decent time might help (though who knows what that looks like by next September). I doubt we are in double figure win territory in 2019. That feels more like a 2020 objective.

I read the article, and it's intriguing.  Pff, as so many do, confuses accuracy with precision.  Allen is accurate in that he gives players a chance to make the catch.  He can be more precise; that is where you put a ball on a specific spot.  The best Qbs have both high accuracy and high precision.  Also, the work on his completion percentage with guys that are covered seems odd.  To me that speaks more to the ability of a receiver to get separation and/or fight for a ball, not so much the QB's accuracy.  I would love to sit down with the folks who analyze every play and compare notes on what they consider inaccurate, how they know that a receiver ran a correct route, etc.  Lot of variables to consider on every pass; do the analysts take all into account?

Allen IMHO needs to work on a couple things.  One is recognition, knowing when to take the short throw for 5-10 yards vs. going downfield.  That should come with experience (although as an aside, I find it amusing how many here complain about a guy not throwing checkdowns after reading for years how many of the same folks criticized guys like Edwards et al for checking down too much).  Two, Allen needs to work on consistency.  When he sets up and throws from a clean pocket he is much more accurate and precise, but still misses some throws he should make.  With improved O line play, continued work in the off season on mechanics, and such, (not to mention better WRs) he should also improve there.  Regarding WR, it cannot be overstated that his WRs have not helped Allen's stats.  I was thinking about one of the most famous plays in Super Bowl history yesterday, the pass from Bradshaw to Swann against the Cowboys where Swann goes way up and makes the circus catch (a throw that was, by the way, accurate but not very precise).   Sometimes WRs have to make catches like that; I haven't seen that in our WRs as of yet, but I have seen them drop a ton of easily catchable balls. 

Very few NFL QBs are finished products as rookies.  The last one I can remember as being that was Marino.  Allen should improve as things go forward.  People around here need to give him time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bears already had a pretty decent Oline that they had spent some time building and two talented and complimentary young running backs. They added two difference makers on defense in the 1st round and via trade and then signed a bucket load of good not great offensive weapons in FA. Essentially they had less surgery to do that the Bill do. We need that elite pass rusher, we also need those offensive weapons, we need our difference making MLB to get a lot better, we need young talent at the running back position and we need to do the offensive line transformation. We need to accomplish in one offseason what took the Bears 3! It's a big ask. I think the Bills can get back to 8-8, 9-7 territory next year. Playing the AFCN and NFCE at what feels like a decent time might help (though who knows what that looks like by next September). I doubt we are in double figure win territory in 2019. That feels more like a 2020 objective.

Were not far off as u think i believe the Bears were a 6-10 team last yr. Yes they had massive turnover this offseason . Which i fully expect the Bills to do. 

Now there not completely the same situations but they are very similar. Lets not nitpick where the holes were on both teams. Im basically pointing out that they had a top teir D as well as we do. Also had raw but super talented rookie QBs with basically no weapons at the skill positions.