Edited title: Winds of Change for AFC East

BubbaT

5 minutes ago, teef said:

you keep bringing this up, but pat kirwan was speaking of this and called it fools gold.  every few years fans just want the hottest trends, but a the end of the day, it's nonsense.  if fan driven hysteria, and that young qbs have gotten better with both offensive and defensive head coaches.  

I only base my “hysteria” on results.  It’s a results based business after all ?.

I have personally seen 2 High Drafted Rookie QBs being driven to their early graves by Defensive Minded coaches only to be saved in their 2nd seasons by 1st Year Offensive Minded Head Coaches.

i have also seen very recently, 2 other QBs be driven to consideration of league MVP in their 2nd seasons by their own Offensive Minded Head Coaches.  (Wentz and Mahomes).

And shoot...since I’m feeling good.  Toss in Shanahan and Garrapalo into this mix as well.

so Pat Kirwan can call it fools gold all he likes...but the results paint a very different picture.

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jets are in a good position here to win a lot of games next year if they hire the right guy. 

Im with you. I don't have much confidence in McBeane to get this thing corrected in this all or nothing offseason. 

Especially after that ***** show in NE.

I'm de-coupling them.  McBeane, for me, is no longer.  Unfortunately, the reality will be different.

1 minute ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I only base my “hysteria” on results.  It’s a results based business after all ?.

I have personally seen 2 High Drafted Rookie QBs being driven to their early graves by Defensive Minded coaches only to be saved in their 2nd seasons by 1st Year Offensive Minded Head Coaches.

i have also seen very recently, 2 other QBs be driven to consideration of league MVP in their 2nd seasons by their own Offensive Minded Head Coaches.  (Wentz and Mahomes).

And shoot...since I’m feeling good.  Toss in Shanahan and Garrapalo into this mix as well.

so Pat Kirwan can call it fools gold all he likes...but the results paint a very different picture.

it's funny you say that, because he mentioned that fans will give you one or two examples of how this is the right thing to do, and that's about all the evidence you can find.  i'm not picking on you or anything...it was just discussed.  people love to use examples such as the rams, but in reality, the qbs are good and grew.  good coaches, whether offensive or defensive, will do the right things for a qb to be put into a position to win.   you use examples of how rookies were being "driven to early graves".  maybe they were just playing like rookies, and actually improved in year two.  in a year or two, they'll be another shift and everyone will be screaming for a defensive coach.  

i'm not saying this in defense of the bills staff, but if the qb is well managed,  takes their job with a workman like attitude, and has the ability, they'll be fine, no matter what the overall philosophy of the coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

it's funny you say that, because he mentioned that fans will give you one or two examples of how this is the right thing to do, and that's about all the evidence you can find.  i'm not picking on you or anything...it was just discussed.  people love to use examples such as the rams, but in reality, the qbs are good and grew.  good coaches, whether offensive or defensive, will do the right things for a qb to be put into a position to win.   you use examples of how rookies were being "driven to early graves".  maybe they were just playing like rookies, and actually improved in year two.  in a year or two, they'll be another shift and everyone will be screaming for a defensive coach.  

i'm not saying this in defense of the bills staff, but if the qb is well managed,  takes their job with a workman like attitude, and has the ability, they'll be fine, no matter what the overall philosophy of the coach.

Maybe the issue here is more with Pat and him feeling like an antiquated relic of the past who didn’t see this trend coming.

i mean Pat Kirwans advice to the Rams was, quote, “He needs someone that has the vision of building this thing that he’s done it before successfully,” Kirwan said. “He can go out and hire some kid, for all I know, but my instincts tell me this is a job for someone with credentials, someone that’s been there and done that.”

good thing Rams went 180 the opposite direction of Pat Kirwans advice.

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Maybe the issue here is more with Pat and him feeling like an antiquated relic of the past who didn’t see this trend coming.

i mean Pat Kirwans advice to the Rams was, quote, “He needs someone that has the vision of building this thing that he’s done it before successfully,” Kirwan said. “He can go out and hire some kid, for all I know, but my instincts tell me this is a job for someone with credentials, someone that’s been there and done that.”

good thing Rams went 180 the opposite direction of Pat Kirwans advice.

ah...he wasn't giving advice.  he was just calling out a common fan reaction.  fans see it work for one or two teams, feel it's the new, only way trend, and start screaming to copy cat.  over a few years that trend is dead, and fans move onto the next one.  you can dislike pat, but he is right on this one.  you're not really relying on a large body of evidence at all.  you're taking an example or two and stamping it as the new golden rule.  i'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not an absolute fix the way you seem to think it is.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

ah...he wasn't giving advice.  he was just calling out a common fan reaction.  fans see it work for one or two teams, feel it's the new, only way trend, and start screaming to copy cat.  over a few years that trend is dead, and fans move onto the next one.  you can dislike pat, but he is right on this one.  you're not really relying on a large body of evidence at all.  you're taking an example or two and stamping it as the new golden rule.  i'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not an absolute fix the way you seem to think it is.

Well it is a copy cat league afterall.  

Isnt that what the NFL is all about?  Finding the hot new trend and exploiting it against the teams that haven’t caught on?

Was not the Best Era Of Bills Football founded on a Trend?  

And if you get a few divisional titles, maybe a league MVP and perhaps a few Super Bowl appearances out of the hot trend...

Trust me...you don’t hear Rams or Bears fans crying today.  And I’m sure the Eagles aren’t giving back the Super Bowl trophy.

as for only having a few examples...yes there are only 4-5 examples...but so far...again I like what I’ve seen with the results.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

See the Rams and Bears.

The learn a "whole new playbook" is completely overrated. 

Thats the funny part to this new “offensive rage” everyone seems to have. 

Bears and Rams are not legit offenses. The Bears at any given time can look like total trash on offense and Trubisky had a couple A+ games but is mostly an average to below average quarterback. 

Goff has had some success with his coach in his ear, but they have come up short in some big games, Gurley is the one carrying the offense usually and none of these offensive minded geniuses who apparently run the league now have won anything. A mediocre if not college level offense like say Baltimore can easily come in and shut down some of these top offenses if their defense is playing good. 

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I see it complete opposite.  That teams with Rookie QBs like Cleveland, Arizona and New York Jets might all be dumping their Defensive Minded Head Coaches to bring in Offensive Minded Head Coaches places them on the current Hot Trend in the NFL and would put them ahead of the teams that do not.

you shouldn’t have anything to worry by getting your Rookie QB a better coach in their 2nd season even if that means learning a new play book.  If it is a better playbook then they will be better for it.

In certain areas I agree. Hue wasn’t helping Mayfield and Wilks certainly wasn’t helping Rosen. But Darnold really seemed to be coming along with whoever runs the jets offense. Given the Jets history of coaches and misses I would still be scared to be a fan of them and see what they may hire to coach Darnold 

Too early to declare NE dead.

None of the other teams in the division, Bills included, have proven that they are ready to assume the mantle of AFC East leader.

The end for NE is coming however, and coming soon.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Too early to declare NE dead.

None of the other teams in the division, Bills included, have proven that they are ready to assume the mantle of AFC East leader.

The end for NE is coming however, and coming soon.

just because the best team falls apart doesn't mean SHEER EXCELLENCE pops up suddenly with the other teams

i can see a horrible division for a few years after Brady leaves, 6-10 could win it for 5 years

won't that be something to cheer your little hearts out over

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Darnold & Allen will improve and have more weapons at their disposal. Tannehill is awful and I see Miami being cellar dwellers for awhile. This season will be Brady's last as AFCE champions. It will be the Bills and Jets battling it out for the next 10 years.

In the NFL nothing lasts 10 years. It’s just that the Pats have ruined reality for the rest of the AFC East over the last decade. 

10 hours ago, Buddo said:

I think you're missing the point - it wasn't about where someone might prefer to go, it was about the fact that although the Jests will have a greater amount of cap space available, they also have an awful lot more roster places to fill with it. Iirc, the Bills will have 39 guys under contract for 2019, whereas the Jests only have something like 30. Chances are they will have less to spend if they have to re-sign a greater number of their own guys than the Bills do.

I'm not sure there's anyone we actually need to re-sign.

Thanks for making this point.  Without knowing how that breaks down it may tie the Jets' hands a little bit in certain bidding situations.  

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

just because the best team falls apart doesn't mean SHEER EXCELLENCE pops up suddenly with the other teams

i can see a horrible division for a few years after Brady leaves, 6-10 could win it for 5 years

won't that be something to cheer your little hearts out over

Who's talking sheer excellence?  I thought we were talking division leader once NE loses Tom Brady and maybe BB too.

I agree it could be  soft division for years to come; like I said, no one looks ready to be a NO. 1 right now.

Well, other than NE.

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Jets are in a good position here to win a lot of games next year if they hire the right guy. 

Im with you. I don't have much confidence in McBeane to get this thing corrected in this all or nothing offseason. 

All or nothing off season? What are you smoking?

These fellers did a complete teardown. You doggone millennials and your french fry vending maching culture of "I gotta have it and I gotta have it now." Waaah!

Next year is technically year one for Beane all things considered. If they're not producing by year 3 (2021), it's time to start considering a change. Until then, relax and enjoy the ride.