Edited title: Winds of Change for AFC East

BubbaT

For the 1st time in a long time, I feel like the AFC East is headed for significant change.  Gone, I think, are the days of the Patriots being odds on favorites (and rightfully so) every year. Will it happen next year? I don't know if that soon (it may depend on Belichick and Brady and how long they are willing to stick it out and whether the teams below make significant gains this offseason)  but for the first time in forever I feel like the Jets and Bills both have legitimate NFL quarterbacks. 

The Jets jumped ahead of the Bills last year to the 3 spot to take Darnold. This preemptive strike, in my opinion, has put them ahead in the chase. He already has a big time wideout in Anderson and tight end in Herndon. After seeing some of his throws here at the end of the last game, I for one was impressed. Tremendously accurate, great throw after a scramble. for a td, and a commanding presence. Is he perfect? No. He has INT's and might fumble a little  but I think he will be very good. I think there are legitimate reasons he was the 2nd QB after Mayfield.  The Jets again will likely pick ahead of the Bills. They may well take the top O lineman if available. They have more salary cap space then the Bills do in 2019 and will be chasing offensive linemen and receivers just like Buffalo. Is NY a better place to play than Buffalo? I don't know. A lot may well depend on who the new Jets coach (and perhaps GM are). I doubt with Darnold in place the Jets will have to settle in the coaching department. It will be a job a good coach might want.

The Bills have a better D and can stop the pass. To me that is critical in this age of football. Can they fill in enough holes on what I view as a borderline expansion level of talent on the offensive side of the ball to be able to throw the ball with consistency and score through the air? To me NFL football is about passing and stopping the pass. The best teams can throw it and get consistent chunk yards and score with it. Not just occasional big plays but consistent movement. Having a really good O line helps immeasurably. Having a good running game to keep teams off balance helps a lot. The Bills have neither.

This off season (after getting their QB) to me is the most important in a long long time. The AFC East power vacuum is ending. It is right there for them to jump legitimately in the hunt.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BubbaT said:

For the 1st time in a long time, I feel like the AFC East is headed for significant change.  Gone, I think, are the days of the Patriots being odds on favorites (and rightfully so) every year. Will it happen next year? I don't know if that soon (it may depend on Belichick and Brady and how long they are willing to stick it out and whether the teams below make significant gains this offseason)  but for the first time in forever I feel like the Jets and Bills both have legitimate NFL quarterbacks. 

The Jets jumped ahead of the Bills last year to the 3 spot to take Darnold. This preemptive strike, in my opinion, has put them ahead in the chase. He already has a big time wideout in Anderson and tight end in Herndon. After seeing some of his throws here at the end of the last game, I for one was impressed. Tremendously accurate, great throw after a scramble. for a td, and a commanding presence. Is he perfect? No. He has INT's and might fumble a little  but I think he will be very good. I think there are legitimate reasons he was the 2nd QB after Mayfield.  The Jets again will likely pick ahead of the Bills. They may well take the top O lineman if available. They have more salary cap space then the Bills do in 2019 and will be chasing offensive linemen and receivers just like Buffalo. Is NY a better place to play than Buffalo? I don't know. A lot may well depend on who the new Jets coach (and perhaps GM are). I doubt with Darnold in place the Jets will have to settle in the coaching department. It will be a job a good coach might want.

The Bills have a better D and can stop the pass. To me that is critical in this age of football. Can they fill in enough holes on what I view as a borderline expansion level of talent on the offensive side of the ball to be able to throw the ball with consistency and score through the air? To me NFL football is about passing and stopping the pass. The best teams can throw it and get consistent chunk yards and score with it. Not just occasional big plays but consistent movement. Having a really good O line helps immeasurably. Having a good running game to keep teams off balance helps a lot. The Bills have neither.

This off season (after getting their QB) to me is the most important in a long long time. The AFC East power vacuum is ending. It is right there for them to jump legitimately in the hunt.

THE WINDS OF CHANGE!

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away (dream away)
In the wind of change

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

The biggest difference between us and the Jets right now is stability. Sure, we don't know if McD and Beane are the long term GM/HC answers that will guide us to the promised land. But they are in no danger of being fired this coming offseason, which is a big plus when you consider that this offseason will be absolutely critical for the foreseeable future for both teams. 

Both of us have promising young quarterbacks, a nucleus of some very good young players, and a metric ***** load of resources to spend next year. Difference is, we have a regime returning with year 3 of their master plan, while the Jets will likely send Bowles packing, and may fire the GM as well. Once the new regime takes over, it will start over the whole process of identifying inherited players you want to keep and the ones you dont, eliminating the guys you want gone, and re building the team in their image. The same process we have a two year head start on. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Buddo said:

As regards the Jests having more cap space than us, well they certainly do. Thing is, they have a lot less guys already under contract for next year, so we may well be in a better position than them.

Lets see... I'm a single milliionaire rock star professional athlete in my mid 20's.   I am choosing between NYC and WNY.   All else being equal, I'm going to NYC.  

My guess is the Bills can get their O Line fixed in free agency to some degree as those guys are family types who may not care about the big city.  Skill positions?    Probably coming in the draft as draftees are stuck with the team that drafted them. 

If I’m a jets fan I’m kinda worried. Rookie quarterback who has shown some flashes of greatness along with flashes of being a turnover machine heading into year 2 having to learn a whole new playbook. That sucks. 

Jets are in decent shape like us as far as building blocks though. Definitely an important offseason for the east

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Lets see... I'm a single milliionaire rock star professional athlete in my mid 20's.   I am choosing between NYC and WNY.   All else being equal, I'm going to NYC.  

My guess is the Bills can get their O Line fixed in free agency to some degree as those guys are family types who may not care about the big city.  Skill positions?    Probably coming in the draft as draftees are stuck with the team that drafted them. 

I think you're missing the point - it wasn't about where someone might prefer to go, it was about the fact that although the Jests will have a greater amount of cap space available, they also have an awful lot more roster places to fill with it. Iirc, the Bills will have 39 guys under contract for 2019, whereas the Jests only have something like 30. Chances are they will have less to spend if they have to re-sign a greater number of their own guys than the Bills do.

I'm not sure there's anyone we actually need to re-sign.

I agree with the OP that the Jets got the jump on the Bills by trading up, and then landing Darnold.   I do think that that will be a thorn in our side for years to come, but I like our guy as well but the Bills will have to be smart to beat the Jets with defense and a better running game.  JA can push the ball down the field.  

Brady and Belichik will not go quietly, but there should be some decent competition in coming years. 

I agree with the OP.  Patriots have 4 starting Offensive skills players that are 30+ (Brady, Edelman, Hogan, Gronkowski).  Actually Gronkowski is 29 but needs a walker.

As long as Belichek holds onto that core as starters, IMO they will slow down/injured even more and get passed very soon by both the Bills and the Jets.

Let's hope Belichek stands pat with that crew during the offseason.  If he does, next year could be 3 teams at 9-7 with the Jets & Bills fighting it out thereafter for quite awhile.

11 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

THE WINDS OF CHANGE!

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away (dream away)
In the wind of change

Horrible, horrible song.  I never understood Scorpions love; especially that craptastic ballad.

• Like (+1) 1

I would welcome the Bills and Jets and Fish to start trying to build a legit contender after twenty years of this garbage

yeah the Pats are a dynasty but that wasn’t excuse enough for the Useless Three to go to fetal position and cry for two decades

———————-

Winds of Change was one of the worst albums in rock history, Eric Burdon”s last fumes with The Animals, give it a spin on YouTube.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Edited title: Winds of Change for AFC East
3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

If I’m a jets fan I’m kinda worried. Rookie quarterback who has shown some flashes of greatness along with flashes of being a turnover machine heading into year 2 having to learn a whole new playbook. That sucks. 

Jets are in decent shape like us as far as building blocks though. Definitely an important offseason for the east

I see it complete opposite.  That teams with Rookie QBs like Cleveland, Arizona and New York Jets might all be dumping their Defensive Minded Head Coaches to bring in Offensive Minded Head Coaches places them on the current Hot Trend in the NFL and would put them ahead of the teams that do not.

you shouldn’t have anything to worry by getting your Rookie QB a better coach in their 2nd season even if that means learning a new play book.  If it is a better playbook then they will be better for it.

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I see it complete opposite.  That teams with Rookie QBs like Cleveland, Arizona and New York Jets might all be dumping their Defensive Minded Head Coaches to bring in Offensive Minded Head Coaches places them on the current Hot Trend in the NFL and would put them ahead of the teams that do not.

you shouldn’t have anything to worry by getting your Rookie QB a better coach in their 2nd season even if that means learning a new play book.  If it is a better playbook then they will be better for it.

you keep bringing this up, but pat kirwan was speaking of this and called it fools gold.  every few years fans just want the hottest trends, but a the end of the day, it's nonsense.  if fan driven hysteria, and that young qbs have gotten better with both offensive and defensive head coaches.  

• Like (+1) 1