Looks like Shady will be a Bill in 2019

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- There is a growing sentiment within the Buffalo Bills fanbase that running back LeSean McCoy’s best days are behind him.

After another disappointing performance last week against New England, McCoy’s season rushing average dipped to 3.2 yards-per-carry. That number ranks 49th in the NFL. Just Detroit’s bruising back LeGarrette Blount, who’s used primarily near the goal line, has a lower average per rush.

Many fans are hoping the Bills move on from McCoy in the offseason ahead of his 31st birthday, but Bills coach Sean McDermott seems keen on keeping the six-time Pro Bowler.

“Overall I’m really excited about where we’re going and LeSean being a part of that,” McDermott said Wednesday before the team’s first practice ahead of the season finale against the Miami Dolphins. "I know this year, to your point, wasn’t what he had hoped it would be. The biggest thing I want to see is what we’re going to do to get it back to where it needs to be. I think he’s committed to that cause, as are we."

https://www.newyorkupstate.com//buffalo-bills/2018/12/not-so-fast-bills-fans-sean-mcdermott-says-lesean-mccoy-not-going-anywhere.html

• Like (+1) 2

We will draft a RB.

Option 1: McCoy will be forced to play in Preseason more. They will then move on from him. 

Option 2: They improve the line and McCoy runs better in Preseason and he brings us a 3rd and 4th round pick.

Option 3: They improve the line and he runs better. Becomes the on the field coach for the new guy.

Im thinking #2 or #3 are possible but #1 is more probable. I saw a shell of the player he was. Not just slower but doesnt make the cuts he used to.

They need to get younger at the position so draft a RB Day 3...

But, I don’t really see the problem in bringing Shady back next year and see how he looks behind a hopefully much improved line in camp and preseason... if he is still struggling than time to go your seperate ways..

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Coach-speak.  Means nothing.  He's not going to throw him under the bus.  Remember all the kind words for Peterman...

Yes and usually when the coach expresses confidence in an obviously struggling player, it's the kiss if death.  He'll be a Raider before training camp starts.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Coach-speak.  Means nothing.  He's not going to throw him under the bus.  Remember all the kind words for Peterman...

I know what you are saying and agree with you.

Having said that, I fear these guys actually do want to keep him around.  I assume they would have moved him at the deadline if they did not want to retain him for next year.

I think keeping him is a mistake.

30 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

You could be right. He also didn't have to say anything at all.

Yes he did, he was asked about it and frequently asked about it.  Refusing to answer it is almost like saying he is as good as gone.  So the only way to keep it from being a distraction is to say you expect him back.  

One thing to keep in mind is that Allen and McCoy are close and McCoy is his biggest fan.  And I think its pretty reasonable to think McCoy has the ability to play better behind a better OL and a more consistent passing game with better WR's.  

We dont need the cap space, he has 1 year left on his deal.  There is no reason to cut him unless you think you are a better team without him on the roster.  I think the more realistic scenario is that the Bills will draft or sign another RB and McCoy will go from being a bell cow RB to a more committee approach next year.  And with that, I think McCoy certainly has value still as he is still fast and can catch.  

So I think its premature to think he is as good as gone...I dont think his roster spot is going to be in jeopardy until camp and preseason.  If he is struggling and getting out played, then sure he will be a cut candidate.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 6

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes he did, he was asked about it and frequently asked about it.  Refusing to answer it is almost like saying he is as good as gone.  So the only way to keep it from being a distraction is to say you expect him back.  

He could of say we make those decisions during the off-season. Or his favorite go to line "I let the GM handle those type of things."

17 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

He could of say we make those decisions during the off-season. Or his favorite go to line "I let the GM handle those type of things."

And the immediate spin in media and fans would be "He is gone, otherwise he would have just said he was in the plans".  Then it would have led to more questions and wouldnt go away.