Oregon QB Justin Herbert Returning for the 2019 CFB Season

26CornerBlitz

48 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Good move. I don't think he's quite ready yet.

I agree but how often does a top junior qb prospect go back to school and improve his stock? I loved college and would have hated to leave.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t a top prospect because I would have jetted. Too much risk in staying. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Good move. I don't think he's quite ready yet.

He's an academic all-American majoring in Biology with a 4.oo plus GPA. So education is important to him. He also is going to have the opportunity to play with his younger brother next year so that probably also factored into his decision. By staying in another year he will be better prepared to play the position when he does get drafted. 

https://pac-12.com/article/2018/12/02/pac-12-announces-football-all-academic-teams

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree but how often does a top junior qb prospect go back to school and improve his stock? I loved college and would have hated to leave.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t a top prospect because I would have jetted. Too much risk in staying. 

That's true. How much more can he improve?

I do think his play dropped a bit during the second half of the season.

If Jake Fromm & Tua Tagovailoa declare next year, then the 2020 QB class will be exciting.

5 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

That's true. How much more can he improve?

I do think his play dropped a bit during the second half of the season.

If Jake Fromm & Tua Tagovailoa declare next year, then the 2020 QB class will be exciting.

I do think of some of the guys that went back to school (Leinart, Barkley, etc), he has the most upside to improve on.

Justin Herbert Passes on 2019 NFL Draft, and Here's How He Can Improve His Stock Before 2020

Justin Herbert was likely going to be the first quarterback selected in the 2019 NFL Draft, but he was far from a finished product, drifted into "overrated" territory as a prospect, and made the correct decision to return for his senior season at Oregon. That weakens the options for QB-needy teams, but here are the guys worth knowing who could be first-round picks in April.

Asking how Herbert can improve his draft stock -- and, more importantly, his chances of long-term success at the NFL level -- is a logical question to pose at this juncture. Despite the hype surrounding him, Herbert is still raw in two paramount areas of playing the quarterback position. 

If he sharpens his skills in these two areas, Herbert's choice to stay in school for another season will be viewed in a similar vein to that of Andrew Luck, who returned to Stanford in 2011 after a dazzling redshirt sophomore year and despite massive draft buzz, then went No. 1 overall in 2012, instead of other quarterbacks who flopped in their highly anticipated final collegiate campaigns and ultimately sank in the draft. 

It wasn’t a shocking development when Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert announced that he was returning to Oregon for his senior season; there were multiple rumors swirling around that the first round talent was leaning towards just that decision. But now that it’s now official, even though it wasn’t shocking, it’s still kind of shocking.

From here, what direction can Justin Herbert’s draft stock go? It could go up and be solidified as the first overall pick for the 2020 NFL Draft, but let’s be real, it’s probably going to stay the same or go down. Justin Herbert has spent two consecutive seasons dealing with injuries. In 2017, he had a broken collarbone on his non-throwing shoulder and was shut down for the season. That injury was far more concerning than the bruised shoulder he suffered against Oregon State in November of this season.

Needless to say, Herbert staying another season doesn’t make sense from a financial perspective, so maybe it’s a pride thing? Maybe he wants to try and win the Pac-12 and put the Ducks in position for a National Championship? Whatever the reason, it’s not smart from a business perspective because I don’t see his draft stock making any improvements. If anything, it’s going to be going in the opposite direction.

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well technically Luck was a RS sophomore (junior academically) and everybody was calling for him to come out and he returned

Him returning for his RS JR ( senior academically) was definitely the right call

Herbert definitely needs it 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.