They Shall Not Grow Old- is 3D the way to go?

plenzmd1

Hi all, was hoping maybe someone out there saw this on the 17th, and has a recommendation. Should I see it in 3D or just standard tomorrow? I am usually a standard guy, but the uniqueness of this makes me wonder if maybe 3D is the better experience. I cannot find a recommendation as of yet online. @Mark Vader maybe a little help?

https://www.newsweek.com/peter-jackson-ww1-movie-they-shall-not-grow-old-showtimes-us-release-where-1262303

48 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hi all, was hoping maybe someone out there saw this on the 17th, and has a recommendation. Should I see it in 3D or just standard tomorrow? I am usually a standard guy, but the uniqueness of this makes me wonder if maybe 3D is the better experience. I cannot find a recommendation as of yet online. @Mark Vader maybe a little help?

https://www.newsweek.com/peter-jackson-ww1-movie-they-shall-not-grow-old-showtimes-us-release-where-1262303

I haven't seen this yet, and I usually tend to stay away from 3D viewings.

I don't see why this movie would be any different. I would just watch it in it's standard format.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I'm doing very well without 3D.  Anti-gravity would be better

Is 3D related to ED.  The 3 and the E are very close on the keyboard.

It’s the dyslexic version. 

We have a 3D TV in the family room. Used it once or twice, but about all you could get was kids movies back then. Haven’t even thought about it in years. 

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I haven't seen this yet, and I usually tend to stay away from 3D viewings.

I don't see why this movie would be any different. I would just watch it in it's standard format.

I feel the same way; I've been following this project for a while and am anxious to see it, but I wouldn't watch it in 3D.

It is too artificial and a distraction IMO.

5 hours ago, Corp000085 said:

I'm seeing it today in 3D.  I hope it's as good as it looks in the trailer!

I am going to the 4PM showing..will post right before the Sabres game what I thought. 

BTW, I think a tie for the two best Museums i have ever been in

1) The Imperial War Museums

2) The Newseum

5 hours ago, mead107 said:

HOW WAS THE MOVIE.  

i know you have bad hearing. 

Haha! Sorry! 

As opposed to @Corp000085, I thought good, but not great. Part of that I am sure is my hearing is not great and it was tough for me to understand the audio portion sometimes. Having said that, some of the visuals are quite graphic, and as Corp said , grab the audience by the cahones. 

I tend to watch quite a bit of documentary films, and was quite familiar with life in the trenches as shown in other documentaries. But this film does bring that to life in a way I had not experienced or seen before , so that was great. 

At the conclusion of the movie, there was a 30 minute piece discussing how the movie was made and film restored, but I did not watch that so cannot comment if interesting or not. 

Also, I bought a wrong ticket and ended up at 3D. I can readily admit I have a bias against 3D, so that be entering into my judgement. I think I may have enjoyed better in standard, but that is my bias, wonder how Corp felt about the 3D. 

Overall, I recommend the movie if it goes into wider release. My only word of caution is the movie is not a history of WW1, but truly a focus on  how British soldiers experienced the war. 

For a more complete history of the war from the US perspective I recommend American Experience The Great War, from PBS. I am !certain that is on Amazon. 

Edited by plenzmd1

13 hours ago, Corp000085 said:

Movie was phenomenal. I don’t want to give away any spoilers but there were audible gasps at one point in the film. Great flick. 

Spoiler: Brits and co. win.

"They Shall Not Grow Old."  Where's the documentary about your life, @plenzmd1?  "They Long Ago Grew Old?"

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Haha! Sorry! 

As opposed to @Corp000085, I thought good, but not great. Part of that I am sure is my hearing is not great and it was tough for me to understand the audio portion sometimes. Having said that, some of the visuals are quite graphic, and as Corp said , grab the audience by the cahones. 

I tend to watch quite a bit of documentary films, and was quite familiar with life in the trenches as shown in other documentaries. But this film does bring that to life in a way I had not experienced or seen before , so that was great. 

At the conclusion of the movie, there was a 30 minute piece discussing how the movie was made and film restored, but I did not watch that so cannot comment if interesting or not. 

Also, I bought a wrong ticket and ended up at 3D. I can readily admit I have a bias against 3D, so that be entering into my judgement. I think I may have enjoyed better in standard, but that is my bias, wonder how Corp felt about the 3D. 

Overall, I recommend the movie if it goes into wider release. My only word of caution is the movie is not a history of WW1, but truly a focus on  how British soldiers experienced the war. 

For a more complete history of the war from the US perspective I recommend American Experience The Great War, from PBS. I am !certain that is on Amazon. 

good analysis.  In the post movie piece, Peter Jackson does state that this is not an academic film as it just focuses on one aspect of the war.  I do agree with you though, from an academic perspective alone, it was not an outstanding documentary of war, but (again, without any spoilers), it was a phenomenal piece on one aspect of the war.  Since your hearing is not great, you missed a big aspect of the awesomeness that I caught, which was the sound.  With all of that said, this one is winning multiple academy awards this spring. Count on it.  

• Like (+1) 1