Lawsuit: Giants fans say they have the "civil right" to use bad language/gestures against their team

22 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I think Peters referred to him as the N word if I heard it correctly. That's not so great, unless you're being sarcastic. 

People are free to use any word they choose as long as they're willing to deal with the consequences.

2 hours ago, boater said:

Case law limits the right to free speech.

Freedom of Speech in the constitution means you are free from the government in expressing thought. You have the right to express your opinion free of government interference.

OTH, you do not have the right to say in my living room whatever you want, I can throw you out for cussing, I can throw you out for supporting Pee Wee Herman. You do not have the right in my house to flip the bird at will.

Take that one level higher, as a visitor in an NFL stadium, you do not have right to say whatever you want. You do not have the right to cuss, or flip the bird. You have no rights after you purchased that ticket and entered into a contract agreeing to a Code of Conduct.

I was speaking about the officers that arrested them.

Maybe we have our wires crossed?

10 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I thought this was a completely BS lawsuit but these two might actually have a case.  If what they allege is true, it’s not as though they were chanting racial slurs or anything overly offensive.  

Also I’m not sure their behavior warrants the physical reaction from the security they received.  To me it seems as though the security overreacted, but again it’s their perspective so what know what really happened.

In the grand scheme of things yelling “you f’n suck” to a team as they enter the tunnel seems like the least of the problems that could occur on a stadium of 80,000 people

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s fine.  Personally, I feel weird booing another man but that’s me.  I also heard there were some other pretty awful comments being said but I wasn’t there.

Good. I was furious and I ended up taking his football card and burning it in the ashtray at the bar to the delight of the entire room LOL It seem like it was ages ago... hate getting old to where things like that are like 25 years ago! 

On 12/26/2018 at 4:33 PM, Limeaid said:

Not always.  This is an advocacy organization and it has declared "rights" not written in constitution. 

I worked at Naval Research Laboratory and there was a member of "Act Up" working there with condoms expanded on several displays in his office and was told to take them down by representative of company and he  refused. He was told it was not a request and still did not and was suspended.  He asked for ACLU for help and they tried to represent him stating his "free speech" rights were violated and finally court said no.  He then got DC involved and they stated that his act was covered under DC's laws which were more extensive than US's (ACLU did not attempt to us DC laws in court) and he was reinstated. 

After this government agency decided to terminate contract with company which was within their rights and they tried to get to state this was due to this one employee and government agency stated there were concerns about their performance and provided metrics stating they were not meeting them; he was one of the worst performers but not only one and this just gave them reason for early review. Customer lost contract and 90% of the employees were offered employment with new company except "Act Up" member and a few others.  All took a salary cut. 

You can declare all you want about free speech but there are limits and like a certain football player need to accept consequences of your actions if you decrease the value to your employer.

I think you're making my point.  I agree with you that the ACLU has a history of pushing the envelope, if you will, for asserting and/or protecting the rights of individuals against the powerful, including but not limited to the government.

If even an organization with such a history of advocating for individual rights says that the First Amendment protects against the government prohibiting individual speech, but provides no protection to a non-governmental employee whose speech violates a company's rules, that should tell you something.

I don't know where you got "you can declare all you want about free speech."  It sounds like we both believe that the First Amendment doesn't protect the Giants fans in the article from being kicked out of the stadium if their "speech" violated stadium rules about fan conduct.

If the stadium security guys used excessive force to get them to leave the stadium (I don't know if they did or didn't - I suspect those fans did not peacefully agree to leave), that's independently wrong, but it has nothing to do with the First Amendment.

On 12/26/2018 at 5:17 PM, BUFFALOBART said:

So, the lowlife perp was out 25 bucks for a replacement rug....... ?

i read a few years later that he reached a settlement with the stadium for the situation

it was so bizarre i didn't know whether to cheer or laugh or sit there in eye-popping shock

On 12/26/2018 at 7:13 PM, LSHMEAB said:

People are free to use any word they choose as long as they're willing to deal with the consequences.

Canadians have no idea how to sit at a game in Detroit or Philly and they drink to excess and mouth off, very embarrassing...

they don't realize that spending the night in lockup in those downtowns isn't the same as Toronto police letting you go with a warning

On 12/26/2018 at 9:56 AM, PatsFanNH said:

Because every ticket states they can remove you from your seat and the stadium for acts not in accordance with their fan code of conduct (then in fine fine print it tells you exactly what that is)

I don't know why they're nitpicking your post lol. Good take. Read the ticket and abide by it. It's not your livelihood it is LITERALLY a game especially for Joe the ticket holder. 

And don't arrest bad fans because this dumb blowback happens. Kick em out.

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they don't realize that spending the night in lockup in those downtowns isn't the same as Toronto police letting you go with a warning

Getting blackout drunk in the Commonwealth countries is pretty darn fun. Cozy no strings attached drunk tank. They even pay for your medical bills! What a great group of countries.

Expect a PI charge, a beating, and paying $2000 for ER stitches in the States.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P