Where would we be if we still had Cogs and Wood?

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

For all the complainers that want McBeane gone, have you thought about where we would be if we still had our two Pro-Bowl Olineman.  

Maybe Im wrong but I think with those two Allen doesnt get injured in the Texans game.  So at the least he would have won that game I believe and would have gotten more on field experience.

I also believe our run game would have been much better.

Best case senerio we may have actually had a shot at the division title.

The only down side may have been we may not have gotten Anderson and Barkley.  There is no way to tell how much hes learned from them.  Also I believe we have a long term viable backup in Barkley.

They had no way of knowing they would lose those two Oline and to ask them to replace those guys in a single off season is obserd.  Its amazing that there are some that cant put this season in perspective.  

We have had coach after coach that had their players underachieving and now we have one that I believe gets his team to overachieve and people want to get rid of him.  Im very excited about this teams potential goin forward as they seem to actually develope talent and motivate players.  I do believe it would have been easier to see it with Cogs and Wood still on the line.

This is a good argument for . . . not initiating a pay cut for one of these guys and doing a better job of replacing the other (who you knew would not be coming back the first week of the off season).

Cordy was a huge loss also.

Edited by Peter

IMO.The loss of Wood and Cog is probably the most overlooked offseason scenario that happened this year. Clearly the Bills were in "Let's find our QB" mode back in January and April, prior to the draft. They didn't have the time or the resources to replace Incognito. With the Wood situation they at least had Groy as a viable option (or so they thought) and they signed Bodine who was a starter in CIN. But the loss of one of the best guards in the league was devastating. Not just to the team but also to Shady. Ritchie and Shady had a special relationship on the field. Shady had trust and confidence in Cog and Wood. To me shady is not running with confidence and with good reason. Also throw in the fact that chemistry along the o-line has not been established and it is easy to see why we have the worst o-line and rushing attack in the league. Kudos to the OP

Edited by DRA3196
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DRA3196 said:

IMO.The loss of Wood and Cog is probably the most overlooked offseason scenario that happened this year. Clearly the Bills were in "Let's find our QB" mode back in January and April, prior to the draft. They didn't have the time or the resources to replace Incognito. With the Wood situation they at least had Groy as a viable option (or so they thought) and they signed Bodine who was a starter in CIN. But the loss of one of the playing guards in the league was devastating. Not just to the team but also to Shady. Ritchie and Shady had a special relationship on the field. Shady had trust and confidence in Cog and Wood. To me shady is not running with confidence and with good reason. Also throw in the fact that chemistry along the o-line has not been established and it is easy to see why we have the worst o-line and rushing attack in the league. Kudos to the OP

Not true at all. They could have gone after Andrew Norwell instead of paying the money they did for Star and/or Trent Murphy. 

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

For all the complainers that want McBeane gone, have you thought about where we would be if we still had our two Pro-Bowl Olineman.  

Maybe Im wrong but I think with those two Allen doesnt get injured in the Texans game.  So at the least he would have won that game I believe and would have gotten more on field experience.

I also believe our run game would have been much better.

Best case senerio we may have actually had a shot at the division title.

The only down side may have been we may not have gotten Anderson and Barkley.  There is no way to tell how much hes learned from them.  Also I believe we have a long term viable backup in Barkley.

They had no way of knowing they would lose those two Oline and to ask them to replace those guys in a single off season is obserd.  Its amazing that there are some that cant put this season in perspective.  

We have had coach after coach that had their players underachieving and now we have one that I believe gets his team to overachieve and people want to get rid of him.  Im very excited about this teams potential goin forward as they seem to actually develope talent and motivate players.  I do believe it would have been easier to see it with Cogs and Wood still on the line.

Why do people keep saying he would've won that game. It took Peterman to come in to get any movement on offense. Think about how sad that is. Allen didn't look good in that game at all.

21 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

We had no idea he would lose his mind after taking a pay cut. You are operating with the benefit of hindsight.

The issue that has me confused was why was it necessary to require him to take a pay cut? Did his performance decline so precipitously? I don't think so. We weren't cap squeezed to the point that his salary cut had to be made. Was he already exhibiting troubling signs? I don't think so because the organization was willing to keep him with a lower salary. No doubt that he was on the downside of his career but he was still arguably our best blocker on a unit that was already lacking even before the other departures. 

I'm not posing judgments as I am posing questions. The Incognito situation from the way the organization's handled it just doesn't add up. I'm not sure what happened here. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The issue that has me confused was why was it necessary to require him to take a pay cut? Did his performance decline so precipitously? I don't think so. We weren't cap squeezed to the point that his salary cut had to be made. Was he already exhibiting troubling signs? I don't think so because the organization was willing to keep him with a lower salary. No doubt that he was on the downside of his career but he was still arguably our best blocker on a unit that was already lacking even before the other departures. 

I'm not posing judgments as I am posing questions. The Incognito situation from the way the organization's handled it just doesn't add up. I'm not sure what happened here. 

You are correct.

Of course, it will be a matter of debate, but I believe:

1) What McBeane did to Incognito was completely gratuitous.  Why target one of your few all pro players who had played so well and was integral to Dawkins' development?!?

2) Incognito would have acted just as he always had with the Bills within the structure of the team.  He felt that he had been pushed into it.  Pushing him to take a pay cut clearly backfired on the Bills.  

Edited by Peter

1 minute ago, Moonzoo said:

I did not know McBeane deliberately decided not to get Norwell, or that Norwell was guaranteed to come here if they had.  That puts a new light on things. 

Maybe you heard that they "deliberately" thought it was a great idea to try to get one of our few all pro players to take a pay cut.

I did not know McBeane deliberately decided not to get Norwell, or that Norwell was guaranteed to come here if they had.  That puts a new light on things. 

Pure silliness. I posted they could have gone after not they were guaranteed to sign him. Their priority was spending on defense with the same priority in the draft with the premium picks being spent on defense with the exception of Allen. 

I do not know.  Who did, and why?

So Cogs did NOT accept the  pay cut voluntarily?  I was mistaken.  

I think his reaction amply demonstrates what he thought about the Bills insisting that he take a pay cut.

Cogs could have said no.  He said yes.  Then he went outright berserk, and some people think that's 100% on the Bills.  Accordng to their logic teams should never, ever ask a star to take a pay cut because if they accept, then go berserk, it's the team's fault.  New England really took a chance asking Brady to take a cut because *bam* he could have snapped and it would have been the team's fault!  They really rolled the dice! ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He was older, his play was falling off, and he was making a lot in the short term when he wasn’t in our long term plans. Cap space rolls over. 

Cog in 2017 was a much different performer than Cog in 2015. 

8 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Cogs could have said no.  He said yes.  Then he went outright berserk, and some people think that's 100% on the Bills.  Accordng to their logic teams should never, ever ask a star to take a pay cut because if they accept, then go berserk, it's the team's fault.  New England really took a chance asking Brady to take a cut because *bam* he could have snapped and it would have been the team's fault!  They really rolled the dice! ?

Why did McBeane wake up one morning and somehow decide that it was a good idea to ask the one returning pro bowl lineman from that year to take a pay cut?

Edited by Peter