Week 16: Bills vs. Patriots All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

26CornerBlitz

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The All-22 Coaches Film via GamePass is now available for week 16 vs. the Patriots is up.  It'll be interesting to see what happened in the run game to allow the Bills to get gashed so many times and also to take a closer look at how Josh Allen was defensed. 

Thompson and  Edmunds out of position. Star and Kyle getting moved out of position and Jerry not getting containment. It's pretty consistently bad. The Jet sweeps with Patterson were killers. LB's overreacted every time and lost a step. No one on the DL strong and fast enough to get penetration to stop it. 

8 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Thompson and  Edmunds out of position. Star and Kyle getting moved out of position and Jerry not getting containment. It's pretty consistently bad. The Jet sweeps with Patterson were killers. LB's overreacted every time and lost a step. No one on the DL strong and fast enough to get penetration to stop it. 

Jerry might have been beat once, but I’m pretty sure I saw Love’s# and maybe Yarborough?

Thanks 26! 

Said it in another thread, this just further illustrates Milanos value.

I know everyone is tearing into Edmunds, but as I stated in that thread, Zo stood out as the bigger liability.  Can't blame him, he's a team player/sub package man, and should never be starting at one of our LB positions....we need better depth in 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

Thanks 26! 

Said it in another thread, this just further illustrates Milanos value.

I know everyone is tearing into Edmunds, but as I stated in that thread, Zo stood out as the bigger liability.  Can't blame him, he's a team player/sub package man, and should never be starting at one of our LB positions....we need better depth in 2019.

Zo was actually good I thought. It was Thompson and Edmunds who really struggled from my recollection. 

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

I thought we'd be all set at LB this year but moving Tremaine outside and finding a true middle guy who has more of an anchor, sheds blocks better and fills gaps vs. the run

draft?

Granted this is limited game footage, but don't know how anyone can criticize Edmunds on any of these plays.

I recall numerous times that Zo was blown out of the play....im sure Edmunds was at times too...just hopeful we rebound we'll next week and focus on finding quality depth this offseason. Entire front seven was disappointing yesterday

For the record, I'm a big Zo fan...but only as a sub package and special teams player. 

Edmunds has had some very off days, but also some pretty good ones.

I think people are being too hard on the kid, too soon.

Losing Milano hurts, especially when you trust what he's doing.

There's also the 'rookie wall' to consider, that and the fact he's barely into his 20's. Probably hasn't even physically stopped growing yet.

While we will certainly need to invest in another LBer in the off season, our depth being non-existent, I don't think we need to be specifically looking at a MLB.

I also like Edmunds size in the middle, for narrowing down passing lanes, there's some serious height and wingspan therew. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The All-22 Coaches Film via GamePass is now available for week 16 vs. the Patriots is up.  It'll be interesting to see what happened in the run game to allow the Bills to get gashed so many times and also to take a closer look at how Josh Allen was defensed. 

Milano...can't explain all of it, but that was pretty much it. I get the analysis is out already and I'm just stating the obvious, but the real issue is lack of any depth at the LB position. Our entire defense is predicated on both Edmunds and Milano being healthy, but primarily the latter. Until Edmunds develops, losing Milano basically means we have two rookies at LB and no run defense, which is any team's run game wet dream. Especially against our DL which is okay against the run when the LBs are playing. But since Week 1, Milano has been our run defense with his ability to identify and retain gap integrity.

Many of the gashed chunk runs were a result of us not getting any initial disruption. Most of the backs weren't touched until they were in the secondary, forcing our safeties to stop a RB who has already gained momentum. Milano might not make all the tackles on running downs, but his ability to shoot the gap and identify running lanes disrupts an RB's ability to get momentum going and drive downhill, if he doesn't end up making the tackle he almost always disrupts enough for the rest of the line to converge on the ball carrier, or force him into more defenders.

6 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Milano...can't explain all of it, but that was pretty much it. I get the analysis is out already and I'm just stating the obvious, but the real issue is lack of any depth at the LB position. Our entire defense is predicated on both Edmunds and Milano being healthy, but primarily the latter. Until Edmunds develops, losing Milano basically means we have two rookies at LB and no run defense, which is any team's run game wet dream. Especially against our DL which is okay against the run when the LBs are playing. But since Week 1, Milano has been our run defense with his ability to identify and retain gap integrity.

Many of the gashed chunk runs were a result of us not getting any initial disruption. Most of the backs weren't touched until they were in the secondary, forcing our safeties to stop a RB who has already gained momentum. Milano might not make all the tackles on running downs, but his ability to shoot the gap and identify running lanes disrupts an RB's ability to get momentum going and drive downhill, if he doesn't end up making the tackle he almost always disrupts enough for the rest of the line to converge on the ball carrier, or force him into more defenders.

They were also gashed by Patterson on jet sweeps with to the right side of the defense with outside contain being lost. 

Subscription required for full access:

With a Week 16 win over the Bills, the New England Patriots would capture the AFC East. And in a playoff tune-up for them this past Sunday, they did just that, establishing their run game early and often to earn the 24-12 victory.

The Patriots, with a banged-up Tom Brady, relied on a run game that mustered just 76 yards on 25 carries against the Bills in Week 8. Buffalo came in confident in their run defense, which ranked in the top ten this season in Football Outsiders DVOA metric — a massive improvement from their 30th ranking in 2017.

2018-12-24_12-12-04.png

But numbers don’t decide games, and that showed as the Patriots manhandled the Bills from top to bottom.

Let’s jump into the film room to understand how the Patriots rushed for 273 yards and two touchdowns on 47 carries, making it the worst game by the Bills defense on the ground all season.

Injuries

As the season winds down, injuries to linebacker Matt Milano (broken leg) and cornerback Taron Johnson (shoulder labrum surgery), two of the Bills’ steadiest players all season, had a major impact on this game. Milano was the best player on the field in the first Bills-Patriots matchup and is the most disruptive player on the Bills’ defense. He leads all Bills defenders in stops (37), solo tackles (25) and he is ninth in run stop percentage, per Pro Football Focus. Undrafted rookie linebacker Corey Thompson, whom the Bills promoted from their practice squad in late November, earned more playing time last week in Milano’s absence — and the difference showed.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

20 hours ago, Buddo said:

Edmunds has had some very off days, but also some pretty good ones.

I think people are being too hard on the kid, too soon.

Losing Milano hurts, especially when you trust what he's doing.

There's also the 'rookie wall' to consider, that and the fact he's barely into his 20's. Probably hasn't even physically stopped growing yet.

While we will certainly need to invest in another LBer in the off season, our depth being non-existent, I don't think we need to be specifically looking at a MLB.

I also like Edmunds size in the middle, for narrowing down passing lanes, there's some serious height and wingspan therew. ;)

Its a different game.  What Edmunds does with his size and in disrupting passing lanes is more important than what he lacks in other traditional MLB skills.  I think he will develop as a MLB, but I think he has already made a huge difference.  Those weakness were covered up with Milano in the line up, but I don't think for a second we need to be drafting a MLB.