I don't believe in the 3 year plan happening in '19

PUNT750

1 hour ago, PUNT750 said:

I really can’t believe the 3 year re-build plan for the Bills will have much success in 2019.  Regardless of 10 draft picks and $90 mil in cap space it doesn’t make sense.

Realistically we need new, quality;   O Lineman (3), WR (3), RB (2), LB (1), TE (1), DB (1), DL (1) 

That’s 12 total to be competitive!!

We’re going to have to over-pay for quality, top tier free-agents to come to Buffalo.  We all know the risks with drafts picks in their rookie seasons (Zay Jones, Teller, McCloud and even Edmunds).  It just doesn’t happen.

I love believing in the PROCESS but with a young, raw QB who is still unproven while trying to blend a plethora of new players into a competent NFL team seems unrealistic.  It may sell tickets but not win a lot of games.

GO BILLS!

If you love believing in the process then you should be excited. 

McDermott's been setting his culture here for 2 years now. 

Beane has hand selected the next Cam Newton. 

They've eaten the cap and should be free to rock. 

McDermott can study the tape all offseason, review how the NFL is scoring 30+ ppg routinely. 

It should be all upside from here. 

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So what should we do then?

Just give up on 2019 already?

I know this is sarcasm, but yes, kind of!  Don't give up, but don't go all in!  Spend half the cap money now and save some for 2020 when we see what young players step up (Edmunds, Wallace, Phillips, Foster, etc), which players don't,  and what our true needs are.  And maybe trade back in one of the top rounds for an extra pick or two in 2020 in case Josh Allen isn't working out by the end of next year and we need to draft another QB.   Get Josh Allen some O-linemen and WRs but if the rest of the team isn't ready and we go 5-11 again next year so be it.  

If they go all-in on free agency in 2019 and Allen isn't the right QB or Beane isn't the right GM, then instead of being 1-3 years away again we'll be 4-5 years away again with no QB and bad free agent contracts we need to dump so that we can begin the process again of starting from scratch.

When they gutted last year's playoff team for this youth movement they promised us an eventual dynasty.  They better not blow it now because they tried to rebuild too fast.  We're likely not going to be that competitive next year anyway.  

15 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I think the OP has a point, although there’s no need to be so negative.

Next year there will be a big influx of new talent; some from the draft, and some as free agents. 

With a large influx of new teammates, it will take time for the team to gel. 

Next year may start off a little rough, but if the talent is any good, the team should get better pretty quickly.

It may take until the 2020 season for the team to start to be dominant on a regular basis. 

Of course the talent evaluators and the coaches have to be good at their jobs for any of this to play out. 

He's dead on as far as needs,  not getting all that in one off season. and not sure I have confidence they will get the right players in f/a... their track record isn't good with f/a. 

I really can’t believe the 3 year re-build plan for the Bills will have much success in 2019.  Regardless of 10 draft picks and $90 mil in cap space it doesn’t make sense.

Realistically we need new, quality;   O Lineman (3), WR (3), RB (2), LB (1), TE (1), DB (1), DL (1) 

We’re going to have to over-pay for quality, top tier free-agents to come to Buffalo.  We all know the risks with drafts picks in their rookie seasons (Zay Jones, Teller, McCloud and even Edmunds).  It just doesn’t happen.

I love believing in the PROCESS but with a young, raw QB who is still unproven while trying to blend a plethora of new players into a competent NFL team seems unrealistic.  It may sell tickets but not win a lot of games.

GO BILLS!

Then don't.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Oh so now 2019 is just be able to compete year. When do we actually become a top tier contender? 2020? 2021? How long do we have to wait? This BS tear down thingy was BS and unneeded if we aren't going to be competative until 2020 or later. Uncalled for when we made the playoffs in 2017, with Rex players at that.

That's not within the context of the meaning competing that I meant.  I said it in various other threads today that they should be competing for the AFC east division next year, anything less is a failure.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

If you love believing in the process then you should be excited. 

McDermott's been setting his culture here for 2 years now. 

Beane has hand selected the next Cam Newton. 

They've eaten the cap and should be free to rock. 

McDermott can study the tape all offseason, review how the NFL is scoring 30+ ppg routinely. 

It should be all upside from here. 

he should look at tape on his game day management first. cause he's horrible at it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, gordong said:

he should look at tape on his game day management first. cause he's horrible at it.

Right. 

He loves to tell you every single press conference how detailed he is, and how many notes he takes. 

So it should be an expectation that he can glean ideas on how to improve the 31st ranked offense.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Right. 

He loves to tell you every single press conference how detailed he is, and how many notes he takes. 

So it should be an expectation that he can glean ideas on how to improve the 31st ranked offense.  

It starts with drafting a QB.  Like they did this last year.  I'll bet you were one of the masses screaming for them to do so.

34 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The only truly significant losses were two offensive lineman. Not quite sure why they regressed so much. You'd think with a better QB and a year in McDermott's defensive system, they'd improve enough in other areas to make up for those losses and even build on that modicum of success.

We replaced a veteran QB with a rookie, lost three offensive lineman, and our RB is a year older, in his 30's.

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

If we are battling it out for the AFC east next year going into the last week of the season, I will take it.

Enjoy the ride, lots of variables have to turn the Bills way

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Should be first. 

Why is the expectation a 2nd place finish?

Brady will be 42 next season. The Jets will have a new Coaching staff. The Dolphins are stuck in the Tannehill conundrum. 

What is stopping the Bills?

I just watched one of the worst games from Brady over 200 watched and it was a fully metaphysical certitude of a cakewalk 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

It starts with drafting a QB.  Like they did this last year.  I'll bet you were one of the masses screaming for them to do so.

Well what else were they supposed to do oldman?

They benched Tyrod Taylor for Nate Peterman, so you couldn't throw him back out there as a starter and build around him. 

What's the road-block now? They should have everything - the Coach, the QB, the Culture, the Cap-Space, the Owner's backing - what's the barrier to real winning next season?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Should be first. 

Why is the expectation a 2nd place finish?

Brady will be 42 next season. The Jets will have a new Coaching staff. The Dolphins are stuck in the Tannehill conundrum. 

What is stopping the Bills?

right now about 10 starters on offense, and 3 on defense...  :)  here's to hoping they find them all

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, gordong said:

right now about 10 starters on offense, and 3 on defense...  :)  here's to hoping they find them all

I don't care about all that. 

If you're waiting for the perfect team, the perfect Left Guard, slot receiver, and #2 cornerback then its not a real bar of expectations. 

The table has been set. Let's see some results. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don't care about all that. 

If you're waiting for the perfect team, the perfect Left Guard, slot receiver, and #2 cornerback then its not a real bar of expectations. 

The table has been set. Let's see some results. 

6-10 should get second place

GO BILLS!

Ehh, you dont understand how parts fitting together can help make the whole more than their sum of their parts.  You won't need all those pieces. You aren't going to have elite level players at every position. You just need enough pieces at key places where other players can play their roles well within the scheme and it all fits together like a jigsaw puzzle.

You are also greatly underestimating the progress these young players will make from year 1 to year 2...

Edited by matter2003