I don't believe in the 3 year plan happening in '19

PUNT750

13 hours ago, Steptide said:

I don't think the plan was 3 years necessarily. I'm willing to bet even if we finish with 6 or 7 wins next year, McDermott will remain the coach. Carolina was pretty bad for a while after they drafted Newton. I think McDermott will be our longest tenured coach since levy to be honest 

Depends. Our defense started out really strong and gradually we have fallen apart. After all the resources spent there I feel like we should have gotten more for our money. If Daboll/Allen continue to grow with each other I could see McD eventually getting ***** canned and Daboll takes over. Defense better play elite football next year and we better make the playoffs otherwise cya later. Daboll is a hot name around the league, hopefully he stays on another year and we can groom him for that potential HC vacancy. 

14 hours ago, row_33 said:

Thsts asking a lot after what I saw yesterday 

need WRs who have a 67 percent success rate on catching passes that hit them right in the center of their hands first

then they have to learn to make catches that are impressive

I don't think Straight expects 10 wins next season. What he's saying is that there's really no excuse for why they shouldn't be a playoff team next season.

I don't expect to live forever and thus have a finite amount of patience. I don't make the decisions, but if I did, anything less than playoffs next season would be grounds for a regime change. I believe that's what he was driving at.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't think Straight expects 10 wins next season. What he's saying is that there's really no excuse for why they shouldn't be a playoff team next season.

I don't expect to live forever and thus have a finite amount of patience. I don't make the decisions, but if I did, anything less than playoffs next season would be grounds for a regime change. I believe that's what he was driving at.

Playoffs usually require 10 wins.

it might happen, I won’t dwell much on football from the end of the Super Bowl until Week One of the season though 

i wont be pinning any hopes for happiness on this team until they PROVE they are worthy, but I will be watching all the games 

15 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I'd say just punt 2019 away, but Darr would likely shank that too. Might as well just go for it and see what happens.

Or botch another snap...

15 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

I really can’t believe the 3 year re-build plan for the Bills will have much success in 2019.  Regardless of 10 draft picks and $90 mil in cap space it doesn’t make sense.

Realistically we need new, quality;   O Lineman (3), WR (3), RB (2), LB (1), TE (1), DB (1), DL (1) 

That’s 12 total to be competitive!!

We’re going to have to over-pay for quality, top tier free-agents to come to Buffalo.  We all know the risks with drafts picks in their rookie seasons (Zay Jones, Teller, McCloud and even Edmunds).  It just doesn’t happen.

I love believing in the PROCESS but with a young, raw QB who is still unproven while trying to blend a plethora of new players into a competent NFL team seems unrealistic.  It may sell tickets but not win a lot of games.

GO BILLS!

91 mil in cap (will be more after a few releases) and ten drafts picks along with the QB position being a little more settled tells me the chances are better for us to start the rise to the top. Most teams overpay for FA’s- it is just how it is. 

RB in rd 3-4 can be an instant contributor.

WR in FA will contribute and 1 in the draft may really shore things up

2 Olineman in FA and 1 or 2 in the draft- good there

TE in the draft and allow Croom to keep developing

CB in the draft- may contribute day 1

Add additional defense as well

- The sky isnt falling my friend.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

The only truly significant losses were two offensive lineman. Not quite sure why they regressed so much. You'd think with a better QB and a year in McDermott's defensive system, they'd improve enough in other areas to make up for those losses and even build on that modicum of success.

They don't have a better QB. Perhaps Allen will become a better QB, but as a rookie, he was definitely not better than TT.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billykay said:

They don't have a better QB. Perhaps Allen will become a better QB, but as a rookie, he was definitely not better than TT.

I was being a bit facetious there. I was fine moving on from Tyrod, but the notion that anyone would be better than him was the prevailing wisdom among many Bills fans.

Clearly Allen has the potential to be much better, but we've seen that we can do worse. Much, much worse.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Or botch another snap...

91 mil in cap (will be more after a few releases) and ten drafts picks along with the QB position being a little more settled tells me the chances are better for us to start the rise to the top. Most teams overpay for FA’s- it is just how it is. 

RB in rd 3-4 can be an instant contributor.

WR in FA will contribute and 1 in the draft may really shore things up

2 Olineman in FA and 1 or 2 in the draft- good there

TE in the draft and allow Croom to keep developing

CB in the draft- may contribute day 1

Add additional defense as well

- The sky isnt falling my friend.

My bad, I didn't realize McBeane was capable of going 8-8 hitting 8 homeruns this off season.

I guess we'll see how much of a power hitter McBeane is because his last off season was more bunts, singles with maybe a double or 2, throw in a bunch of outs as well.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, pop gun said:

My bad, I didn't realize McBeane was capable of going 8-8 hitting 8 homeruns this off season.

I guess we'll see how much of a power hitter McBeane is because his last off season was more bunts, singles with maybe a double or 2, throw in a bunch of outs as well.

So cynical- I am just pointing out we are in good shape going into the offseason. Im done talking with you as you add no value to my life- addition by subtraction 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Adam727 said:

I know this is sarcasm, but yes, kind of!  Don't give up, but don't go all in!  Spend half the cap money now and save some for 2020 when we see what young players step up (Edmunds, Wallace, Phillips, Foster, etc), which players don't,  and what our true needs are.  And maybe trade back in one of the top rounds for an extra pick or two in 2020 in case Josh Allen isn't working out by the end of next year and we need to draft another QB.   Get Josh Allen some O-linemen and WRs but if the rest of the team isn't ready and we go 5-11 again next year so be it.  

If they go all-in on free agency in 2019 and Allen isn't the right QB or Beane isn't the right GM, then instead of being 1-3 years away again we'll be 4-5 years away again with no QB and bad free agent contracts we need to dump so that we can begin the process again of starting from scratch.

When they gutted last year's playoff team for this youth movement they promised us an eventual dynasty.  They better not blow it now because they tried to rebuild too fast.  We're likely not going to be that competitive next year anyway.  

This entire post implies Beane gives a flying bleep about the organization beyond his tenure. He does not. Unless Pegula has foolishly given him some kind of blessing beyond 2019, he goes ALL IN this offseason. This may be his one and only chance to be a GM and the clock is presumably ticking.

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I’m just saying what’s stopping the Bills now? 

Every year fans rush to defend the Bills. We couldn’t do this because of that, you can’t expect that, we lost this player, how could our Coach have known that. And on and on and on. 

The Bills have no excuses now. They have the building blocks in place to the plan Beane has been talking about, so I’m saying let’s see it. 

Josh Allen leading more than 1-TD drive a game, not banking on 52 yard FGs, throwing over 300 yards a game occasionally, actually thinking to run a screen to a running back, a crossing route, can the Bills finally find a real starting NFL Tight End, or are we going to continue finding these converted Joe Klopfenstein types. 

When are we going to field a real team? 

Every press conference, every interview is keep the game close, don’t turn it over, correct mistakes, 3rd and manageable, punting and field position. 

I’m asking for a team that someday takes the training wheels off. Does this Coach have another mental gear? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Magox said:

They dont need all that to be competitive. With 2 good o-linemen and a WR alone they can compete.

They need more than but with that they can compete.  Specially if you assume, logically, that you will have a second year improved Allen and Foster 

Keep telling yourself that.  Too many current Bills players, especially on offense and including some starters, don't belong on an NFL roster -- and won't be on one unless the Bills bring them back.

Edited by SoTier

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Every year fans rush to defend the Bills. We couldn’t do this because of that, you can’t expect that, we lost this player, how could our Coach have known that. And on and on and on. 

The Bills have no excuses now. They have the building blocks in place to the plan Beane has been talking about, so I’m saying let’s see it. 

Josh Allen leading more than 1-TD drive a game, not banking on 52 yard FGs, throwing over 300 yards a game occasionally, actually thinking to run a screen to a running back, a crossing route, can the Bills finally find a real starting NFL Tight End, or are we going to continue finding these converted Joe Klopfenstein types. 

Every press conference, every interview is keep the game close, don’t turn it over, correct mistakes, 3rd and manageable, punting and field position. 

I’m asking for a team that someday takes the training wheels off. Does this Coach have another mental gear? 

I seriously doubt it.  Philosophically, McDermott's much more a defensive HC like Dick Jauron than Bill Belichick or Pete Carroll -- even Ron Rivera.

This FO better get their ***** together.   2019 is the year. No more wasting time.  I would hate to start another rebuild in 2020. 

19 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

We replaced a veteran QB with a rookie, lost three offensive lineman, and our RB is a year older, in his 30's.

Still no reason for such a decline. We were supposed to improve on last year and we didn’t. 

McD is failing...bad 

He gets one more year to right the ship. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BlueandRed said:

This FO better get their ***** together.   2019 is the year. No more wasting time.  I would hate to start another rebuild in 2020. 

That’s what I’m talking about.

Fans who put down the Pom-Pom’s and start asking when does the winning start. 

Because those fans are smart enough to realize that you don’t get 6 years to show progress without the winning. 

If the year-3 gameplan is still centered around protect the football and playing field position, then how do you expect to beat the Colts, the Chiefs, heck even the Browns? How are you going to score enough points to even be a threat? When am I actually going to be good? 

It doesn’t make sense to draft rocket arm Josh Allen just to institute a bleed clock, ground and pound like the Ravens. They’re better at it anyways because they draft players of a certain body type. 

Figure it out Bills, what’s our identity? Undrafted scrap heap players trying to defy the Scouting Reports? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

THANK YOU FOR AN EXCELLENT POST AND REALISTIC POINT OF VIEW!!!  ALL OF THE ABOVE IS SO TRUE!!!

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

10 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I mentioned Cam Newton specifically because Brandon Beane has referenced Cam Newton by name when asked about what he looks for in a Franchise Quarterback, so he thinks he’s one. 

When asked why Josh Allen after the draft he weaved in Cam Newton’s name into Allen’s running ability from designed plays. 

We’ve seen the multitude of ex-Panthers they’ve brought in. I think that’s a big reason Allen is here. He reminds them of Cam Newton, and the “Panther model” got both McD and Beane their highest level of achievement to date in the sport. 

Regardless, this regime has everything they want now. They didn’t settle for the QB they took, they got the man they ranked #1 overall. There should be no excuses now about culture or cap or scheme. It’s McDermott’s culture, it’s his style of play, he has time to review all the film. 

2019 should bring real progress in the win column. 

I agree with what your saying but i hate the buy some other teams philosophy of building because it worked in Carolina. I cant stand that bandcamp mentality. It never works . Teams that build champions build it in there own image. Im rooting hard for Allen and i believe he has the potential to be great but McBeane will ruin him if they want to use him like Cam. Cam is not even 8yrs into his career and already looks worn down from all the hits he's taken in his career. This kid Allen has potential for more and needs the right guys to develop him. I hope McBeane realizes this and develop Allen to be a pocket passer that sometimes only when absolutly neccessary runs. These QB draw plays are amateur and is gonna get our young QB injured at some pt hopefully it wont be something that ruins his career.

9 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

He was pretty dominant when they had some skill position players and his body was right.  Olsen is always broke.  Steve Smith got old retired  Benjamin got fat/traded.  They have Mccaffrey who is a stud.  I'm not sure Newton can be a top 10 qb without using his body to run  Big part of his game  Read option and the run fake to set up downfield shots

He had 1 great Mvp type yr. He caught lightning in a bottle . Even Jay Cutler put up great numbers a few times doesn't mean he's elite. Cam is 2nd teir and thats not bad u can win with him but he's not the carry a team on his bk QB . 

They don't need great players at every position.  They need a couple great players on offense, a few good players, and the rest average NFL talent.  Its not as hard as you think.  No, they wont get everyone they want in one more year, but they should be able to get good enough people to compete for a playoff position at least.

• Like (+1) 1