I don't believe in the 3 year plan happening in '19

PUNT750

3 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

I really can’t believe the 3 year re-build plan for the Bills will have much success in 2019.  Regardless of 10 draft picks and $90 mil in cap space it doesn’t make sense.

Realistically we need new, quality;   O Lineman (3), WR (3), RB (2), LB (1), TE (1), DB (1), DL (1) 

That’s 12 total to be competitive!!

We’re going to have to over-pay for quality, top tier free-agents to come to Buffalo.  We all know the risks with drafts picks in their rookie seasons (Zay Jones, Teller, McCloud and even Edmunds).  It just doesn’t happen.

I love believing in the PROCESS but with a young, raw QB who is still unproven while trying to blend a plethora of new players into a competent NFL team seems unrealistic.  It may sell tickets but not win a lot of games.

GO BILLS!

To be honest, even the top teams have 4 holes on their roster. It’s pretty rare to have a good player at every position. If they add 2 OL (FA), another starting FA, and 3 starters in the draft this team will be very good.

They can add three legit starters and some depth in free agency. Let say they add a starting LB in free agency along with a starting guard and a starting center. They grab an WR1 like Metcalf in round 1. 

They still need a TE, a WR2, a LT, and a G on offence. We could use another DL and CB but that would be a luxury pick, we are solid there. 

We need to hit on round 2 and round 3 (which this staff is capable of). Then you fill the other 4 needs with lower level free agents. If we hit on the top three picks this is a playoff team next year. Hard to do but not impossible.

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, pop gun said:

There it is, the excuses for being bad next year have already started. Got news for you McClown won't be here after next year if this team doesn't produce.

I mean the goal is winning the Super Bowl is that happening next year, not likely. What I hope for a great year next year is a playoff win. But with all signs pointing to a lot of new faces starting on the team next year it is reasonable to expect growing pains as they coalesce into a solid team. I mean from what I remember from the beginning of this season it was supposed to be bad I saw plenty of prediction that it would actually be worse than this. This year they were a team that really had to dig deep to find a way to win next year hopefully they're at least a much better team they maybe needs to be more consistent. The year after that they should be really dangerous.

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So what should we do then?

Just give up on 2019 already?

Obviously they should fire Beane and McDermott and cut Allen (bust) and start the new 3 year plan over.   Only this time challenge for a Super Bowl in year 1 of the new rebuild.  That's the only acceptable plan to the vocal minority.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

We’re gonna need more ‘3 year plans’ than Stalin had ‘5 year plans’.  Call J.P. Ricciardi, formerly with the Blue Jays; he had a new plan every spring training.  He’ll have some ideas.

Well, J.P. had 4 winning seasons in his 8 years as GM ... wake me up when the Bills reach that level of "success"

EDIT: We were 33-31 from 2014-17.  Little did we know at the time that that was our big run of success.  Seriously, the last 4 year period in which we finished above .500 was 1997-2000. In some ways that's even more depressing than not making the playoffs for 17 years.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

I might be in the minority here but anything less then a playoff berth in 2019 will be a disappointment for me and I would have to question the direction this team is moving. I tried to start a thread about this but it got closed so I will just comment here.

We need 2 maybe 3 lineman and a starting wide receiver to be a playoff team IMO. Get a proven true no#1 WR if possible and move Zay to the slot were he is supposed to be with foster on the other side as a burner. If we cant get that with 90 million in cash we need a new front office.

Available free agent WR in 2019 https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Available Free agent O Line 2019 https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/offensive-line/

Draft should be BPA if we can shore up the line and get the WR with the cash.

As for the rest, this is the NFL in 2019, a running back can be found anywhere particularly since we don't need elite talent just a north south hard runner with the offense we have. I think replacing the lineman will improve the running game regardless.

Fixing the line and getting a real No 1 WR should be the priority IMO. Do that and everyone looks better.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

Thsts asking a lot after what I saw yesterday 

need WRs who have a 67 percent success rate on catching passes that hit them right in the center of their hands first

then they have to learn to make catches that are impressive

True. But it would be year 3 from Mcd and co.

If they don't go 10-6, they better damn well go 9-7 and look like a team on the rise.

Anything short of 9 wins next year while looking like a team on the rise would spell the end of Mcbeane in my eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

This team is at least 2-3 more years away from being a contender. There's minimal FA talent in 2019 as of now, and expect Kyle to retire -- creating a hole that Phillips has yet to prove he can fill.

It's unrealistic to expect 2019 rookies to have an immediate impact that can turn it all around at positions like WR, late round RBs, OLine, Dline. If somethign happens to Brady, allen improves enough, or we get better WR play, we may be able to sneak in a WC here as a 1 and done team again.

2020, Lorenzo retires and creates a another hole. Shady is definitely gone, so now we need to have a marquee RB. Hughes might be considering retirement by now. Hopefully some of the 2019 rookies (WR) have started to come around and Edmunds and Phillips have proven they're serviceable starters or even stars. If not, draw again. if everything works in the Bills favor here, MAYBE they could have a little run to the playoffs, but I can't write a script that makes them championship contenders here.

2021. Assuming Allen is great, we have a stud WR, stud WR, lines are shored up, DB depth, Brady is now the most obnoxious commentator in sports - now we can finally talk about realistic scenarios for a championship team.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

This team is at least 2-3 more years away from being a contender. There's minimal FA talent in 2019 as of now, and expect Kyle to retire -- creating a hole that Phillips has yet to prove he can fill.

It's unrealistic to expect 2019 rookies to have an immediate impact that can turn it all around at positions like WR, late round RBs, OLine, Dline. If somethign happens to Brady, allen improves enough, or we get better WR play, we may be able to sneak in a WC here as a 1 and done team again.

2020, Lorenzo retires and creates a another hole. Shady is definitely gone, so now we need to have a marquee RB. Hughes might be considering retirement by now. Hopefully some of the 2019 rookies (WR) have started to come around and Edmunds and Phillips have proven they're serviceable starters or even stars. If not, draw again. if everything works in the Bills favor here, MAYBE they could have a little run to the playoffs, but I can't write a script that makes them championship contenders here.

2021. Assuming Allen is great, we have a stud WR, stud WR, lines are shored up, DB depth, Brady is now the most obnoxious commentator in sports - now we can finally talk about realistic scenarios for a championship team.

Sounds about right. The question is though, if the Bills aren't competitive next year do they bring Mcbeane back for 2020... I would say no as they need to show vast improvement next year

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

The only truly significant losses were two offensive lineman. Not quite sure why they regressed so much. You'd think with a better QB and a year in McDermott's defensive system, they'd improve enough in other areas to make up for those losses and even build on that modicum of success.

Im going to say Castillo and  Dennison were the other major problems...they came in and totally changed the scheme...if you look back to Millers first year, he actually looked somewhat decent, now everyone wants him gone...Dennison is gone but Castillo is still here

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

If you love believing in the process then you should be excited. 

McDermott's been setting his culture here for 2 years now. 

Beane has hand selected the next Cam Newton. 

They've eaten the cap and should be free to rock. 

McDermott can study the tape all offseason, review how the NFL is scoring 30+ ppg routinely. 

It should be all upside from here. 

Does anyone here really respect Cam Newton as an elite franchise QB. I think he's a teir 2 QB maybe from 11-15 best in league.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

According to others it takes a couple of games.

There can’t be excellence that quick, but maybe everyone else will suck so it won’t take as long to do better than the middle of the pack 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Does anyone here really respect Cam Newton as an elite franchise QB. I think he's a teir 2 QB maybe from 11-15 best in league.

I mentioned Cam Newton specifically because Brandon Beane has referenced Cam Newton by name when asked about what he looks for in a Franchise Quarterback, so he thinks he’s one. 

When asked why Josh Allen after the draft he weaved in Cam Newton’s name into Allen’s running ability from designed plays. 

We’ve seen the multitude of ex-Panthers they’ve brought in. I think that’s a big reason Allen is here. He reminds them of Cam Newton, and the “Panther model” got both McD and Beane their highest level of achievement to date in the sport. 

Regardless, this regime has everything they want now. They didn’t settle for the QB they took, they got the man they ranked #1 overall. There should be no excuses now about culture or cap or scheme. It’s McDermott’s culture, it’s his style of play, he has time to review all the film. 

2019 should bring real progress in the win column.