Again people..... This is the first year of a REBUILD

H2o

9 minutes ago, pop gun said:

This, and for those to think the Bills will get home runs on every FA and Draft pick next year is completely comical but some fans think that will happen without a doubt. 

Don't think that is the case at all nor do many others on TBD! I heard the same pessimism in 1985 - 1986 and the beginning of 1987!

2 minutes ago, vorpma said:

If the Bills are 6 - 10 next December then it's time for action; only fair to give the current regime the 2019 season! This off season will make or break them!

Man I'm hot, I got a thumbs up from BADOBILZ!! Merry Christmas and may 2019 bring about the start of a new Bills era!!!

I’ve mentioned this many times on here: Rebuilding doesn’t really start until you’re done with the Demolition phase. With the exception of Allen, I’m hard pressed to see the young core that’ll form the foundation of this franchise. Pending Cap space isn’t a foundation. I’ll be more interested in what happens next January through April than I was with anything that’s happened since this past September.  There’s a ton of work to do OBD!

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Again with all of the p***ing and moaning threads all over I just wanted to remind everyone this is really the first year of a rebuild. It's all this player sucks, we whiffed on this person or that person, we should have done this, we should have done that, this coach, that coach, the GM sucks, fire someone, fire everyone, it makes this board hard to read anymore. We lost 2 good OL'man and traded away another for whatever reasons they had. We have a rookie QB without much help, but has still basically been the entire offense this year. We have a rag-tag group of WR's who have not done much to help said rookie QB. No running game. A defense that isn't having the same good fortune as last year. You can post your QB ratings and think it proves something, blame coaching, who we signed, who we didn't sign, blame the GM, whatever. We have a young team at many key positions right now, a FA period with $90,000,000 to spend, and 10 draft picks coming up in 2019. If this was the end of next year I would understand, but it's not. I hope Santa brings you guys some Preparation H and a 3 pack of Puffs with lotion for Christmas. 

2025 you’ll post the same thread.. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m tired of excuses like this. Baker Mayfield & Sam Darnold have at times looked the part of a franchise QB. Lamar Jackson is the best athletic QB. We have at best the #4 QB in the draft & there is easily a 50/50 chance Allen totally busts in 2019. How much better can a 50% passer get in year 2 assuming we bring in a rookie WR & TE? I don’t want to sound the alarm, but this regime likely has 16 to 32 games until a new one is brought in to attempt another ‘rebuild’. We play the NFC East & AFC North next year. That’s a tough climb. Road games at Dallas, Cleveland, & Pittsburgh. What’s the rosiest early predictions on 2019? 7-9? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, pop gun said:

How long did it take Harbaugh in SF or Pederson in Philly or Lynn in LA or McVay in LA or Nagy in Chi, this takes time bs is just that bs!

Yikes....I was responding to a poster whose name is Ittakestime. It was a play on words.

What puzzles me is that Bills message boards have always been majority negative and the reason is quite simple; the Bills have been bad for over 20 years. 

Why should I be encouraged now as opposed to then other than blind faith?

Were people always so optimistic or is there something this regime is doing that gives you such hope? Honest question. I think it's perfectly reasonable to question the decision makers when there is nothing to show for the rebuild other than a 9-7 season followed by a 5/6-10/11 campaign.

44 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

So cliche.

What team has consistently been great? The Steelers?

Once a team finds the right owners and front-office regime, and a franchise QB, then they experience consistent success. Until then, rebuilds happen all the time. There is such a thing.

Only those who really follow the NFL understand this; the Patriots are an oddity getting the right owner, coach, and QB not to mention no other team in the history of sports has a better personnel or scouting department. The Bills had a losing culture for 17 years the Patriots expect to win; you don't change that in one season. Cowboys fans wanted Jimmy Johnson's head on a platter the 189 and 1990 season; especially after the Walker trade - you know how it goes when you trade fan favorites! Rebuilds do happen - the Steeler's and Dolphins in the 1970's, Bills in the 1980's, Cowboys and Patriots in the 1990's. When they are successful it means productivity for the long term - not the 2017 flash in the pan Eagles!

10 minutes ago, pop gun said:

How long did it take Harbaugh in SF or Pederson in Philly or Lynn in LA or McVay in LA or Nagy in Chi, this takes time bs is just that bs!

I understand the point you're trying to make, but yes, these things usually do take time. In the examples you used:

• Harbaugh - had Smith/Kaep in place and made the playoffs his first year (McD had Tyrod in place and went to the playoffs his first year)
  • Pederson - first season with Wentz Philly went 7-9 and missed the playoffs
  • Lynn - Has a future HOFer at QB so this is REALLY apples to oranges
  • McVay - Goff was already in LA for a year and got his rookie season out of the way
  • Nagy - Trubisky was already in Chicago for a year and got his rookie season out of the way

I think the true litmus test will be next season, when Allen has a year under his belt and has talent around him. Chicago having Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Cohen, and Howard >>> what Allen has to work with. And then LA? Woods, Cooks, Cupp, Gurley... there's no comparison.

Edited by junior12thman92

I just want to know when Allen is supposed to get better...

We only gave EJ Manuel 10 games his rookie year, then 4 into his next before we benched him... and EJ finished those 10 games with a 4 - 6 record, 58.8% completions, 1,972 yards and 11 passing TD's to 9 INT's.

Allen has a 4 - 6 record (same), 51.7% completions (significantly worse), 1,850 yards (worse) and 7 passing TD's (worse) to 9 INT's (same). So do we give Allen 1 more game this year, and the first 3 of next season before we settle on his benching? 

I mean people HATED EJ by that 2nd season, so how long before Allen gets called out for being the exact same player he's always been since college? Improve? Not even close... he's exactly the damn same! When we're playing the weakest teams the past several weeks it's fun to watch him look decent, running around like a RB... but against good teams he plays just as poorly as he always has in college the past few years against good teams!

But I don't know why I'm even trying to explain this... these same board members are the ones who claimed:

1. We should easily make the playoffs again since we did it last year, and we now have a better QB

2. The O-line improved by subtraction...(seriously, wtf argument was that?!)

3. The we didn't have the worst QB group in the league with only 4 games started between 3 guys 

4. That our WR corps anchored by KB was a solid starting unit

5. Allen is better than Mahomes

6. LeSean McCoy has many good years left ahead of him

7. Accuracy isn't important and "doesn't really matter"

It could go on and on, but these brilliant assessments have driven me nuts since the off season, and looking ahead it'll likely get even worse. The one thing I know for a fact is that if we want Allen to succeed, we DO NOT draft any defensive player with our first pick.

Our unit is ranked #1 overall, so perhaps work on improving the 30th-32nd ranked offense instead. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree no excuses whatsoever next year.

The problem is that every regime has a plan..........it's not something exclusive to McBeane.........and it's typically involved patience and a certain set of circumstances falling into place that they sold to the fanbase as virtually inevitable but then did not happen.

Like Buddy Nix telling us we were going to have to endure years of suffering while he rebuilt the roster so it was good enough for him to draft a QB.

So he passed on QB's to build the roster up and then when it was time to take one there wasn't one available.

Whoops.

Everyone lauding the Bills for having $100M to spend(after McCoy and Clay cuts) is putting a lot of faith into a free agency system that hasn't seen a lot of talent come available in recent years.

Last year the Jets and Niners each took over $100M into FA and couldn't get anyone good to take it or otherwise find anyone worth spending it on.

The main difference being that I believe we have found our franchise QB.  If that is indeed the case then the road to consistently competing for the AFC east becomes much easier.  And even though money doesnt guarantee that you will be able to get quality players it certainly doesn't hurt and it is the job on the GM to put quality players on the roster.

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Right.

So if all that matters is next year the question is what do you expect next year?

I want to see them be aggressive in FA addressing the needs of this team as well as filling the team out with draft picks. In the end it depends on what we are able to do. If there are obvious upgrades to help Allen out and he still looks the same then I'll probably be pissed too. What I expect is for him to improve as they improve the team around him and us to be back in the playoffs again for the 2nd time in 3 years next year. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Next year we compete for the AFC east title.  If we aren't then McD and Beane are certainly on the hot seat.  It's obvious to me that all along it was a 3 year plan to become truly competitive and from my view we are on track.

With who on the Oline, WR, TE and RB positions?

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

9/10 of those teams have franchise QBs for the entire period. Once the QB is gone it’s full rebuild.

What’s wild to me is that we wildly overachieved this year. I thought we would be so much worse. 

But the other poster was right-it is about perspective. I always knew this year was about the rookie qb and clearing the cap space. So I always thought this would be a terrible year. Honestly, you’d have been a fool to think otherwise. 

Importantly, there is a clear plan and intention with the way this has unfolded. They got their QB, they got their cap space, and they have a ton of young players. I honestly could not be more excited.

Really?

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Next year we compete for the AFC east title.  If we aren't then McD and Beane are certainly on the hot seat.  It's obvious to me that all along it was a 3 year plan to become truly competitive and from my view we are on track.

Doubt competing for the AFC east title is going to happen next year. So knowing most likely that doesn't happen next year why wait until next year for McClown to be on the hot seat? Knowing what we know about his limitations after 2 years his seat should be real hot this year, why wait until next year? 

Is it you know he isn't a very good coach but need another year to cement that fact before kicking him to the curb?

1 minute ago, Magox said:

With who I expect for the FO to pick un FA and the draft.

Are there enough out there to go around, since we won't get everyone we want, and will the FA's choose Buffalo over many other teams with probably a much better situation to offer.