Missed opportunities (Buf @ NE)

The Red King

It's easy to be discouraged after yesterday, but it's worse when you think of how many points the Bills left out on the field.  How much better would Allen's stats have looked had the sun not broken up that perfectly thrown long ball?  That's 7.  We missed a field goal, and didn't try another shortly after thanks to an injured kicker.  6 more there.  Fumble at the NE 5 prevented what would have been another 3-7.  In total, just that small number of plays cost us 16-20 points.  We only scored 12.

Now, I'm not saying we would have won.  Obviously, NE would have played differently were the game closer.  But, we would have been more competative.  All teams have rough breaks, and it wouldn't have been unusual to have one of the above happen, but all of them?  What I wonder is, can we fix those intangibles?  I'm not worried about Haush.  Offseason to heal and he should be back in buisness.  We need playmakers on offense, specifically receivers.  Other teams, you look and say "Holy crap!  How did he catch that?".  Us, it's "Holy crap, how did he drop that?".  It seems like where other receivers bail out their QB at times, Allen has to hit his in the numbers to even have a chance.

It just struck me as odd, how the smallest number of plays had such a drastic effect on Buffalo's scoring, and how we might be closer to NE then we showed.

19 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Other teams, you look and say "Holy crap!  How did he catch that?".  Us, it's "Holy crap, how did he drop that?". 

I watched a Chiefs receiver drop an easy TD yesterday. I said, "Holy crap, how did he drop that?" and then I realized it was Kelvin Benjamin.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 10

35 minutes ago, The Red King said:

It's easy to be discouraged after yesterday, but it's worse when you think of how many points the Bills left out on the field.  How much better would Allen's stats have looked had the sun not broken up that perfectly thrown long ball?  That's 7.  We missed a field goal, and didn't try another shortly after thanks to an injured kicker.  6 more there.  Fumble at the NE 5 prevented what would have been another 3-7.  In total, just that small number of plays cost us 16-20 points.  We only scored 12.

Now, I'm not saying we would have won.  Obviously, NE would have played differently were the game closer.  But, we would have been more competative.  All teams have rough breaks, and it wouldn't have been unusual to have one of the above happen, but all of them?  What I wonder is, can we fix those intangibles?  I'm not worried about Haush.  Offseason to heal and he should be back in buisness.  We need playmakers on offense, specifically receivers.  Other teams, you look and say "Holy crap!  How did he catch that?".  Us, it's "Holy crap, how did he drop that?".  It seems like where other receivers bail out their QB at times, Allen has to hit his in the numbers to even have a chance.

It just struck me as odd, how the smallest number of plays had such a drastic effect on Buffalo's scoring, and how we might be closer to NE then we showed.

Throwing a bomb into the glaring sun was the exact kind of inattention-to-detail thing that a well prepared team like the Patriots doesn't do.

The second it left his hand I was wondering if the receiver was going to be able to see it in the sun.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Throwing a bomb into the glaring sun was the exact kind of inattention-to-detail thing that a well prepared team like the Patriots doesn't do.

The second it left his hand I was wondering if the receiver was going to be able to see it in the sun.

Same old Bills

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, The Red King said:

People here are quick to dismiss your topic, but you raise some excellent points.  There were opportunities to make plays - specifically as skill positions and the Bills talent let them down. 1 or 2 of their moments you referenced make it a game changer.

I really think it’s a different and if Foster is able to catch the bomb from Allen.  It would dictate a change in coverage for NE.

Overall the game highlighted what we all ready know....The Bills need to get some

help for Allen in 2019

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Same old Bills

Sweet syrupy Billsyness.

We can't get enough.

Like Hauschka's 42 yard field goal landing short to the dismay of the announcing team.

We hear that astonished disbelief over Bills ineptitude from announcers every time the Bills play the Pats.............nobody really understands the psychological hold that the Pats have on the Bills organization except Bills fans.    

Some Bills fans think this happens elsewhere in the division but in truth the Dolphins and Jets play much more consistently representative football against the Pats.    The Pats always bring out the Billsy in the Bills. 

These always exist, but yesterday was too much.  Can’t help but think it’s a bit psychological with that team now.

It will take time and talent to change that - but it can change quickly and dramatically.  The Red Sox flipped the script with the Yankees by coming back from 3 down.

I see us having that kind of defining moment in the near future - either a blowout win, or maybe knocking them out of the playoffs.

50 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I'm not the type to be pessimistic about our team's future prospects. However,  let's be fair-minded in assessing this game. They simply kicked our arses. We couldn't stop them when we knew that they were going to run the ball. There was nothing exotic about their offensive scheme. Their approach was if you can't stop us then we will run the same plays until you do. In the running game we never did. 

If throwing the ball into the sun was going to be problematic then why did we do it? We had an opportunity in warm ups to judge the field and weather conditions. We didn't do it. The Pats stacked the line on defense leaving the middle of the field wide open for throws to the middle. So not only could our receivers not get open but we continued to accentuate the sideline throws. How smart is that? 

When you start bringing up the line of thinking that "we could have" and "should have" and "if only" you are resorting to lame and pathetic excuses that losers use. This is a game in which the stats don't reflect the imbalance in the game. The positive stats that were mostly garnered by us in the passing game were generated when the Pats loosened up and allowed us to make the meaningless plays. Zay Jones caught a bunch of passes when the game was out of hand and was given more room by the defense. Ask yourself how open was he for most of the game? His stats in this game ring hollow and are meaningless. 

When you get your arse whipped by a superior team that was mostly coasting then have some honesty and dignity in acknowledging what was so obvious to see. 

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sweet syrupy Billsyness.

We can't get enough.

Like Hauschka's 42 yard field goal landing short to the dismay of the announcing team.

We hear that astonished disbelief over Bills ineptitude from announcers every time the Bills play the Pats.............nobody really understands the psychological hold that the Pats have on the Bills organization except Bills fans.    

Some Bills fans think this happens elsewhere in the division but in truth the Dolphins and Jets play much more consistently representative football against the Pats.    The Pats always bring out the Billsy in the Bills. 

The worst part is aside from that Jet sweep they ran over and over again, their game plan wasn't really that exotic. Play man and force Josh Allen to throw. Run the ball over and over again between the tackles. Brilliant. They won't get far in the playoffs, even if they were gifted another bye. 

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

People here are quick to dismiss your topic, but you raise some excellent points.  There were opportunities to make plays - specifically as skill positions and the Bills talent let them down. 1 or 2 of their moments you referenced make it a game changer.

I really think it’s a different and if Foster is able to catch the bomb from Allen.  It would dictate a change in coverage for NE.

Overall the game highlighted what we all ready know....The Bills need to get some

help for Allen in 2019

The offense was not that bad... except for the receivers, run blocking... OK they were bad but as mentioned in this thread, not that far behind - especially when we imagine just a few added good players next year. The run "defense" was the major killer besides the receivers. Since when has the Patriots been a successful run heavy team?

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm not the type to be pessimistic about our team's future prospects. However,  let's be fair-minded in assessing this game. They simply kicked our arses. We couldn't stop them when we knew that they were going to run the ball. There was nothing exotic about their offensive scheme. Their approach was if you can't stop us then we will run the same plays until you do. In the running game we never did. 

If throwing the ball into the sun was going to be problematic then why did we do it? We had an opportunity in warm ups to judge the field and weather conditions. We didn't do it. The Pats stacked the line on defense leaving the middle of the field wide open for throws to the middle. So not only could our receivers not get open but we continued to accentuate the sideline throws. How smart is that? 

When you start bringing up the line of thinking that "we could have" and "should have" and "if only" you are resorting to lame and pathetic excuses that losers use. This is a game in which the stats don't reflect the imbalance in the game. The positive stats that were mostly garnered by us in the passing game were generated when the Pats loosened up and allowed us to make the meaningless plays. Zay Jones caught a bunch of passes when the game was out of hand and was given more room by the defense. Ask yourself how open was he for most of the game? His stats in this game ring hollow and are meaningless. 

When you get your arse whipped by a superior team that was mostly coasting then have some honesty and dignity in acknowledging what was so obvious to see. 

Who was making excuses?  Did you even read my post?  I even specifically said "I'm not saying we would have won...".  I...think you missed the point of the thread entirely.

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Who was making excuses?  Did you even read my post?  I even specifically said "I'm not saying we would have won...".  I...think you missed the point of the thread entirely.

This game was not close to being competitive. The score and stats did not reflect how much better they were. Talking about specific plays when in general your team is being dominated is an exercise in futility. That's the point!

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Which Josh shortly followed up by a massive miss to the sidelines into the sun as the sun put his depth perception off.   I can accept that he will make mistakes, but he's gotta learn from them quicker and during the game.   That sun spots causing a problem?  Don't throw into again.

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This game was not close to being competitive. The score and stats did not reflect how much better they were. Talking about specific plays when in general your team is being dominated is an exercise in futility. That's the point!

Talking specifics when your team is dominated is kinda what this board does.  Otherwise there would be just one new thread after the game titled "We got dominated".

You seem to think I'm excusing the Bills, or saying they only lost because of the plays mentioned.  I claimed nothing of the sort, and specifically said otherwise.  That aside, the plays mentioned in the OP were certainly back-breakers, and changed the momentum of the game.

Honestly, we get dominated, and you think people should only be able to create posts stating exactly that, while being forbidden from discussing certain aspects of the game?  Would make TBD a very boring place.