Questions we still have after this season? Offense Edition?

Before the season started there were a lot of questions to be answered about what the Bills were planning to do and what they could accomplish.

After this season, I think we have more questions than when we started.

Here is my list;  Please add to it and let's get the bottom of this mess:

It took more than half a season to sort out the QB situation, but I think the Bills finally settled the #1 and #2 spots for 2019. The biggest question mark to me is:

QB? Can Josh Allen develop some touch on his passing game?  

Allen is not going to become elite with bullets and rushes. After watching Mahomes and Wilson square off last night (both QB's the Bills passed on) I could not help but notice that they made plays with pressure coming by completing unorthodox passes. Shuttles, flings, backhanded throwing motion, all precise and on target that turned short/dump-offs into big gains.  With so much emphasis on Josh's mechanics and throwing motion, I can't help but feel he needs to find that short touch game and be able to improvise better. Granted better WR's will make those 25 yd bullets a routine catch, but I still think he needs to work on his short game.

RB? Will Shady take a pay cut if he wants to stay?

It is clear Shady lost a step and the run game took a hit. I think an incentive based 2-3 year contract with 2-3m base would work. I don't think he will get big bucks on the open market, especially when RB's like Ford, Murphy and Ivory racked up more YPC.   It's clear we need a new #1 RB.

Do we go after a FA like CJ Anderson, Tevin Coleman, Mark Ingram, David Johnson, TJ Yeldon or do we draft one in Rds 2-4?

WR?  Do we draft trade down and/or draft Metcalf, AJ or Marquis Brown, Nkeal Harry, or wait until the 2nd round to find a WR like UB's Johnson?

We all know the obvious need here.  IMO, we need to sign a FA (Lockett, Tate, Cobb) and draft a WR in the first round. As a.homer you want to see us trade down pick up OL in RD1 and take Johnson in Rd2. There seem to be a lot of college WR's putting up big stats, so it will be interesting to see how this pans out. I don't want to make the Sammy mistake again, but if someone starts to jump off the page as a legit game-changing #1, I think we need to think seriously about it.  

OL?  How many starters can we legitimately replace?

The OL has been pretty bad at times and other times they seem to be serviceable. It's obvious we need upgrades, but how many and from where?  I'd be ok with taking the best Tackle off the board with our first pick. But if may be a case of BPA vs need when we are on the clock. With so many holes to fill, which one's are first?  I think Ducasse, Miller and Sirles are gone.  Groy, McDermitt, Boettger,  are on the bubble for depth depending on how we draft and how they improve, but my guess is goodbye.  That leaves us with Dawkins,  Bodine, Teller and Mills should stay. Ideally Bodine and Mills would be depth backups and we sign Matt Paradis -C, Daryl Williams- RT  Mason or Marpet - G

TE? Can we sign a #1 TE?

Damn do we need a TE or what. Clay is done. Croom can't hold on to the ball and Thomas can't catch. I say we sign Jared Cook, Jesse James or Delaine Walker, then draft another TE in Rd's 3-4. I like Eifert but his health is a major concern. I'd take a flier for an incentive driven, low risk contract.

That about sums up my questions for the offense. Sadly, there's so much to do, I'm not sure how much attention we can give to the defense. 

Edited by BillsRdue

I think Allen is farther along than many thought he would be, and that a full offseason to digest these lessons, learn from mistakes, and prepare the offense will be huge for him.

Diggs isn’t a free agent. There really aren’t any #1 WR on the FA market this year. I think a Cobb or Lockett could be a good edition, but we still need to get a real #1.

10 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Before the season started there were a lot of questions to be answered about what the Bills were planning to do and what they could accomplish.

After this season, I think we have more questions than when we started.

Here is my list;  Please add to it and let's get the bottom of this mess:

It took more than half a season to sort out the QB situation, but I think the Bills finally settled the #1 and #2 spots for 2019. The biggest question mark to me is:

Allen is not going to become elite with bullets and rushes. After watching Mahomes and Wilson square off last night (both QB's the Bills passed on) I could not help but notice that they made plays with pressure coming by completing unorthodox passes. Shuttles, flings, backhanded throwing motion, all precise and on target that turned short/dump-offs into big gains.  With so much emphasis on Josh's mechanics and throwing motion, I can't help but feel he needs to find that short touch game and be able to improvise better. Granted better WR's will make those 25 yd bullets a routine catch, but I still think he needs to work on his short game.

It is clear Shady lost a step and the run game took a hit. I think an incentive based 2-3 year contract with 2-3m base would work. I don't think he will get big bucks on the open market, especially when RB's like Ford, Murphy and Ivory racked up more YPC.   It's clear we need a new #1 RB.

Do we go after a FA like CJ Anderson, Tevin Coleman, Mark Ingram, David Johnson, TJ Yeldon or do we draft one in Rds 2-4?

WR?  Do we draft trade down and/or draft Metcalf, AJ or Marquis Brown, Nkeal Harry, or wait until the 2nd round to find a WR like UB's Johnson?

We all know the obvious need here.  IMO, we need to sign a FA (Lockett, Diggs, Tate, Cobb) and draft a WR in the first round. As a.homer you want to see us trade down pick up OL in RD1 and take Johnson in Rd2. There seem to be a lot of college WR's putting up big stats, so it will be interesting to see how this pans out. I don't want to make the Sammy mistake again, but if someone starts to jump off the page as a legit game-changing #1, I think we need to think seriously about it.   

The OL has been pretty bad at times and other times they seem to be serviceable. It's obvious we need upgrades, but how many and from where?  I'd be ok with taking the best Tackle off the board with our first pick. But if may be a case of BPA vs need when we are on the clock. With so many holes to fill, which one's are first?  I think Ducasse, Miller and Sirles are gone.  Groy, McDermitt, Boettger,  are on the bubble for depth depending on how we draft and how they improve, but my guess is goodbye.  That leaves us with Dawkins,  Bodine, Teller and Mills should stay. Ideally Bodine and Mills would be depth backups and we sign Matt Paradis -C, Daryl Williams- RT  Mason or Marpet - G 

TE? Can we sign a #1 TE?

Damn do we need a TE or what. Clay is done. Croom can't hold on to the ball and Thomas can't catch. I say we sign Jared Cook, Jesse James or Delaine Walker, then draft another TE in Rd's 3-4. I like Eifert but his health is a major concern. I'd take a flier for an incentive driven, low risk contract.

That about sums up my questions for the offense. Sadly, there's so much to do, I'm not sure how much attention we can give to the defense. 

this is fun, I'll give it a try.  Added DL to the mix as we clearly need help there.  Can't sack Broken Back Bradford, and then get gashed by the Pats:

Needs to work on touch in short-game, also needs WR's who do not routinely drop passes.  It's getting absurd.  Also, a young QB's best friends are a good TE and RB.  We have neither.  I hope Allen develops the touch, it does look like his decision making has vastly improved during the year. 

I'd try to trade Shady if we can get a 3rd-7th.  Completely clear the contract.  Bring in Coleman, or Ingram (Johnson likely too expensive).  Also draft one in Rds. 2-4. 

I think we pickup a WR in FA and the draft.  In FA I'd target Golden Tate, J. Brown (Ravens); P. Dorsett; Geronimo Allison, or Eli Rodgers. 

To me, this seems like a deep WR draft.  I'd go BPA in the first round.  That might mean DT, fine, we need help there.  It could be an ILB like Devin White from LSU.  Also okay, we can move Edmunds outside and hopefully generate more pass-rush.  I'd also take an OT if that's BPA.   I can't see WR being BPA.   I think one of the Browns (Oklahoma or Miss State) will be available early 2nd round.   I think Johnson might be available in the 3rd.   

Love the OL plan.  We def need a new center.  Paradis would be ideal, a great addition for a young QB.  Adding a RT also frees up room in the draft to take one in the 2nd or 3rd round if the BPA is a DL/LB in the 1st.  We need impact players everywhere, and it would be great to be able to use FA to plug the OL holes and draft BPA--not be reaching. 

TE? Can we sign a #1 TE?

I think we sign both Jesse James and Eifert.  I think we can afford both.  2 great TE's to help a young QB. 

DL:   not enough impactful plays from this bunch.  If the BPA in any round is an impactful DL, or even LB, then make the pick.  In fact, looking at draft boards, it's likely our first pick could be DL or LB. 

I think we can add to the defense in the draft.  I think we fill the OL during FA, bring in a WR, RB, and then add to those during the draft.  I think we will be in position to go BPA in the draft.  But fixing the offense and giving Allen a running game and people who can consistently catch a ball will be huge. 

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think Allen is farther along than many thought he would be, and that a full offseason to digest these lessons, learn from mistakes, and prepare the offense will be huge for him.

Diggs isn’t a free agent. There really aren’t any #1 WR on the FA market this year. I think a Cobb or Lockett could be a good edition, but we still need to get a real #1.

Lockett or J. Brown would be fantastic additions.  Guys with good hands and speed.  Pair with Foster, grab a "traditional" #1 in the draft. 

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this is fun, I'll give it a try.  Added DL to the mix as we clearly need help there.  Can't sack Broken Back Bradford, and then get gashed by the Pats:

Needs to work on touch in short-game, also needs WR's who do not routinely drop passes.  It's getting absurd.  Also, a young QB's best friends are a good TE and RB.  We have neither.  I hope Allen develops the touch, it does look like his decision making has vastly improved during the year. 

I'd try to trade Shady if we can get a 3rd-7th.  Completely clear the contract.  Bring in Coleman, or Ingram (Johnson likely too expensive).  Also draft one in Rds. 2-4. 

I think we pickup a WR in FA and the draft.  In FA I'd target Golden Tate, J. Brown (Ravens); P. Dorsett; Geronimo Allison, or Eli Rodgers. 

To me, this seems like a deep WR draft.  I'd go BPA in the first round.  That might mean DT, fine, we need help there.  It could be an ILB like Devin White from LSU.  Also okay, we can move Edmunds outside and hopefully generate more pass-rush.  I'd also take an OT if that's BPA.   I can't see WR being BPA.   I think one of the Browns (Oklahoma or Miss State) will be available early 2nd round.   I think Johnson might be available in the 3rd.   

Love the OL plan.  We def need a new center.  Paradis would be ideal, a great addition for a young QB.  Adding a RT also frees up room in the draft to take one in the 2nd or 3rd round if the BPA is a DL/LB in the 1st.  We need impact players everywhere, and it would be great to be able to use FA to plug the OL holes and draft BPA--not be reaching. 

TE? Can we sign a #1 TE?

I think we sign both Jesse James and Eifert.  I think we can afford both.  2 great TE's to help a young QB. 

DL:   not enough impactful plays from this bunch.  If the BPA in any round is an impactful DL, or even LB, then make the pick.  In fact, looking at draft boards, it's likely our first pick could be DL or LB. 

I think we can add to the defense in the draft.  I think we fill the OL during FA, bring in a WR, RB, and then add to those during the draft.  I think we will be in position to go BPA in the draft.  But fixing the offense and giving Allen a running game and people who can consistently catch a ball will be huge. 

Lockett or J. Brown would be fantastic additions.  Guys with good hands and speed.  Pair with Foster, grab a "traditional" #1 in the draft. 

Not that I would mind either of those guys, but I might rather a Cole Beasley type who can work the middle/first 10 yards. Let Foster be the deep guy and get someone who Allen can always trust to make a play. 

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I saw Diggs listed on a few FA sites. Are they wrong or maybe an RFA?

2 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

I saw Diggs listed on a few FA sites. Are they wrong or maybe an RFA?

He signed an extension  just before this season. Probably just not an updated list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000943201/article/vikings-wr-stefon-diggs-signs-fiveyear-extension%3FnetworkId%3D4595%26site%3D.news%26zone%3Dstory%26zoneUrl%3Durl%3Dstory%26zoneKeys%3Ds1%3Dstory%26env%3D%26pageKeyValues%3Dprtnr%3Daround-the-league%3Bteam%3Dmin%3Bconf%3Dnfc%3Bdvsn%3Dncn%3Bplyr%3Dstefon_diggs%26p.ct%3DAround%2Bthe%2BNFL%26p.adsm%3Dfalse%26p.tcm%3D%23fff%26p.bgc1m%3D%230964bf%26p.bgc2m%3D%23053a74%26sr%3Damp

He was high on my wish list as was Ali Marpet (Guard from Tampa) and now they’re both off the list. ?

Edited by whatdrought
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would set my sights on Desean Jackson for receiver. Tampa would probably drop him for pennies on the dollar. 

His speed even now is something I’d love to see and defenses would have to continually gameplan for. Between him and Foster josh should have plenty of chances to air things out and keep the defenses honest against the run game. And of course if shady sticks around they’re buddies. 

I would rather see buffalo trade for an established vet at receiver than sign some of the “up and comers” who haven’t quite produced much and might not once they get paid. Looking at you Tyrell Williams lol. 

I kid I kid. But I would like to see desean traded to here for like a 5th or 6th round pick. 

Pretty sure I read a resport not to long ago Tampa is wanting to move on from him

32 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Will Shady take a pay cut what freaken planet are you from? You actually want him on this team? Lol!!!!!

Sure, as a 3rd down RB, or as a #2 for 2-3m, why not?  With a better OL, some new WR and some better play calling to get him in space, he may have some use. As a #1 RB at 6m per, definitely NO.

Edited by BillsRdue

• 1st Ammendment NoMas changed the title to Questions we still have after this season? Offense Edition?