Report: Jets to pursue Jim Harbaugh for HC

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

I’m with you in this, I really don’t want him

It’s time for the bandwagon pats fans to feel the suffering that the rest of the division has felt forever

As a jets fan, whose on your short list for coach? 

Also, I think Harbaugh would be good for you guys, but the media there could be problematic. 

5 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

McCarthy would be my choice

I could see that. It would worry me a bit to have a coach who couldn’t consistently get it done with a HOF QB and good weapons. I guess that’s a question of team building and management moreso than coaching. Still a big question mark, I would think. 

Are you guys pretty sold on a Offensive minded coach? (Burns too fresh?) 

3 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Good HC’s have to hire the right coordinators 

This is a good point that seems forgotten often. I think you can hire a coach whose going to implement his own ideas (Ala McVey) or you can hire a coach who is great at developing people who bring their own ideas together which can then be brought together by the HC into cohesion (this seems more BB’s style). 

Also, while we’re talking coaching openings, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jack Del Rio given another shot somewhere. I think the Raiders screwed the pooch letting him go. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

Harbaugh is a funny (eccentric) guy in a lot of ways.  I know when he played for the Colts he had a beef with Kelly among other problems that reportedly he let it be known for Buffalo not to approach him.  He might still have a grudge against the Jets for the time Jeff Lageman (hypothetically) farted in his face at the bottom of a sack pile.  That aside Harbaugh is treated like a king in his college gig so that might be the most important thing in his mind versus dealing with a possibly fickle ownership and fanbase of a NFL team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Aren’t those the things that eventually turned into oil, letting Johnson and his daddy make the $ to chase after perceived coaching and player ‘unicorns’ like Harbaugh?  ?

I'd have to check but I don't think that there is any oil money with the Johnson's.  Just being the heirs to Johnson and Johnson health care products.  Jurrah, the Bowlen family, Bud Adams (when he was alive), and the Hunt's are petroleum (oil) families.  Our own Terry Pegula is natural gas.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, vorpma said:

OK, here we go, define a dinosaur - I'm sure it is anyone who does not subscribe to the "arena football" philosophy!! I would take either Harbaugh in a second!

Over what we have now, yes!  If McNeo The One is running the 4-3 line dropping back into pass protection then he gets a pass, because he’s not Rex.  No matter how much New England chewed up his vaunted “defensive genius” gimmick card.  Could just run a 4-6 and work to contain a running game you knew is coming.  That is not McDermott would never leave any variation of the 4-3 or even go 4-4 or even install any form of discipline.  

52 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I want the patriots to suck. 3-13 every year. Let’s cleanse that overstuffed bull#### bandwagon.

You and me both.  Kraft has had an awesome life because of 2 men.  Brady and Belichick and I can't stand that smug old man.  Hope Putin steals another of his rings.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'd have to check but I don't think that there is any oil money with the Johnson's.  Just being the heirs to Johnson and Johnson health care products.  Jurrah, the Bowlen family, Bud Adams (when he was alive), and the Hunt's are petroleum (oil) families.  Our own Terry Pegula is natural gas.

I was making the connection to Hess Oil, perhaps wrongly I’ve been equating the green and white of Hess with the green and white of the Jests.  Wouldn’t be the first time I would have laboured under a misconception for multiple years!  I was 14 before I found out Shemp actually WAS a stooge BEFORE Curly!

EDIT:  A quick Wikipedia search revealed that Hess family sold the team in 2000 or so.  Me, no Hesses, and ‘the drought’, all in a leaky rowboat!  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Fact checker for the New Yorker I ain’t!

31 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I could see that. It would worry me a bit to have a coach who couldn’t consistently get it done with a HOF QB and good weapons. I guess that’s a question of team building and management moreso than coaching. Still a big question mark, I would think. 

This is a good point that seems forgotten often. I think you can hire a coach whose going to implement his own ideas (Ala McVey) or you can hire a coach who is great at developing people who bring their own ideas together which can then be brought together by the HC into cohesion (this seems more BB’s style). 

Also, while we’re talking coaching openings, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jack Del Rio given another shot somewhere. I think the Raiders screwed the pooch letting him go. 

A cohesive, well orchestrated coaching staff is what seperates the good from the bad. It is all the little things that are done in preparation that will make a team successful. The Pats are the best in the business at that. I said in another thread about eye black- if Fosters wearing some maybe he comes down with that long ball. We just dont do the little things right.

Special Teams is the one place when you mess up your assignment it is amplified i.e not staying in your lane, poor tackling, over pursuit, and getting the snap down. Week in and week out ST’s are brutal - that speaks directly to Danny Crossman.

I think Daboll isnt doing a bad job- we all know what he has to work with and it starts with the worst O line ive seen in Bills history. Poor technique, guards that cant pull, abysmal pass protection, and hat on hat they blow no one off the ball. Miller, Mills, Teller, Ducasse, Groy, and the rest have no business starting. 

Edited by billsfan_34

12 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I was making the connection to Hess Oil, perhaps wrongly I’ve been equating the green and white of Hess with the green and white of the Jests.  Wouldn’t be the first time I would have laboured under a misconception for multiple years!  I was 14 before I found out Shemp actually WAS a stooge BEFORE Curly!

Years ago I had a Jets fan co-worker that would not buy gas at any other station besides a Hess station.  Fortunately, there was a Hess station just 2 miles away for him.

51 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Bates has been ok the past couple of weeks, but overall he has been sub par

1 hour ago, Estro said:

The team that will make a really good hire this offseason is going to be the Panthers.  David Tepper is going to be a very smart owner......and I think he'll be smart enough to jettison Rivera who's not a good coach, IMO.

With Tepper's analytical blbased approach I'd expect the Panthers to be one of those dominant franchises moving forward.  It's a shame too because any team can get smart and hire the right people, unfortunately in Buffalo we have owners who dont have a clue.  They literally hire people based on them living Jesus and being a wrestler which in their eyes makes that person "tough".

I have a different way of defining "tough".  To me it means thinking independently, embracing math, and giving your team a strategic advantage on the field by being ultra aggressive......something you will never see out of this franchise as it's currently constructed.

A bit off topic, but who is Tepper and why are you so bullish on him?

35 minutes ago, PIZ said:

You and me both.  Kraft has had an awesome life because of 2 men.  Brady and Belichick and I can't stand that smug old man.  Hope Putin steals another of his rings.

I can't stand Kraft but he's got 5 rings and has had 3 head coaches during his tenure and all are HOF'ers who had or went on to won SB rings as HC's in the NFL.

He's been a good owner to say the least.

The Bills have never even had a HC who won a SB elsewhere as a HC let alone here.

I hope his son has a miserable run taking over but the reality is that he has just as good of a shot of having a good run or a bad one............the years of success don't come with an automatic setback.........if they hire well they have the same chance as any team going forward.

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

OK, here we go, define a dinosaur - I'm sure it is anyone who does not subscribe to the "arena football" philosophy!! I would take either Harbaugh in a second!

Yeah, the whole ‘anyone who isn’t Sean McVay is a dinosaur’ thing is getting old very quickly.

Harbaugh would be a terrific hire for the Jets.