The future of Rush...

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Sad words to read.

All the more reason I am so grateful that I was able to take my son to see the R:40 tour.

Neil Peart has been through so much heartache, and endured so much loss, in his lifetime.  We're lucky to have been able to enjoy his, Alex's and Geddy's talents for as long as we have.  And that's the beauty of recorded music ... it will always be there for us to listen to.

• Like (+1) 1

My son and I went to see Rush a few years ago, and I'm glad we did. I love their earlier stuff, up to and including Moving Pictures, but I sort of lost touch with them after that. Unfortunately they played mostly stuff from the 2000s during their first set, of which I only recognized a few songs, but it was still good. I knew they were promoting a new album (Clockwork Angels), so I bought it in advance so I'd be familiar with it during the show. They played most of that album in the second set. The whole show was good, but the place erupted during the encore when they played the 2112 Overture. Afterwards, my son said, "The whole show was good, but the 2112 part by itself was worth the price of the ticket." When he was an early teen, my wife and I turned him on to 2112. He played the album several times a day for about a week after that. That's parenting done right, my friends.

We went to that show with two of my colleagues. One of them let me borrow a documentary about Rush. In one scene, Geddy and Alex were in a diner. Geddy still looks like he did in the 70s for the most part, but Alex looks like a middle-aged guy who works in a cubicle. The waitress went to the table and said, "Oh my god ... you're Geddy Lee!" Alex laughed and said, "Really? You're Geddy Lee?" She asked Geddy for his autograph, and while he was signing, he pointed at Alex and asked her if she wanted "that guy's" autograph. She said, "No. Just yours." They both got a good laugh out of that. Good thing Alex has a sense of humor.

They also talked about their early years when they were opening for Kiss. One night, Gene Simmons came to their room and invited them to a party. He walked in and saw Geddy and Alex watching the news, while Neil was reading a book. Ah, the rock star lifestyle.

• Like (+1) 2

Long live Rush!

They were my very first concert that I saw way back in junior high school.

Their music were a big part of my younger years. 

What a unique band stylistically, lyrically and musically.  When they were all going for it, the sound that those three guys produced was amazing.  There are some parts of songs that I've heard hundreds of times, that still send chills down my spine. 

(Also... who doesn't air-drum to Tom Sawyer?)

While I still play a lot of their old music, I kinda fell out of touch with them.  (like, back in the late 90's)

That said, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on what I should listen to if I wanted to start listening to their best "newer" stuff.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Long live Rush!

They were my very first concert that I saw way back in junior high school.

Their music were a big part of my younger years. 

What a unique band stylistically, lyrically and musically.  When they were all going for it, the sound that those four guys produced was amazing.  There are some parts of songs that I've heard hundreds of times, that still send chills down my spine. 

(Also... who doesn't air-drum to Tom Sawyer?)

While I still play a lot of their old music, I kinda fell out of touch with them.  (like, back in the late 90's)

That said, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on what I should listen to if I wanted to start listening to their best "newer" stuff.

Same here, they were my first concert too, at the Aud in 1976... still have the stub, admission was $6.00.

I'm the same as some, I don't really care about their later stuff. I bought a double CD called Chronicles a few weeks ago and disc 1 is great. Disc 2 not so much. I'm probably going to give it away.

My favorite Rush album is the double live "All the World's a Stage"... I wore that one out on cassette a couple of times in the car on the Pioneer Supertuner back then.

P.S. It is/was 3 guys, not 4 but I'm sure that was a typo.

First US tour concert they opened for Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann in Pittsburgh, that’s quite the lineup....

Peart has joined a few weeks earlier as the original drummer dropped off from health problems

7 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

"Neil has retired, and so the idea of seeing Neil, Alex, and myself on stage or on record together is not realistic. ...That part of our life, we've moved on from that now."

I'm not entirely surprised...but I thought I'd just read a few months ago they were trying to get a limited tour put together - 10 cities or so, enough to have fun without killing themselves.

On 12/24/2018 at 5:04 PM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

"Neil has retired, and so the idea of seeing Neil, Alex, and myself on stage or on record together is not realistic. ...That part of our life, we've moved on from that now."

Just watched all 17:41 of the video and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting!

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, T&C said:

Same here, they were my first concert too, at the Aud in 1976... still have the stub, admission was $6.00.

I'm the same as some, I don't really care about their later stuff. I bought a double CD called Chronicles a few weeks ago and disc 1 is great. Disc 2 not so much. I'm probably going to give it away.

My favorite Rush album is the double live "All the World's a Stage"... I wore that one out on cassette a couple of times in the car on the Pioneer Supertuner back then.

P.S. It is/was 3 guys, not 4 but I'm sure that was a typo.

"We'd like to play Side 1 of our latest album." :lol:

Yeah, I myself got off the train after Permanent Waves. Only saw them once in Indy on (I believe) the Motion Pictures tour, comp. tickets. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Rico said:

"We'd like to play Side 1 of our latest album." :lol:

Yeah, I myself got off the train after Permanent Waves. Only saw them once in Indy on (I believe) the Motion Pictures tour, comp. tickets. :thumbsup:

After Hemispheres I was kind of done with the new stuff. But for a lot of bands the Great stuff really ends imo... a wall is hit.

Genesis- Wind and Wuthering

Pink Floyd- Animals

Stones- Some Girls

Yes - Going for the One

Just a few but this is just my ears opinion... there are a lot of others.

I'd like to see the faces of people who heard the first Rush album for the first time... What is up with that voice lol.