Again in 5 minutes of a game I see catches no Bills have made this year

Billsfan1972

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mcdermott was making the picks.  Say was the guy his WR coach wanted. 

Beane brought in Boldin, Benjamin, and Corey Coleman.  Drafted rRayRay over Equanimious St Brown.  Their player e v a l. on O is suspect.

How much did it cost the Bill's to trade for Coleman?

What draft round selection was Ray Ray?

What did Boldin cost them?  And was Boldin truly expected to be a staple of this franchise?  

Since when are late round draft selections expected to be gamers?  Odds are very low.

The only player they misjudged on that truly cost them anything was Benjamin.  That was a whiff.  But last I recall all of Bill's nation including Pantger fans and NFL pundits thought that was a good move.  Clearly it wasn't.  I reject your premise

Edited by Magox

Watch the Chiefs/Seahawks highlights from yesterday if you really want to get disgusted with our receiving corps.

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018122314/2018/REG16/Chiefs@Seahawks?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2018122314

There were at least 5-6 receptions that I have yet to see one of our receivers make.

KB went 0-2, shocker.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The point is, I just got back and turned on the game.  This wasn't watching the whole game and picking out 5 random minutes.

All the negative Allen comments stupify me as case in point as ho hum a game Allen played yesterday (and yes 2 bad Ints), he was much better then Brady.  

I watch Brees, Willson, Rodgers, Rivers and all the top QB's in the league miss receivers and make bad passes, but every incompletion by Allen is analysed and pointed out.  

You are right. If the saints were to put Allen in. they wouldn’t skip a beat and march into the playoffs.  It doesn’t work that way.  He is a clueless overwhelmed kid right now 

Edited by nedboy7

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That is an extremely tough catch. Come on! It wasn't a bad throw because Thomas was blanketed,  and that's the only place you can put it (alert: I am not blaming Allen). But that's a pass that's usually not caught. Coverage is huge too in that sort of situation. Give some credit to the defender, who was in position to swat at it in the unlikely the event he made that very difficult catch. 

That was not an easy catch; however, it was not an extremely tough catch.He was squared up to the ball and had to go vertical, not stretching or diving in either direction. In the end, it went right through his hands. That is a catch that an NFL caliber receiver should make 80% of the time...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

How much did it cost the Bill's to trade for Coleman?

What draft round selection was Ray Ray?

What did Boldin cost them?  And was Boldin truly expected to be a staple of this franchise?  

Since when are late round draft selections expected to be gamers?  Odds are very low.

The only player they misjudged on that truly cost them anything was Benjamin.  That was a whiff.  But last I recall all of Bill's nation including Pantger fans and NFL pundits thought that was a good move.  Clearly it wasn't.  I reject your premise

I think you explained why they are responsible for this mess. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

That was not an easy catch; however, it was not an extremely tough catch.He was squared up to the ball and had to go vertical, not stretching or diving in either direction. In the end, it went right through his hands. That is a catch that an NFL caliber receiver should make 80% of the time...

It wasn't right through his hands; it was on his fingertips. Big difference. The high pass that Gronk missed and which ended up as a pick was a pass that went right through the hands,

19 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Zay is a Whaley hold over from his last draft class.  After year two it’s time to move on from Zay as for Foster give him another year for year two.  

You really think Whaley was calling the shots in that draft?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Thomas.thumb.JPG.4cc44fe6bd277f0722fabdcc244389f7.JPG

Look, that's in the realm of catchable, but it's in the fingertip region, he's leaping, the coverage is perfect, he's on the sideline, and the ball was thrown extremely hard. An elite receiver catches it 60 percent of the time, i think (although factor in Allen's velocity), and average receivers catch it less than half. The bottom line is that it's not an easy catch. And yes the Bills' receivers suck. I know that. But Allen has touch and accuracy issues at present that he needs to fix too. Again, though, i'm not saying that's a bad throw. Give the defender--who would have had a chance to swat it, a la leigh bodden, if he had hung on--some credit. He was in perfect position.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Look, that's in the realm of catchable, but it's in the fingertip region, he's leaping, the coverage is perfect, he's on the sideline, and the ball was thrown extremely hard. An elite receiver catches it 60 percent of the time, i think (although factor in Allen's velocity), and average receivers catch it less than half. The bottom line is that it's not an easy catch. And yes the Bills' receivers suck. I know that. But Allen has touch and accuracy issues at present that he needs to fix too.

If Logan Thomas' fingertips extend in the opposite direction of all other human beings and end at his palms, then, yes, it was off his fingertips. If not, it was a ball he should have come down with.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I know it is old and tired, but it is almost surreal.

I watched 3 minutes of the KC/Seattle game and watch A great TD reception by KC & then Lockett and Baldwin make 2 catches on the clinching drive that no Bills made all season.

All I ask is for the proverbial 50/50 ball to be caught, a leaping reception, a catch on what is not a perfect pass, an adjustment made and making that hard cut to the ball.

I am just beside myself.

Put Allen on KC and we'd be talking about an all time rookie season at QB. It's not just the receivers, it's also the ability to scheme offensively.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

If Logan Thomas' fingertips extend in the opposite direction of all other human beings and end at his palms, then, yes, it was off his fingertips. If not, it was a ball he should have come down with.

See my qualification above. Address the other difficulty and velocity issues. Those are real things that manifested on that play. 

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Part of the reason that it didn’t work with Benjamin (and Funchess has the same problem) is that teams have gone to bigger corners to counteract the big receivers. That “he’s open when he’s not” doesn’t really exist anymore. The big guys that succeed all have speed (sub 4.5). The ones that don’t can’t separate. The other receivers that succeed have elite speed. You need to make chunk plays. It’s too hard to consistently win needing 12 play drives IMO. The most explosive offenses are the best teams (and that list no longer includes the Pats). 

Fair

Chunk plays definitely need to be part of a successful offense. But I sorta disagree that the grind-it-out offense does not have a part in the success of a team. While passing game is the current and possible future, the team with a good run based offense has a better chance of winning. In situations where the opposition has had a long drive and our D needs a rest, we get the opposition on a quick 3 and out and need the opposing QB to sit and stew for while, sealing a game.... Having the benefit of a extended drive aided by running and short/medium passing game can help a team gain/keep momentum and frustrate the opposition. As always, a balanced team has a better chance but I do agree that all (other) things being equal, the one with big play potential will likely win. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I know it is old and tired, but it is almost surreal.

I watched 3 minutes of the KC/Seattle game and watch A great TD reception by KC & then Lockett and Baldwin make 2 catches on the clinching drive that no Bills made all season.

All I ask is for the proverbial 50/50 ball to be caught, a leaping reception, a catch on what is not a perfect pass, an adjustment made and making that hard cut to the ball.

I am just beside myself.

It is old and tired, you're like a pit bull on a soup bone. Doesn't make you wrong.

It wasn't just KC/Seattle, I saw a number of great catches in Steelers/Saints too.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I think you explained why they are responsible for this mess. 

Most rational fans and observers understand that Rome wasnt built in a day.  Beane has had one off season and draft to improve the team and he inherited one of the worst salary cap strapped organizations in the league and now we are one of the best positioned ones.

This is the year with 10 draft choices and what will most likely be 100 million in cap space to address the offense.  If this team doesnt look legit by the end of next year then I will agree with you until then any other opinion on the matter I consider to be tremendously uninformed 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Part of the reason that it didn’t work with Benjamin (and Funchess has the same problem) is that teams have gone to bigger corners to counteract the big receivers. That “he’s open when he’s not” doesn’t really exist anymore. The big guys that succeed all have speed (sub 4.5). The ones that don’t can’t separate. The other receivers that succeed have elite speed. You need to make chunk plays. It’s too hard to consistently win needing 12 play drives IMO. The most explosive offenses are the best teams (and that list no longer includes the Pats). 

Fair

Great post. Speed is so important. We need more of it.