Again in 5 minutes of a game I see catches no Bills have made this year

Billsfan1972

Josh played good and was he only reason why we were in it.  Defensively we stifled their passing game.  Trouble is, is that McDermott is pretty much an inferior product as a Coach.  When compared to Belicheck, Tomlin, Carrol, Reid, Lynn, and Reich.  Harbaugh even showed how it’s done in flipping a teams Quarterback situation.  It’s not just woeful ineptitude it’s the fact that he’s lost his fire and his confidence from last year.  Process receivers are small and fast but cannot catch.  And, McDermott is so completely stubborn as with Peterman that he’ll put and keep these guys out there until he’s out of a job and you cannot blame Josh for McDermott’s wounded pride.  Should have not signed Murphy and Star who are prettt much off the depth charts into rotational roles only and saved thirty million into next year or the offensive line.  Could have played a 4-6 or 4-4 against the run but McDermott is OCD that it has to be 4-3 or it’s a no go.  I have Aspergers with all the ticks I’m starting to wonder if Sean does as well.  

8 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Josh played good and was he only reason why we were in it.  Defensively we stifled their passing game.  Trouble is, is that McDermott is pretty much an inferior product as a Coach.  When compared to Belicheck, Tomlin, Carrol, Reid, Lynn, and Reich.  Harbaugh even showed how it’s done in flipping a teams Quarterback situation.  It’s not just woeful ineptitude it’s the fact that he’s lost his fire and his confidence from last year.  Process receivers are small and fast but cannot catch.  And, McDermott is so completely stubborn as with Peterman that he’ll put and keep these guys out there until he’s out of a job and you cannot blame Josh for McDermott’s wounded pride.  Should have not signed Murphy and Star who are prettt much off the depth charts into rotational roles only and saved thirty million into next year or the offensive line.  Could have played a 4-6 or 4-4 against the run but McDermott is OCD that it has to be 4-3 or it’s a no go.  I have Aspergers with all the ticks I’m starting to wonder if Sean does as well.  

How do you know what “process” receivers are? We have barely invested anything on Offense, outside of getting our QB, since McBeane got here (on purpose).  

Also, these receivers aren’t even small.  Foster and Zay are both 6’2.  McKenzie is small but was a mid season pickup who will be a 4/5 WR next year if we bring him back.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I always look at other team’s receivers and it strikes me that they are bigger, stronger, and play with a meaner and more aggressive attitude compared to Bills receivers. 

Fast receivers that stretch the field are nice, but the modern game is currently focused on tight ends and possession receivers, which is what the Bills lack.

I totally disagree with this piece. It takes speed to open up the rest of the field. The Bills offense is the perfect example of that. Before inserting McKenzie and Foster they were trending towards the worst offense in history. TE play has declined in recent years. Ertz, Kittle and Kelce are good but the position is in a much worse place than 5 years ago. The only big possession guys making a difference now are Julio, Evans and Thomas. Julio runs a 4.39 and Evans a 4.43. They are speed guys. The other top receivers in football are Brown, Smith-Schuster, Diggs, Adams (maybe an exception but has Rodgers), Thielen, Hill, Green, Hopkins, Hilton, Cooks and Beckham. They are ALL speed guys. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I totally disagree with this piece. It takes speed to open up the rest of the field. The Bills offense is the perfect t example of that. Before inserting McKenzie and Foster they were trending towards the worst offense in history. TE play has declined in recent years. Ertz and Kelce are good but the position is in a much worse place than 5 years ago. The only big possession guys making a difference now are Julio and Thomas. Julio runs a 4.39. He’s a speed guy. The other top receivers in football are Brown, Smith-Schuster, Diggs, Adams (maybe an exception but has Rodgers), Thielen, Hill, Green, Hopkins and Beckham. They are ALL speed guys. 

I love the Chargers offense and think that would be a great offense for Allen.  

Phillp Rivers also likes to go vertical with guys like Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Tyrell Williams and Travis Benjamin.   

Get Josh WR’s like that and this dude will explode onto the scene next year. 

We could easily have something similar in say.. (Draft Pick), Tyrell Williams, Robert Foster, Zay Jones and Isaiah McKenzie. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

How do you know what “process” receivers are? 

Also, these receivers aren’t even small.  Foster and Zay are both 6’2.  

Great so Zay and Foster play fast, don’t have hands, and don’t use their body frames to get better separation.  Which means that unlike Kelvin Benjamin they won’t eat themselves out of the league they will just be cap eaters and non-factors.  Thinking we need an offensive quality assessment Coach to find better ROI for receivers and tight ends.  

30 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We get it. 

The recievers and overall offensive talent is putrid. 

The offense is putrid and has been putrid in the past.  Nothing new there.  

What is so discouraging, this year and for the future, is that so many key players on so many playoff teams are former Bills who were sent packing by the current regime or were available for the current regime to draft and the Bills passed on them for lesser players.  I'm not going to list them all but one of them is a leading candidate for league MVP.  Moreover, the team is so talent deprived and lacking in the ability to evaluate talent, most especially on offense, that they simply aren't going to be able to acquire enough good talent to compete with the best of the NFL in the foreseeable future despite having a pretty good looking QB prospect in Josh Allen.

Just now, Thriftygamer83 said:

Great so Zay and Foster play fast, don’t have hands, and don’t use their body frames to get better separation.  Which means that unlike Kelvin Benjamin they won’t eat themselves out of the league they will just be cap eaters and non-factors.  Thinking we need an offensive quality assessment Coach to find better ROI for receivers and tight ends.  

Well, you said they’re small...I’m just saying they’re not.  

Also, feel free to criticize next year if we have the same issues.   As of now, they’ve willingly neglected offense to gear up for this offseason to build around Allen.  

The 2019 offseason is massive for this organization.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I love the Chargers offense and think that would be a great offense for Allen.  

Phillp Rivers also likes to go vertical with guys like Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Tyrell Williams and Travis Benjamin.   

Get Josh WR’s like that and this dude will explode onto the scene next year. 

We could easily have something similar in say.. (Draft Pick), Tyrell Williams, Robert Foster, Zay Jones and Isaiah McKenzie. 

Sad part is, is that Zay was supposed to be that guy.  He isn’t in any way, shape, and or form fitting what should be a dominant body size and he isn’t even a clutch receiver.  More or less Zay and Foster could be special teamers.  Big body size, no hands, and always being given how Josh is “inaccurate” when they are to lazy to elevate their own performances.  

50 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That’s the thing though... was Josh really “bad”

yesterday?   I think he was off, but I don’t know about bad. 

When you look back, you realize that if he had even average receiving talent around him, he probably has another 100-150 yards passing and 2 TD’s.   

Thats also while asking him to overcome average at best pass pro and zero run blocking from his OL with WR’s that were constantly owned by the Pats physical press coverage.  

For a rookie QB he wasn't bad.

He made a few mistakes and hesitated in the pocket a couple times, aside from that he was pretty good.

Definitely not his best game and nothing to rave home about but if his pass receivers make a few plays then we could easily have seen a near 300 yard and 3 td pass performance.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Thriftygamer83 said:

Sad part is, is that Zay was supposed to be that guy.  He isn’t in any way, shape, and or form fitting what should be a dominant body size and he isn’t even a clutch receiver.  More or less Zay and Foster could be special teamers.  Big body size, no hands, and always being given how Josh is “inaccurate” when they are to lazy to elevate their own performances.  

I think Foster has a serious role on this team.  Get some more weapons and the opposing defense’s #2/3 corner on him and he’s a problem.  

Zay, I agree, he has a spot on the team next year but I’d prefer it’s in a #4 WR/prove-it role. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, SCBills said:

Well, you said they’re small...I’m just saying they’re not.  

Also, feel free to criticize next year if we have the same issues.   As of now, they’ve willingly neglected offense to gear up for this offseason to build around Allen.  

The 2019 offseason is massive for this organization.  

Signing Star and Murphy to eat up thirty million was a massive mistake now.  When like you said we needed offense.  Including the offensive line and with Star and Murphy getting pushed into rotational roles and taking up that roster space wow McDermott isn’t exactly looking prized for his assessments and evaluations.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Signing Star and Murphy to eat up thirty million was a massive mistake now.  When like you said we needed offense.  Including the offensive line and with Star and Murphy getting pushed into rotational roles and taking up that roster space wow McDermott isn’t exactly looking prized for his assessments and evaluations.  

Star is overpaid but decent.  

Murphy is wildly meh.  I think I read somewhere that we have an easy out on his contract without much dead cap?...  not sure if anyone can verify but I really hope that’s the case. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I totally disagree with this piece. It takes speed to open up the rest of the field. The Bills offense is the perfect example of that. Before inserting McKenzie and Foster they were trending towards the worst offense in history. TE play has declined in recent years. Ertz, Kittle and Kelce are good but the position is in a much worse place than 5 years ago. The only big possession guys making a difference now are Julio, Evans and Thomas. Julio runs a 4.39 and Evans a 4.43. They are speed guys. The other top receivers in football are Brown, Smith-Schuster, Diggs, Adams (maybe an exception but has Rodgers), Thielen, Hill, Green, Hopkins, Hilton, Cooks and Beckham. They are ALL speed guys. 

I see a lot of speed and big play guys, but I also see a lot of check downs to tight ends and running backs. The Patriots routinely destroy opponents with short passes.  The Bills don’t seem to have check down options that are reliable. It may also be caused by Josh Allen throwing check down passes too hard to be caught. Is that a Josh Allen problem, or a receiver problem?

Kenny Golladay won a ton of 50/50 balls when Detroit played the Bills. It’s that kind of big receiver that the Bills need.  Benjamin was supposed to be that guy, but it didn’t work out. 

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Hopkins is more of a possession guy actually.  He wins with technique, route running, and the strongest hands maybe ever.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

That’s the thing though... was Josh really “bad”

yesterday?   I think he was off, but I don’t know about bad. 

When you look back, you realize that if he had even average receiving talent around him, he probably has another 100-150 yards passing and 2 TD’s.   

Thats also while asking him to overcome average at best pass pro and zero run blocking from his OL with WR’s that were constantly owned by the Pats physical press coverage.  

This is my take to. 

To be clear Allen was not good yesterday but IMO he wasn't bad either.  It seemed like a classic rookie QB game in which on one series the QB looks like crap then on the next series he looks like an all pro.  The problem was that on those series where Allen was "hot" his receivers were terrible.  Taking into account the passes that should have been caught and would have been caught on MOST NFL teams Allen should have ended up throwing 2 - 3 TD's; 2 INT's and close to 300 yards passing. Then we would all be in agreement that he had an up & down day but the positives slightly outweighed the negatives. 

26 minutes ago, Magox said:

For a rookie QB he wasn't bad.

He made a few mistakes and hesitated in the pocket a couple times, aside from that he was pretty good.

Definitely not his best game and nothing to rave home about but if his pass receivers make a few plays then we could easily have seen a near 300 yard and 3 td pass performance.

Allen is still learning and has much to improve on, and yesterday wasn't a great day for him. However,  he did make some good throws that could have made a difference in the game:

11:08 1st Qtr: 11 yard pass to Mckenzie on 3rd and 5. On target and dropped. Ended the drive.

6:41   1st Qtr: 47 yard pass to Foster. On target and room to run to the endzone. Lost in the sun (are you f'n kidding me?)

12:32 2nd Qtr: 4 yard pass to McKenzie on 3rd and 3. McKenzie couldn't even get a half a yard of separation on this route. On target, right in his hands. No catch, drive ended.

10:21 2nd Qtr: 23 yard pass to Thomas. On target. No catch at the goal line.

6:57 3rd Qtr: Flare pass to Ford at the LOS with room to run. On target. No catch

I chose those 5 passes because every single one of them was on target and completely catchable by even the lowest NFL satandards. Those drops were the difference between two drives ending or continuing, 1 TD in the game or 2 (maybe 3) TDS, 217 yds passing or 300 + yds passing, and a 49% completion percentage or a 61% completion percentage.

This is not to make excuses for Allen. Heaven knows he made some poor decisions and poor throws. However, it just feels like he gets far less help (or even luck) than he should when he does make good decisions and does make good throws.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

What in your view made that a hard catch?

For the Bills I would term a hard catch as- "one that hits them in the hands or chest."  A great catch would be anything that the WR's alligator arms have to stretch more than a foot off their body. And the impossible catch involves "leaving one's feet in an attempt to catch the damn ball." 

• Like (+1) 1