the Edelman TD

Hellcamino

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Like it or not the play's over when you actually get tackled to the ground, have forward progress stopped, or go out of bounds. Why not just make it touch or flag football?

And there we go. The old “make the QB wear a dress” comment. Kind of the Godwin’s Rule of all football chat. 

But consider this - we’ve seen it before. The Edelman ball carrier (sometimes a QB on a sneak) is “stopped” just before the goal line. But he lands on a pile of lineman, so the whistle doesn’t blow. He then extends the ball over the mythical plane. “Touchdown!” signaled. Is that a manly result?

14 hours ago, Hellcamino said:

I hate this rule! 

If a runner gets wrapped up, stopped completely and then taken completely off his feet and pulled to the ground, it should not matter that he was laying on a body instead of the grass.  The tackler, then thinking the play is over, releases runner and he's now allowed to get back on to his feet and start running again?

At the VERY least it should be ruled forward progress.

No way, chumps need to learn how to finish a play.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And there we go. The old “make the QB wear a dress” comment. Kind of the Godwin’s Rule of all football chat. 

But consider this - we’ve seen it before. The Edelman ball carrier (sometimes a QB on a sneak) is “stopped” just before the goal line. But he lands on a pile of lineman, so the whistle doesn’t blow. He then extends the ball over the mythical plane. “Touchdown!” signaled. Is that a manly result?

You want fundamental rules of football changed for what?  No good reason.  You're throwing in buzz phrases for effect.  Not very good effect, but nice try. :lol: Play to the whistle and know the rules. Pretty simple without all of the machinations and whining. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You want fundamental rules of football changed for what?  No good reason.  You're throwing in buzz phrases for effect.  Not very good effect, but nice try. :lol: Play to the whistle and know the rules. Pretty simple without all of the machinations and whining. 

Since when is suggesting that a rule could be tweaked “whining?” We’re all those fans who were frustrated with the catch rule a year ago by definition whiners? Now that that rule has been changed, is no further debate allowed because the almighty NFL Rules Committee hath spoken? We’re not saying anything here other than the current “down by contact” rule seems to have unintended consequences in a few limited situations, and that the game might be better if it were tweaked. Unless of course you find players standing around while an Edelman gets up and jogs into the end zone a thrilling play. 

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Since when is suggesting that a rule could be tweaked “whining?” We’re all those fans who were frustrated with the catch rule a year ago by definition whiners? Now that that rule has been changed, is no further debate allowed because the almighty NFL Rules Committee hath spoken? We’re not saying anything here other than the current “down by contact” rule seems to have unintended consequences in a few limited situations, and that the game might be better if it were tweaked. Unless of course you find players standing around while an Edelman gets up and jogs into the end zone a thrilling play. 

It's a heads up play by Edelman who realized he wasn't down and the whistle wasn't blown. I wish Bills' players had that kind of situational awareness.  The rule is fine as is. 

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a heads up play by Edelman who realized he wasn't down and the whistle wasn't blown. I wish Bills' players had that kind of situational awareness.  The rule is fine as is. 

Happens too fast for the D to realize his butt of knee or wrists or hands didn’t touch the field

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

No, it's a stupid question.  Obviously, the rule is part of the objective standard over what it means to be "down".  If no part of the body other than hands and feet touch the ground a guy is not down.

It amazing to me how people here b---h about the officiating yet want to make every damn rule in the book even MORE subjective.  :wallbash:

Unless forward progress is stopped....

the complaint is about how subjective the existing forward progress rule is. I’m not sure how it’s written, but you can see clear discrepancies on how it’s called.

it’s a completely valid point of debate 

Edited by Shortchaz

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's just it. Edeleman was not down by contact since no part of his body touched the ground and his forward progress certainly wasn't stopped.  No down by contact and no whistle means the play isn't over. Another rule that's perfectly fine just the way it is. 

His forward progress certainly wasn’t stopped?   Ha! Explain to me just how he was moving forward?  Hands and feet off the ground and sitting on his butt on a players9588518B-99A3-4296-B21B-2908F3612799.jpeg.0b6927382bdab62cad67862d36b8ea4f.jpeg leg. Defies laws of phyisics. 

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

No, it's a stupid question.  Obviously, the rule is part of the objective standard over what it means to be "down".  If no part of the body other than hands and feet touch the ground a guy is not down.

It amazing to me how people here b---h about the officiating yet want to make every damn rule in the book even MORE subjective.  :wallbash:

So by these standards, any foreign object on the ground that keeps a player from touching, like somebodys leg, means they are not down? What if a player loses his towel and edelman lands on that instead. He still hasn’t touched the turf. He can get up and start running again? Sorry, not buying that this rule perfectly fine.  

17 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I disagree.   The rule is fine.   Don't let go of the guy until the whistle blows.

To be fair his forward progress us atopped. Them the runner gets up and continues. By rule should be ruled having forward progress stopped. 

And I definitely hate it because if Edmunds came in late to finish the tackle ref would have flagged him for a late hit... Even if he didn't touch cause that's the nature of the rules. Ref would have had no idea he wasn't down unless Edelman got up and ran

18 hours ago, Hellcamino said:

I hate this rule! 

If a runner gets wrapped up, stopped completely and then taken completely off his feet and pulled to the ground, it should not matter that he was laying on a body instead of the grass.  The tackler, then thinking the play is over, releases runner and he's now allowed to get back on to his feet and start running again?

At the VERY least it should be ruled forward progress.

Therein lies the problem, he was NOT pulled to the ground. Hold onto the guy until the whistle blows. 

At Detroit the officials missed a Texan clearly downed to everyone but them, he got up and ran 75 yards to the end zone.

Schwartz threw the challenge flag and a recent rule meant that they couldn’t review the play so the TD was allowed.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

In defense of the OP - I don’t think anyone doesn’t understand the rule. It’s more “why is this the rule?” And it’s a good question. Should another Bills player have jumped on top of Edelman with sufficient force to dislodge part of his body that was being supported by a teammate? Wouldn’t that be a penalty? Isn’t that a player safety issue? The fact that a player - otherwise down by contact - lands on another player doesn’t seem a good or smart reason for not having the whistle blow by rule. In other words, it’s the rule, but it also strikes me as a bad rule regardless of which team it helps or hurts. 

As everyone has pointed out, what it means to be “down” isn’t arguable.  The OP , and obviously he’s not alone, doesn’t understand that.

You down the guy or you play to the whistle.  Those two maxims are as old as the game. 

It’s a bogus complaint all around

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

As everyone has pointed out, what it means to be “down” isn’t arguable.  The OP , and obviously he’s not alone, doesn’t understand that.

You down the guy or you play to the whistle.  Those two maxims are as old as the game. 

It’s a bogus complaint all around

It kinda is arguable. Was Foster down on the ground? Nope. But since his forward progress was stopped, he was ruled down. 

Nobody yet has explained how Edelman sitting on his ass with his feet up in the air Should not be considered forward progress stopped. There is no way on earth for him to be moving forward with only his butt sitting on a leg.  Maybe he had some bad mexican food for lunch and had extreme gas that was propelling him?  Defending the Refs and their against all laws of physics interpretation of what forward motion means is the only bogus thing here. 

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If Foster had not been ruled stoppped (forward progress) and a fumble was forced there would have been a riot here on TSW with complaining that his forward progress was stopped.  :lol:

Thats probably true. Matter of fact that exact thing happened vs the Ravens a few years back in an important game for the Bills in overtime. Runner was picked up off the ground completely by several Ravens. Held him up off his feet completely stopped while other Ravens came over and ripped the ball free. Thats the issue though. People did complain that it was not blown dead when it should have been and allowed them to do something after the play should have been stopped. That is exactly what happened on the Edelman play. 

Forward progress completely stopped. No whistle.  If you can’t understand this I don’t know what to tell you. 

Edited by Hellcamino

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I guess feel free to share one of those 

I did. You copied it right there in your post. I challenge you to sit on sombodys leg. Put both hands up around your chest. Pick up both feet off the ground and put your knees up higher than your butt. Now move forward.  Unless you are a student at Hogwarts, it aint happening. 

Edited by Hellcamino

21 hours ago, Jasovon said:

this only happens to poorly coached teams. You play to the whistle, can't let him go, lie on top of him until the play is blown dead

I knew it was mcd fault

19 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It happened to New England in 2006. Jerricho Cotchery of the Jets got up from an apparent tackle and ran 70 yards untouched 

If only New England had a good coach