the Edelman TD

Hellcamino

I hate this rule! 

If a runner gets wrapped up, stopped completely and then taken completely off his feet and pulled to the ground, it should not matter that he was laying on a body instead of the grass.  The tackler, then thinking the play is over, releases runner and he's now allowed to get back on to his feet and start running again?

At the VERY least it should be ruled forward progress.

6 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Somehow I get this feeling that if a Bills player did this, Shady/Zay/Foster/whomever, board members here would be singing their praises and saying what a heads up play that was. A Patriots player does this and people cry foul!!

“People “ didn’t. This “person “ did.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I disagree.   The rule is fine.   Don't let go of the guy until the whistle blows.

I agree in some instances where runners make similar plays avoiding the turf, usually around the goal line on inside run plays.  they might use another players body to help keep from touching but the are always moving forward and will have at least one foot on the ground to push themselves forward.

This one today was different in my eyes. Open field tackle where dude is wrapped up, swung around and planted right on his butt.  Forward progress completely stopped. Just because his butt landed on the leg of a player already covering the ground means his forward progress was not stopped?  

A short time after that play was the nice throw to Foster that took into NE territory.  he was upright on both feet still driving into the defender but the second he stopped moving forward, they blew the whistle for forward progress. Even though it looked like he might of been able to get more. 

So, his forward progress was considered stopped. While Edelman, completely off his feet and just sitting on a players leg, forward progress was not considered stopped?  

49 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

this only happens to poorly coached teams. You play to the whistle, can't let him go, lie on top of him until the play is blown dead

ok, I guess then I'm mad at McD for my not liking whats considered stopping forward progress?

30 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Somehow I get this feeling that if a Bills player did this, Shady/Zay/Foster/whomever, board members here would be singing their praises and saying what a heads up play that was. A Patriots player does this and people cry foul!!

I'm not hating on Edelman for this, or crying foul.  I was simply stating I don't like the rule. too inconsistent. Foster was not required to touch the turf to be ruled down, why was Edelman?

The Refs disagree. We’ve all seen other plays like this. There’s a chance that the ball carrier can pop up and continue on. In Foster’s case they ruled an upright player’s forward progress stopped and one of them blew the whistle primarily to avoid one of the players from getting injured. 

Football is played with a ball that has two pointy ends. It bounces funny. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Wrong

I would say "Wow, we got lucky there, one of these ridiculously interpreted rules that I dislike finally worked in our favor!"

Of course we all know that will probably never happen though.

4 minutes ago, Nanker said:

The Refs disagree. We’ve all seen other plays like this. There’s a chance that the ball carrier can pop up and continue on. In Foster’s case they ruled an upright player’s forward progress stopped and one of them blew the whistle primarily to avoid one of the players from getting injured. 

Football is played with a ball that has two pointy ends. It bounces funny. 

Ha,  The Refs and I disagree on a lot of stuff!

Like Hughes getting tackled from behind again today on more than one occasion with no call, but I guess if the Refs say that's not holding, it must not be.

7 minutes ago, Hellcamino said:

Ha,  The Refs and I disagree on a lot of stuff!

Like Hughes getting tackled from behind again today on more than one occasion with no call, but I guess if the Refs say that's not holding, it must not be.

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, Jasovon said:

this only happens to poorly coached teams. You play to the whistle, can't let him go, lie on top of him until the play is blown dead

It happened to New England in 2006. Jerricho Cotchery of the Jets got up from an apparent tackle and ran 70 yards untouched