Reading Between the Lines of Sean McDermott’s Press Conference

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know about dreadful, but I've watched him all year and he hasn't shown me that he's tough enough to play the middle.  He's always standing around the pile, helping up the guy who made the tackle.   That's not the attitude you want with your middle linebacker.  

Hes a kid still.  Lets see what happens next year.  He has had some misQs but he has also flashed why he was drafted where he was.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Ok he's shown flashes but has mostly been bad.

Hows that? 

Here I was thinking he has more sacks than Vander esch, more passes defensed than any other Rookie LB, is 4th in tackles among rookies, only one RKY LB with more forced fumbles.

He has more TFLs and QB hits than Vander Esch as well. 

But somehow according to some he has played bad even for Rookie stamdards.  Even though he was also rated as a top 12 defensive Rookie.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

McD said this year in an interview that he has little patience. What you see in public is not necessarily his persona behind the scenes.  Probably why he gets rid of punters so easily and why I’m sure half this offense will be jettisoned after the season. 

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

So basically, this is complete speculation on your behalf? Gotcha. Thanks for your insight

Its a post on a board by a fan, why do you have to be so snide?

It’s what men who watch football do, post their thoughts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Its a post on a board by a fan, why do you have to be so snide?

It’s what men who watch football do, post their thoughts.

Give it a rest. It wasn't snide. And if you feel it was, by any means, all apologies

Edited by BuffAlone

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

So basically, this is complete speculation on your behalf? Gotcha. Thanks for your insight

It's called inference. It's a thing.

Well, for some of us it is.

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Looks like a rookie that is relying on supreme physical talent

He should use that physical talent to hit someone once in a while. I haven't seen him bury a player yet.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Allen and Edmunds were drafted because of their physical traits and potential.  If Edmunds figures it out, he will be a league leading freak for years with his size and speed.  Allen is in the same situation.  Not polished coming out of college, but will be a baller if he develops with his physical attributes. 

Beane didn't draft Allen and Edmunds to win this year, he drafted them to win next year.  Hopefully Beane is proven right. 

We all knew this was going to be a bad year for the Bills.  I don't understand the despair on this message board when the Bills look bad during what is clearly a rebuilding year.  We have no O-line, our rookie draft picks are playing like rookies,  and we have no wide receivers, but dammit! we should walk into Foxborough and win right now...

We have someone who has a real chance to be our franchise QB, we are out of salary cap hell, and we have a full contingent of draft picks.  Contrast that to where we were at the end of last season.  Take a breath people.

People are pissed because the product on the field was a joke and nothing about today pointed to an optimistic future.   If anything it showed there are going to be more holes next year on this team, on offense and defense, than previously anticipated.    Absolutely nothing to be optimistic about today except the bump up in draft position.   

This team is a long way from being good.   And, this Bills front office has to get an awful lot right this offseason for this team to be a playoff team next year.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

People are pissed because the product on the field was a joke and nothing about today pointed to an optimistic future.   If anything it showed there are going to be more holes next year on this team, on offense and defense, than previously anticipated.    Absolutely nothing to be optimistic about today except the bump up in draft position.   

This team is a long way from being good.   And, this Bills front office has to get an awful lot right this offseason for this team to be a playoff team next year.

You may be right, time will tell.  I read a lot here and don't post often.  Seems that this board is full of unbridled optimism when we win, and ready to eat rat poison after a loss.  As always, I think the truth is in the middle. 

We have said for a long time that the Bills will go nowhere without a franchise QB.  Allen didn't play well today but I think he has the best shot at being the franchise QB we've needed since Kelly retired.  We have the cheapest payroll in the league right now because of all the dead money we ate this year and it shows.  I think we missed Milano a lot today.  Our defense is not the dumpster fire that many are making it out to be.  There are pieces there to build with.  A solid secondary and some good young linebackers.

The offense....   well, that's a different story.  We need help all over the place and hopefully we will have the resources to do something about it, but it will likely take more than just one year to make this team a contender. We are rebuilding, we all knew this year was going to suck.

This is year one of the Beane Era.  Let me repeat that, YEAR ONE.  Give the man a chance.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

Edmunds is dreadful. There's no other way to put it. Guy is not built to play MLB in the NFL.

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is that what he's doing when he just stands there as the play goes by him? 

Guy is a total pile diver...when he's even motivated to get physical. Overdrafted. 

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I've been thinking the same thing. Edmonds might be a better OLB. Unless he bulks up and toughens up, he's not a Luke Kuekly. Vander Esch looks much better at this stage. 

The answer is probably because of what the FO told us and draft capital used to grab him. It’s a lot to give up for a 4-3 OLB.

That said. If it’s his best fit it’s his best fit at this point. The switch also may stunt his development at both positions for a time period. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea.

I'm not sure why fans have such an issue with this.

He looks lost at MLB. Give him a chance at OLB/3rd down pass rushing end and see if he can thrive there. 

He is rangy and fast enough to play OLB, worth a shot...with his length and obvious speed he could perhaps be a decent edge rusher 

My issues with him this year playing the middle has been his inability to attack the right gaps in run support and the poor arm tackles. Seems much more comfortable playing in space defending the check-down passes (which he does well) than shedding blockers and getting a bit dirty at the LOS. Tends to play a bit too much on his heels, waiting for runs to come to him. Other times he just seems lost when it come to recognizing his "fits" against the run, so when he does attack the LOS, it is like he randomly picks a gap and it isn't anywhere near where he needs to be to make the play. Some of his struggles are due to a hesitation or lack of aggressiveness needed at the Mike position.

A lot of teams were high on this kid so it is too early to be saying bust, but teams are going to continue to attack him and this line with runs till he can step up that area of his game that requires him to attack the LOS -  it isn't even close to where it needs to be.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

McD said this year in an interview that he has little patience. What you see in public is not necessarily his persona behind the scenes.  Probably why he gets rid of punters so easily and why I’m sure half this offense will be jettisoned after the season. 

Will they cut Darr and return to Schmidt for 1 game?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Anyone calling Edmunds (a 20 year old) a bust needs to get their head checked 

People are just angry and are always more harsh after a loss. It's easy to say someone is a bust. If it wasnt Edmunds it would be someone else.