THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Can't Beat the Pats Yet

Shaw66

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I'd change the rule so smith schauster was down.   Both calls were right - I just don't like the rule, in part because the tackler, like the Bills today, don't have any way to know if the ball carrier is down and if they can continue the play they run the risk, in today's game, of getting called for unnecessary roughness if he IS down.  

Whatever.   

Play to the whistle. Hopefully a good lesson learned in a lost season, rather than with playoffs on the line.

16 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Play to the whistle. Hopefully a good lesson learned in a lost season, rather than with playoffs on the line.

Players get whistled for strange roughness calls before the whistle blows, on a regular basis. Its easy to imagine a player getting whistled for smashing into a guy laying on another guy.  Shaw66 is right about the need to change this rule.  

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Players get whistled for strange roughness calls before the whistle blows, on a regular basis. Its easy to imagine a player getting whistled for smashing into a guy laying on another guy.  Shaw66 is right about the need to change this rule.  

All they had to do was hold on to him until the whistle though. Not smash him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Yes.  Yet another review reminding us that its not about winning this year and the rest of the world doesn't see what a stud Allen is. 

Well, you're right.  I've been saying the season is over for a few weeks.  But like most of what I write, it's true.  The season is over, and McDermott has been coaching that way for at least a couple of weeks.  

As for Allen, I think he's going to be great.  I've been saying it for a while now.  Are you arguing with that conclusion?  

I suppose I could be reviewing the play of other guys in detail.  Frankly, I'm not interested and I haven't been watching.  I'm not sure anyone on the team today is important to the team's future, at least not nearly as important as Allen.  Edmunds is second, so I watch him.  Anyone else who's on the team today who will be on the team when it's competing for championships will be great to have, but there's not much point in looking for those guys now.  They may be part of the future, but they won't make it.  

I write about what I'm interested in.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, you're right.  I've been saying the season is over for a few weeks.  But like most of what I write, it's true.  The season is over, and McDermott has been coaching that way for at least a couple of weeks.  

As for Allen, I think he's going to be great.  I've been saying it for a while now.  Are you arguing with that conclusion?  

I suppose I could be reviewing the play of other guys in detail.  Frankly, I'm not interested and I haven't been watching.  I'm not sure anyone on the team today is important to the team's future, at least not nearly as important as Allen.  Edmunds is second, so I watch him.  Anyone else who's on the team today who will be on the team when it's competing for championships will be great to have, but there's not much point in looking for those guys now.  They may be part of the future, but they won't make it.  

I write about what I'm interested in.  

And many thanks for this every week!

yup, Allen looks like he has a future, this optimism is a big step forward

Like you Shaw, I’m convinced Allen is going to be awesome too.

Dare I say it, but he reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. They stand tall in the pocket and move around while always keeping their eyes downfield. I think it’s rather uncanny.

Yes, the results aren’t there yet. Allen also needs to fine tune some of his throws, duh.  The bills obviously need playmakers.

I love what I’m seeing though from the QB spot for the first time in atleast 15 years. 

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Like you Shaw, I’m convinced Allen is going to be awesome too.

Dare I say it, but he reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. They stand tall in the pocket and move around while always keeping their eyes downfield. I think it’s rather uncanny.

Yes, the results aren’t there yet. Allen also needs to fine tune some of his throws, duh.  The bills obviously need playmakers.

I love what I’m seeing though from the QB spot for the first time in atleast 15 years. 

And the Bills need a coach.  McDermott may be the guy, and he may not.   Time will tell.  

We go round and round on this every year, why can’t the Bills beat the Patriots, why don’t the Bills have any wins against good NFL teams? 

It’s coaching, no it starts at the top with the owners, it’s Quarterback, no it’s Free Agents.

You know what it is? It’s poor drafting. Year after year of poor drafting. It leaves the Bills with no depth every season and we’ve seen it again this season. 

Zay Jones is a mediocre NFL receiver, but because we traded up for him in Round 2 we have to give him more time...

Croom is an undrafted scrub converted Tight End, but he should make plays on the same level and George Kittle, he fumbles because he’s Jason Croom a fringe NFL player. 

The Bills are down to Robert Foster, another UDRFA to be their #1 WR. Another passed over scrub like Isaiah McKenzie and his 8” hands. 

Edmunds, he’ll be great, just needs time. What if he really just tops out as an average linebacker? Isn’t that just as plausible? 

Hey old guys, get out there and make plays. LeSean you haven’t been effective for all of 2018, but we’ll keep pretending that “getting the run game going” is important. 200 year old Chris Ivory is hurt. It’s 2018 and the Bills don’t have one (1!) RB who can catch a screen pass if they even thought to call one.

Kyle and Lorenzo, we’ll just keep having you go out there and bandaid the fact that we have no depth and no viable NFL options beyond you. By the way we have one good cornerback and a bunch of practice squaders. 

And Josh Allen, Shaw I have no idea why you are so certain on Allen. Sure try and get some  players this offseason, but this whole, he’s going to be great as if it’s a certainty is just hope. He’s exactly who he was projected to be out of Wyoming (erratic) and that’s not good enough at all. 

Its drafting. Stack 3 solid drafts together and you’ll see the team improve. Otherwise, it’s all just spinning your tires and regime after regime coming in here telling you about Buffalo weather and stopping the run. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

37 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We go round and round on this every year, why can’t the Bills beat the Patriots, why don’t the Bills have any wins against good NFL teams? 

It’s coaching, no it starts at the top with the owners, it’s Quarterback, no it’s Free Agents.

You know what it is? It’s poor drafting. Year after year of poor drafting. It leaves the Bills with no depth every season and we’ve seen it again this season. 

Zay Jones is a mediocre NFL receiver, but because we traded up for him in Round 2 we have to give him more time...

Croom is an undrafted scrub converted Tight End, but he should make plays on the same level and George Kittle, he fumbles because he’s Jason Croom a fringe NFL player. 

The Bills are down to Robert Foster, another UDRFA to be their #1 WR. Another passed over scrub like Isaiah McKenzie and his 8” hands. 

Edmunds, he’ll be great, just needs time. What if he really just tops out as an average linebacker? Isn’t that just as plausible? 

Hey old guys, get out there and make plays. LeSean you haven’t been effective for all of 2018, but we’ll keep pretending that “getting the run game going” is important. 200 year old Chris Ivory is hurt. It’s 2018 and the Bills don’t have one (1!) RB who can catch a screen pass if they even thought to call one.

Kyle and Lorenzo, we’ll just keep having you go out there and bandaid the fact that we have no depth and no viable NFL options beyond you. By the way we have one good cornerback and a bunch of practice squaders. 

And Josh Allen, Shaw I have no idea why you are so certain on Allen. Sure try and get some  players this offseason, but this whole, he’s going to be great as if it’s a certainty is just hope. He’s exactly who he was projected to be out of Wyoming (erratic) and that’s not good enough at all. 

Its drafting. Stack 3 solid drafts together and you’ll see the team improve. Otherwise, it’s all just spinning your tires and regime after regime coming in here telling you about Buffalo weather and stopping the run. 

As far as hope and JA go, watch the games and pay attention. His stone hand receives have failed him all year. Yes he's made some rookie mistakes and missed a receiver here and there but he does pass the eyeball test which is more than I can say for our the last 5 quarterbacks.....

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I say it all the time.  It's coaching and quarterbacking.   

Yes, the Bills could use some better players, but they don't have to be that much better.  Everyone complains about the receivers, but it's much more about scheme and quarterbacking than receivers.  Looks at the Pats and Seahawks, two teams we saw yesterday.   They have  better receivers, to be sure, but they aren't standout guys.   Among their receivers there isn't one guy anyone would trade a first-round pick for.   They aren't first-round talents and no one would trade a first-round pick for them.   What do they have in common?  A great quarterback and an excellent head coach.  

I'm not hoping about Allen.  It's based on what I see.   I see a guy who can throw from the pocket as well as anyone out there.  I see a guy who can throw on the run as well, or nearly as well, as Rodgers and Mahomes and Wilson.   I see a guy who can scramble with the best and outrun linebackers.   I see a guy who works hard and studies.   I see the arm.   Essentially what I see is a guy all the tools - arm, size, speed, brains - who just needs time to learn the nuances of the game.  And I see a guy who's learning almost week by week.  

Do I recognize that he might not make it?  Sure I do.   But he brings everything to the field that he needs to be great, and that's as much as you can ask for a rookie.   If he isn't better next season, I'll have to reevaluate.  What I expect is that, having gained a lot of experience this season and then having the entire off-season as the entrenched starter, having Barkley to work with and having an off-season to work with his receivers, Allen will be a much improved QB who will hurt defenses with his arm regularly.  

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I<snip>

<snip>

A call to arms?

Come on Shaw get the old band, er team, together. We need some more AFL, er AFC, championships.
And while you at it get rid of free agency so we can build some depth.

I never liked the fumble that goes out of bounds in the endzone rule.  Worst case scenario should be that ball goes to point on field where fumble occured.  Offense keeps ball, on to next down.  

Letting Incognito go was a mistake in my opinion.  They should have paid the man instead of trying to bring him back for less.  Losing three starters from 2017 really hurt the OL.  This offense would be much better if the OL could open holes for the running game.

Would not be surprised to see Clay and McCoy gone next year.  

Hope Williams and Alexander come back for one more year.  They are so valuable as players and mentors.

Anyone who isn't impressed with Allen doing what he's done with that OL isn't seeing the same game I'm seeing.  What he lacks is experience and better talent around him.

I was shocked at all the missed tackles yesterday.  I was shocked that the Bills looked like they had never seen a Jet Sweep.  Even more shocked that Bills never really adjusted.

Nice write-up Shaw66.  

3 hours ago, richardb1952 said:

I never liked the fumble that goes out of bounds in the endzone rule.  Worst case scenario should be that ball goes to point on field where fumble occured.  Offense keeps ball, on to next down.  

Letting Incognito go was a mistake in my opinion.  They should have paid the man instead of trying to bring him back for less.  Losing three starters from 2017 really hurt the OL.  This offense would be much better if the OL could open holes for the running game.

Would not be surprised to see Clay and McCoy gone next year.  

Hope Williams and Alexander come back for one more year.  They are so valuable as players and mentors.

Anyone who isn't impressed with Allen doing what he's done with that OL isn't seeing the same game I'm seeing.  What he lacks is experience and better talent around him.

I was shocked at all the missed tackles yesterday.  I was shocked that the Bills looked like they had never seen a Jet Sweep.  Even more shocked that Bills never really adjusted.

Nice write-up Shaw66.  

I generally agree with this.   I have no inside knowledge, but I'd guess that the Bills knew the wheels were coming off Incognito.  

I'd hate to see McCoy gone, but he definitely isn't part of the Bills future, so I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on from him.  

I feel the same way about Williams and Alexander, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're gone, too.  Valuable as they are, they also aren't part of the future.  Keeping them means the Bills have two big holes to fill in 2020, and they might prefer to begin dealing with that problem in 2018.  

Missed tackles.  Right.  I didn't comment on that.  I've always admired the Patriots' tackling.  They are consistently good tacklers.  

On 12/24/2018 at 3:19 AM, PUNT750 said:

Good review of the game.  Why, oh Why after training camp, pre-season and now 15 games into the season doesn't the OL improve even a little bit?  Why the same penalties over and over? 

Because the players on the offensive line aren't any good???

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Because the players on the offensive line aren't any good???

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the oline, and I really don't have any expertise there.   

They've been consistently bad at the run game all season.   Pass protection has been better the past six weeks or so.  

There are two kinds of good offensive linemen:  those who are just plain good from day one and those who learn and grow over a few years to become good.   Dawkins and Teller might be in the latter group, and maybe Miller, but time seems to be running out on him.  As I said somewhere in the last day or two, I hope the Bills get a stud olineman with their first pick and get a good olineman in free agency.  Add two good guys to the existing talent and the oline will get a lot better.