A Few Thoughts about the Pats Game, In no particular order

Virgil

Yesterday, I was thinking about finally committing to buying an Allen jersey.  The curse of players I own jersey's of (they aren't on the team within 2 years of me buying one) seemed like something of the past as I felt optimistic about today's game.  We were improving on offense.  Our defense did well last game.  Brady seems to be finally facing father time or is playing hurt.  Either way, it looked like today would be a good game.  Oh BBFS, you clever dog.  If you're looking for a positive spin on today's game, please move on to the next thread now.

1 - Linebackers - The biggest fear I had going into today's game was how the loss of Milano would affect the game.  Fortunately, the complete crap show all the linebackers put on today offset that quickly.  Don't get me wrong, Thompson ***** the bed in spectacular fashion.  I can't remember a time where I saw so many players run into blocks.  It was almost like they were running scripted plays on how not to attack the hole.  We were gashed to both sides of the line where the edge rushers were completely sealed off.  And on the plays they got to the ball carrier, they couldn't tackle to save their lives.  Yes, it was that bad. 

2 - Defensive Line - These guys get the brunt of my anger today.  They aren't rookies and they are very well paid.  This was the focus of the offseason and they have no excuse for the pathetic performance today.  If I told you that Brady was hurt/aging and couldn't pass the ball well, you all would piss yourself with excitement.  But what do we do?  We let them run all over us.  They blew us up down the middle, pushed through holes, and overall embarrassed us.  Murphy and Lawson were useless on the outside.  When they did blitz, they were able to get pressure sometimes, but that was their only positive contribution.

3 - Wide Receivers - Was anyone else not surprised when Croom fumbled the ball?  Between drops, lack of ball awareness, the WR's didn't do Allen any favors today and reminded us why we need a true, big bodied #1 guy.  These guys alone probably left at least 10-14 points on the board today in a game where everyone decided to equally lay an egg.

4 - NOT A ***** THING'S been working for us. Like this goddamn suit doesn't work for me... and this stinking tie... and this goddamned shirt. IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY WINNING HARD-NOSED FOOTBALL? YOU PLAY FOOTBALL LIKE ED GENERRO PLAYED FOOTBALL. A guy who gave his life for this football team. He was a 140-pound halfback, and HE PLAYED LIKE A GODDAMN WILDMAN! NO! LIKE A GODDAMN RAMPAGING BEAST! And that's the way you got to do it! YOU GO OUT THERE! YOU TEAR THEIR F***ING HEADS OFF, AND YOU ***** DOWN THEIR NECKS! Let us pray

5 - Allen - Yup, he sucked too today.  I was optimistic for him after the first drive, had his WR's not let him down so badly.  On the next drive though, he was crap.  There was pressure and this time he wasn't as elusive as before, but he was off the mark a lot more than he was on the mark today.  The Pats dared him to beat him with his arm by loading the box and pressing his WR's a lot, and Allen could come to task.  Some of that was on his WR's not getting separation and some is on Daboll for giving him better quick checks, but today was not great for him.  Unlike our defensive however, he's still learning and was hurt by his surrounding cast a bit.  Doesn't excuse the accuracy and INT's he threw though.  That was on him.

6 - Special Teams - I can't.  I just can't.   Crossman needs to be left in New England.  Today was a joke.  I can't even write about why without throwing up.

7 - Frazier - You almost have to applaud the timing of articles this week talking about Frazier getting consideration for Head Coaching opportunities this week.  Again, in a week where Brady isn't Brady, you give up how many rushing yards and to who?  C'mon man.  You got absolutely schooled today and it was a joke.  If I told you Brady's stat line today, you'd assume we won or it was close.  To squander this opportunity is pathetic.

8 - Daboll - Yup, you're in here too.  You actually have some speed in Foster and McKenzie and you can't have then run underneath routes at all?  You threw deep to Foster in the sun, but then didn't later as the game went on?  The Pats stacked the box and had NO SAFETIES back on quite a few plays and we are tossing slant-out routes?  Are you kidding me?  I was really hoping to see some adjustments after the Pats did it a few times, but nope.  You've done well recently Daboll, but today...not so much.

9 - McDermott - How does it feel to have Belicheat steal your lunch money and put you in a locker.  You got outcoached all day today.  Your players didn't help out from time to time, but you were still within a score after the first quarter, saw their entire game plan, and still got taken it to you.  I'm sorry, but this game is as much on you as anyone.  You were straight up out prepared, out executed, and did nothing about it in the game.  This was easily your worst coaching job of the season and you had to do it against the Pats?!  Thanks buddy.

10 - Pats Fans - Anyone else notice that the Pats fans all looked like Ivy League school fans?  I'm talking suits, families that JC Penny would put on a catalog?  I don't know why it bothered me so much, but the fans at the game looked like they could have easily been watching a croquet match.  I can't wait until the empire falls and the stadium is empty.  These are the weakest fans in the NFL and don't deserve their success.

By the way, I waited a solid two hours to write this so I could calm down.  How'd I do?  :angry:

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 19
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I agree with most of what you wrote. I was surprised at how easily our D Line got pushed around. Edmunds and Allen I chalk it up to a learning experience. You can’t expect young rookies not to look lost against a team like New England. It is obvious to see that that are at the end of their run though. Gronk is done and Brady isn’t far behind. We will be fighting the Jets for the division starting next year. 

I'm honestly sick of watching the same game every time we play the Patriots.

If the Pats play well they win by 40. If they play poorly they win by 25 and if they play like absolute garbage(like today) they win by 10 or 15...

Its ridiculous, and it goes way beyond talent on the field. It goes to the mentality of this team and these players that simply dont believe they can win the game. We have already lost the game before we even play it in the 6 days leading up to it.

Its like no matter what the Pats do they still end up winning. They could hand the Bills 20 points off turnovers and still win the game. Today Tom Brady was absolute trash and almost cost them the game, but we couldnt stop the run and couldnt do anything offensively. Pats gave us chance after chance after chance with uncharacteristic dumb plays for them, and they looked almost disinterested in playing...and what do we do? Nothing...get down to the 5 yard line and fumble the ball...go 3 and out over and over. Hit 25 and 30 yard punts over and over to give them great field position...like what in the actual ***** is wrong with this team when they play the Pats??

Until these players actually believe they can win against this team nothing will change.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 10

You did well.   Geez good thing you simmered for a few hours.

The Pats WILL fall a little further each game now, and our team is on the rise.

In other news, Shaq Mason RG gonna be a free agent.  I watched him a lot today, strong dude, plays low n nasty run blocker.  Doesn't look big but he seemed to have a great game.

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

5 - Allen - Yup, he sucked too today.  I was optimistic for him after the first drive, had his WR's not let him down so badly.  On the next drive though, he was crap.  There was pressure and this time he wasn't as elusive as before, but he was off the mark a lot more than he was on the mark today.  The Pats dared him to beat him with his arm by loading the box and pressing his WR's a lot, and Allen could come to task.  Some of that was on his WR's not getting separation and some is on Daboll for giving him better quick checks, but today was not great for him.  Unlike our defensive however, he's still learning and was hurt by his surrounding cast a bit.  Doesn't excuse the accuracy and INT's he threw though.  That was on him.

If you're looking for improvement in Josh Allen's accuracy you had better move onto the next QB in the draft.

:mellow:

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

4 - NOT A ***** THING'S been working for us. Like this goddamn suit doesn't work for me... and this stinking tie... and this goddamned shirt. IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. 

Respectfully...have you considered a new hairstyle?

In all seriousness, an excellent synopsis of the game and your views and frustrations.  I enjoy reading them.  Well done, as always.

Really irked about the dline and the run defense.  The bills devoted quite a bit of their resources this offseason to correct this.  I'm beginning to get a little concerned about Frasier.  27th rank in touchdowns allowed in the red zone.  That needs to be fixed big time!  

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm honestly sick of watching the same game every time we play the Patriots.

If the Pats play well they win by 40. If they play poorly they win by 25 and if they play like absolute garbage they win by 10 or 15...

Its ridiculous, and it goes way beyond talent on the field. It goes to the mentality of this team and these players that simply dont believe they can win the game.

Its like no matter what the Pats do they still end up winning. They could hand the Bills 20 points off turnovers and still win the game. Until these players actually believe they can win against this team nothing will change.

Coaching seems to get them +10 pts  I don't remember a game where the Bills coaching was better than Belicheck  Maybe the Fitz shootout game when Hoodie was in disbelief down at the end of the game.  Today was no different  Frazier didnt adjust till the Pats were up 14 basically just running the football and they never had the ends stay home to take away the Jets sweep  Pats must have run that play 6 or 7 times for close to a 100 yards  How many times does Trent need to watch the guy run by him before he stays home on the edge?

21 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yesterday, I was thinking about finally committing to buying an Allen jersey.  The curse of players I own jersey's of (they aren't on the team within 2 years of me buying one) seemed like something of the past as I felt optimistic about today's game.  We were improving on offense.  Our defense did well last game.  Brady seems to be finally facing father time or is playing hurt.  Either way, it looked like today would be a good game.  Oh BBFS, you clever dog.  If you're looking for a positive spin on today's game, please move on to the next thread now.

1 - Linebackers - The biggest fear I had going into today's game was how the loss of Milano would affect the game.  Fortunately, the complete crap show all the linebackers put on today offset that quickly.  Don't get me wrong, Thompson ***** the bed in spectacular fashion.  I can't remember a time where I saw so many players run into blocks.  It was almost like they were running scripted plays on how not to attack the hole.  We were gashed to both sides of the line where the edge rushers were completely sealed off.  And on the plays they got to the ball carrier, they couldn't tackle to save their lives.  Yes, it was that bad. 

2 - Defensive Line - These guys get the brunt of my anger today.  They aren't rookies and they are very well paid.  This was the focus of the offseason and they have no excuse for the pathetic performance today.  If I told you that Brady was hurt/aging and couldn't pass the ball well, you all would piss yourself with excitement.  But what do we do?  We let them run all over us.  They blew us up down the middle, pushed through holes, and overall embarrassed us.  Murphy and Lawson were useless on the outside.  When they did blitz, they were able to get pressure sometimes, but that was their only positive contribution.

3 - Wide Receivers - Was anyone else not surprised when Croom fumbled the ball?  Between drops, lack of ball awareness, the WR's didn't do Allen any favors today and reminded us why we need a true, big bodied #1 guy.  These guys alone probably left at least 10-14 points on the board today in a game where everyone decided to equally lay an egg.

4 - NOT A ***** THING'S been working for us. Like this goddamn suit doesn't work for me... and this stinking tie... and this goddamned shirt. IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY WINNING HARD-NOSED FOOTBALL? YOU PLAY FOOTBALL LIKE ED GENERRO PLAYED FOOTBALL. A guy who gave his life for this football team. He was a 140-pound halfback, and HE PLAYED LIKE A GODDAMN WILDMAN! NO! LIKE A GODDAMN RAMPAGING BEAST! And that's the way you got to do it! YOU GO OUT THERE! YOU TEAR THEIR F***ING HEADS OFF, AND YOU ***** DOWN THEIR NECKS! Let us pray

6 - Special Teams - I can't.  I just can't.   Crossman needs to be left in New England.  Today was a joke.  I can't even write about why without throwing up.

7 - Frazier - You almost have to applaud the timing of articles this week talking about Frazier getting consideration for Head Coaching opportunities this week.  Again, in a week where Brady isn't Brady, you give up how many rushing yards and to who?  C'mon man.  You got absolutely schooled today and it was a joke.  If I told you Brady's stat line today, you'd assume we won or it was close.  To squander this opportunity is pathetic.

8 - Daboll - Yup, you're in here too.  You actually have some speed in Foster and McKenzie and you can't have then run underneath routes at all?  You threw deep to Foster in the sun, but then didn't later as the game went on?  The Pats stacked the box and had NO SAFETIES back on quite a few plays and we are tossing slant-out routes?  Are you kidding me?  I was really hoping to see some adjustments after the Pats did it a few times, but nope.  You've done well recently Daboll, but today...not so much.

9 - McDermott - How does it feel to have Belicheat steal your lunch money and put you in a locker.  You got outcoached all day today.  Your players didn't help out from time to time, but you were still within a score after the first quarter, saw their entire game plan, and still got taken it to you.  I'm sorry, but this game is as much on you as anyone.  You were straight up out prepared, out executed, and did nothing about it in the game.  This was easily your worst coaching job of the season and you had to do it against the Pats?!  Thanks buddy.

10 - Pats Fans - Anyone else notice that the Pats fans all looked like Ivy League school fans?  I'm talking suits, families that JC Penny would put on a catalog?  I don't know why it bothered me so much, but the fans at the game looked like they could have easily been watching a croquet match.  I can't wait until the empire falls and the stadium is empty.  These are the weakest fans in the NFL and don't deserve their success.

By the way, I waited a solid two hours to write this so I could calm down.  How'd I do?  :angry:

Bills fans don't even try to hide their jealousy.

thanks for the read, Virgil. always enjoy it.

i agree about the coaching, today was just another in a litany of inexplicable inepitude coaching displays this season. i hate making coaching changes every two years but i hate realizing we should have made a coaching change sooner, even more. I'm not saying he/they need to go but some of these displays this year were truly awful.

Edited by Foxx

I'm not sure how much falls on Frazier. We have crap for linebackers and I think a wasted $50m on Star. If we had any semblance of an offense, no 6 3 and outs, INT's , fumbles, blocked punt.... it's a surprise NE didn't put up 40+ on us for what we gave them.

25 minutes ago, Virgil said:

100 percent agree and had all the same thoughts as you- just a disgusting day! 

Time for Kyle to retire.

3 plays that exemplify todays game.

1) Foster losing the ball in the sun while having 2 or 3 yards on his defender and a very well thrown ball.

2) Couple of plays later an excellent coverage beating play with double crossing routes and Allen hits McKenzie right in the hands.  He drops it.

3) Next would be the Croom fumble.

We really could have been in or won this game very easily.  NE has been letting very average teams hang around and even beat them and today we had our chance and blew it.  Hell NE was even taking drive killing penalties on offense just to help us out but we had no intention of stepping up today.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 - McDermott - How does it feel to have Belicheat steal your lunch money and put you in a locker.  

Best line of your rant, which was a great rant. 

Milano would have helped.  Many runs were bumped to the outside for huge gains.  Milano is pretty good at sniffing those out. In the end it wouldn’t have prevented the inevitable, but it would have helped. 

28 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Good analysis as always.

Just frustrating even with Brady slowing down these results still happen.  It's like Notre Dame vs Army at this point in college football.  I mean there you can kind of understand with 300 lb linebackers going up against 200 lb ones.  Bills vs Patriots however.  Ugh