Anyone else annoyed by play calling? Or lack there of?

Steptide

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

We're officially eliminated from playoffs. Is it just me or is the play calling just incredibly weak? I'm not only pointing this out because we played a very ugly game today, I complained about this last week in the game day thread quite a bit. 

Why are they being so conservative on offense? And defense come to think of it. What's the point? McDermott talks about "valuable" reps for these young players, so why not get a little more creative? Yes I know this team lacks serious talent. But why not try and run a little no huddle? I just don't get why this coaching staff doesn't try and take advantage of a few meaningless games, and try some creativity on offense and defense. 

I get frustrated with the play calling at times. I think Daboll is a decent OC, he does manufacture some offence. I think the real issue is there is just no talent other than Allen. They are playing as well as they can with this group IMO.

A better offensive game plan would have included more Run Pass Options and a lot, lot more empty sets with Allen operating from the gun.   They should have gone to shotgun empty set after the end of the first quarter.   It was obvious this was going to be another pathetic run day if they were going the traditional route.

I don't think the coaches cared that they lost today.   Seemed like a traditional football, relatively vanilla, play all the young guys, preseason game.   They ran basic plays to see who could execute.   Didn't call the game like they were trying to win at all costs.    And this is the result.   Lucky the defense played as well as they did in the passing game.   Otherwise, Patriots put up 50-60 today.    Daboll sucked today.   Dline and linebackers sucked today.

Edited by PolishDave

Daboll might have the New England Patriots play book... but he has no idea how to use it like they do.

The Patriots QB Brady had one of the very worst games I've ever seen him play with only 13 of 24 for 126 yards passing, 2 INTs. So what does Pats OC McDaniel's do? He ran the ball down the Bills throat for 47 attempts for 273 yards. Michel rushed 18 times for 116 yards with a 6.7 YPC average. All they did was move the chains by running the ball with 15 first downs rushing, thus controlling the clock and ToP.

The Bills meanwhile asked the rookie QB to carry the game in a stadium that rookie QBs never fair well in! And to the tune of 41 passing attempts vs only 18 rush attempts. Ford did okay with a 4.7 YPC average but was only asked to run 7 times. 

The Bills offense was a complete joke against NE by asking Allen to carry the team with a mid to deep passing scheme too. If the Bills needed 5 yards for a first down this OC wouldn't call a 6 yard out and instead called for a mid to deep pass play that takes time to develop. This with a bad O line and lousy receiving corps.

McKenzie targeted 8 times in the passing game caught one ball. The Bills receivers were targeted 40 times and caught only 20 balls. The offensive players might be bad, but the run game coordinator/offensive coordinator are just as bad. Dunno why the special teams coach still has a job either.

4 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I’m not a fan of daboll for the most part. He had a nice little stretch for a few games where he got creative and utilized a lot of jet motion, but for whatever reason he stopped doing it the past 2 games.

Season has been over. I'm usually pretty critical of them. But NFL coaches are like the most paranoid breed out there. Maybe I'm being too generous but I wouldn't he surprised if they were already treating this like the preseason.

Use young guys, vanilla offense, see what they can do with that if they are worth keeping. Minimize what you put on tape, because I'm a pretty sure Daboll will be back. He showed creativity in desperation games to keep the season alive, then after that it seems as if he just doesn't want to show his cards.

Again, that could be a convenient excuse but I do think an element of it exists. 

9 hours ago, PolishDave said:

A better offensive game plan would have included more Run Pass Options and a lot, lot more empty sets with Allen operating from the gun.   They should have gone to shotgun empty set after the end of the first quarter.   It was obvious this was going to be another pathetic run day if they were going the traditional route.

I don't think the coaches cared that they lost today.   Seemed like a traditional football, relatively vanilla, play all the young guys, preseason game.   They ran basic plays to see who could execute.   Didn't call the game like they were trying to win at all costs.    And this is the result.   Lucky the defense played as well as they did in the passing game.   Otherwise, Patriots put up 50-60 today.    Daboll sucked today.   Dline and linebackers sucked today.

My thoughts exactly. I just can't figure out why they're not taking advantage of these meaningless games and trying some new things 

On 12/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, frostbitmic said:

That would eliminate the forward pass from the playbook ... We have no one who can catch a football.

One guy that couldn't catch was cut, another benched, and the third is still playing because they have nobody else.  Foster and McKenzie can catch, and I think McCoy can too.  Play calling has been bad all year with the exception of a couple games.(Vikings, Jets) Will they keep Daboll as OC, or move in another direction?  My gut tells me he's done here.

52 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What is the NE system exactly?

Its based on the Earhert-Perkins system. Charlie Weiss and BB took it a step further. Its basically concepts that allow any play to be ran out of any formation. What makes it difficult is each receiver has multiple route options on each play depending what the defense is showing. The qb and receivers have to be in sync and able to read the play pre snap, but also be able to adjust if the defense shows something different after the snap.

A lot of good receivers coulnt grasp it. Ocho Cinco comes to mind as well as Reggie wayne.

I should have stated that Allen isnt ready to run the full concepts yet. Im sure Daboll has limited the route options as well as how many and what formations he is using

Edited by Chris66

My only thing with the offense is this team should have recognized early on they have zero run game.

Substitute your run game with a short passing game.

If Daboll calls a run play on 1st & 10, and opponents D has 8 in the box or if the CB/Slot defender is 9, 10 yards off.... audible, 1 yards hitch pivot and throw and possibly pick up 3,4,5 yards vs. 8 in the box and we run losing 2 yards.

Most of this year has been 2nd & long and too many 3rd downs. 

On 12/23/2018 at 6:58 PM, BuffaloButt said:

Can we call some creative plays, trick plays, sweeps?  Seemed very vanilla like a preseason game.  Run up the middle, run up the middle,  pass deep (incomplete), punt.  Do some unorthodox stuff, were already out of the playoffs!

Still need talent to run trick plays, probably exceptional talent. We don't have it. Can't get blood out of a stone.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:21 AM, Steptide said:

My thoughts exactly. I just can't figure out why they're not taking advantage of these meaningless games and trying some new things 

Teams have their system and do not deviate

top college teams keep running the option even when up 54-0 and won’t let their QB drop back and maybe learn the way to play in the pros 

You cannot fault Daboll he’s found weaknesses in analysis and Allen puts the ball consistently where a clutch receiver would get it.  Sadly, at present Zay and Croom have regressed into being all but useless.  With Foster showcasing what could be when you have breakdowns in mental concentration sometimes you have to look at the players.  Not just the scheme Zay hasn’t clicked here in the clutch.