Tremaine Edmunds: He was the worst player on the field Dec 23 (vs NE)

BADOLBILZ

Glad we traded even more assets to move up & grab him...

The 2018 draft has the potential to be one of our worst blunders in years if Edmunds & Allen don't pan out.

The amount of draft capital spent on getting those 2 could've netted so many pieces and set us up for years to come. Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way, it's just not looking good right now.

19 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

The Chicago Bears are a really young team as well with an average offense and made the Rams top 3 offense look like a pop warner squad.  They also drafted a linebacker in the first round.  Dominant defense can still beat a top offense.  I don't know why all of the sudden some fans think that they can't.  Smith obviously was more NFL ready but the concept is the same.  Top defenses will always be able get theirs no matter what modern offenses do. Dallas also shut down the Saints offense with great play from their rookie MLB along with other players.  

What happened the last two SB's then?

I'm not a defense-denier.....the defensive side of the ball has better athletes than ever...........mostly due to so many athletes who would have once been RB's setting up on the D side of the ball in search of that big CB/pass rusher money as teams try desperately to stop opposing passing games...........and the state of offensive lines around the league has never been worse...........but the reality is that the top defenses STILL often don't get theirs in the modern game.

Being an offensively driven team is by far your better chance to be consistently competitive.

Defense comes and goes quickly and while it's easy to turn a defense around quickly........it's hard to keep it there.

As I have said countless times on TSW........the Seahawks were the YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE NFL when they won the SB with that great young defense.......and 3 years later that was  over.   

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Glad we traded even more assets to move up & grab him...

The 2018 draft has the potential to be one of our worst blunders in years if Edmunds & Allen don't pan out.

The amount of draft capital spent on getting those 2 could've netted so many pieces and set us up for years to come. Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way, it's just not looking good right now.

I am much more optimistic about the 2017 &  2018 drafts then the half dozen that proceeded them..

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not as down as Badol on Edmunds' chances of turning it around in 2019. It isn't a certainty that he will by any means, but he did make a massive jump in the same regard in his college film between 2016 and 2017. I think there is a chance that he learns when there are actually plays to be made at the NFL level and when there are not and lane discipline is more important in the long run.

Yeah we will have to file this in front of Shaq Lawson in the "I hope you're right" file and hope it works out better this time.    We've had a few decent comps of guys who actually improved a lot at MLB in the thread so that's better than none.

Having a super tall,  MLB with a 7' wingspan who can make plays all over the field and still get his pads low, avoid and shed blocks and get to the hole and stone RB's in the ground game would be great.    But without that ground game aspect it's like a gimmick that smart teams can attack in a similar way that moving Bryan Scott from safety to LB was back in the Jauron era.    Like a moped is fun to drive until your friends see you on it.......Edmunds is fun to have play MLB until the opponent starts running the football and using play action.  

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah we will have to file this in front of Shaq Lawson in the "I hope you're right" file and hope it works out better this time.    We've had a few decent comps of guys who actually improved a lot at MLB in the thread so that's better than none.

Having a super tall,  MLB with a 7' wingspan who can make plays all over the field and still get his pads low, avoid and shed blocks and get to the hole and stone RB's in the ground game would be great.    But without that ground game aspect it's like a gimmick that smart teams can attack in a similar way that moving Bryan Scott from safety to LB was back in the Jauron era.    Like a moped is fun to drive until your friends see you on it.......Edmunds is fun to have play MLB until the opponent starts running the football and using play action.  

I completely agree with all your criticisms of Edmunds. I just do think there is a chance for him still on the basis of him making a big jump years 1 to 2 in college. I am not saying he will, but I think there is a chance. 

15 hours ago, mannc said:

The Giants might not regret drafting Sequon Barkley, but they should.  He's played very well, as expected, but not substantially better than Chris Carson or Phillip Lindsay, a seventh round pick and an UDFA, respectively.  And we see this kind of thing all the time.  People have mentioned Todd Gurley as an MVP candidate, but the truth is there is very little drop-off between him and Mack Brown.  Hell, CJ Anderson, a guy the Rams picked up off the street, ran for 170 yards for the Rams on Sunday.      

Disagree.  With Barkley, not only is he a better rusher than the others, he is an impact player in the pass game and a good pass blocker.  It's not just about the rushing what they do in the rushing game.  Running back's duties have evolved as the game has and Barkley does it better than almost anyone.  Barkley will likely end the season with over 700 yards receiving and at least 4 TDs.  He is also reliable in pass protection.  Having a player that can be that impactful in the pass game makes it much easier on a QB.  Lindsay and Carson have been very good but by no means reach the impact that Barkley has.  You could see him reach over 1,000 yards receiving in a season a few times in his career.

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What happened the last two SB's then?

I'm not a defense-denier.....the defensive side of the ball has better athletes than ever...........mostly due to so many athletes who would have once been RB's setting up on the D side of the ball in search of that big CB/pass rusher money as teams try desperately to stop opposing passing games...........and the state of offensive lines around the league has never been worse...........but the reality is that the top defenses STILL often don't get theirs in the modern game.

Being an offensively driven team is by far your better chance to be consistently competitive.

Defense comes and goes quickly and while it's easy to turn a defense around quickly........it's hard to keep it there.

As I have said countless times on TSW........the Seahawks were the YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE NFL when they won the SB with that great young defense.......and 3 years later that was  over.   

Seattle's worst record since 2012 is 9-7.  They have built a team that has had long term success. They still have a solid defense.  I never said that you shouldn't have any offense.  Of course you NEED offense.  I was simply pointing out that a team with a better defense than offense can still win.  You need to have a good balance IMO.  Look at the Saints who have always had a good offense but the defense hasn't been there until this year.  All of the sudden we are talking about Drew Brees maybe winning MVP but the last three years without a defense they couldn't get past 7-9.

Did I miss something?  The Patriots had a top 5 defense the last two seasons in terms of points against including 1st in 2016.  The Eagles had a top 5 defense last year.  Their defense helped them get to the super bowl and they won.  Atlanta the year before was one of the worst defenses and in the super bowl, they proved it.  You need a balance.  

A young Qb's best friend is a solid running game and a solid defense.  It keeps you in games and allows the young QBs to make mistakes.  It takes the pressure off off.   If you rely on the offense to win every game with a young QB, it's likely not going to happen. 

They want Allen, just like Chicago wants Trubisky, the Rams want Goff and the Eagles want Wentz to be the future of their respective team's but these guys aren't going to be Tom Brady coming out into the league.  You have to support them.  

McDermott said himself that he wants to have an offensive juggernaut but Allen needs to develop to get to that point.  Obviously we need more around him but working on the defense and run game now is also important so we don't have to rely on him like we have this year to do everything for us.  Hopefully with the assets we have, this team will make a big stride forward next year on all three sides of the ball.  Gotta have better special teams play too.

Edited by Buffalo30

• SDS changed the title to Tremaine Edmunds: He was the worst player on the field today