Tremaine Edmunds: He was the worst player on the field Dec 23 (vs NE)

BADOLBILZ

I thought Edmunds has played well at time especially after the first few weeks and up to maybe week 11 or 12.

I would say the last few weeks might be the rookie wall creeping up. Dude has been on the field almost every defensive snap all year long and rookies dont really have an off-season with all the pre draft workouts they do for teams...the body just gets worn down after a while and needs some time off.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

I said it all last year, I said it after the first few weeks of this season. Move Milano to MLB. I don’t care if he’s “small” He is smart, he is fast and he is instinctive. He is very aggressive and has a nose for the ball. He can put on 10-15lbs and play MLB. Let him be the QB of the Defense. Move Edmunds to WLB. Let him run and cover and read and react. They put way to much on his plate with calling the defense. The kid is only 20. He was thinking to much and not just playing. Switch them next year and see where we are at.

14 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I did. It was flat out wrong.

3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

What does this mean?  What accountability would you like to see?

We had a GM who was afraid to make mistakes.  He drafted EJ and was afraid to draft a QB for the 4 years after that.

Edmunds has developed in coverage and on passing plays through the year. I like him most on 3rd down as the year has gone on.

Hasn't shown much consistency or improvement at all vs. the run, however.

Adding bulk and experience will give him a chance in that area. It needs to improve for sure...

8 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

Julian Stanford didn't outlay him...if he did, then Stanford would be the starter.  Not that it matters anyhow...

Regarding Edmunds this season, he reminds me alot of Ryan Shaziers rookie season.  Ryan was not physical and always seemed 1 steo behind....fast forward a couple years and he was one of the best in the league.

Give the guy some time to develop with another NFL offseason

Shazier is an interesting comparison but you ruined your take with the "...if he did(outplay Edmunds) then Stanford would be the starter" nonsense.

Matt Barkley outplayed Josh Allen........that Jets game was the best QB'd and best game for the Bills this season..........but he didn't remain the starter when Allen was healthy because the team was developing their first round pick.      Same with Edmunds.

10 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

Julian Stanford didn't outlay him...if he did, then Stanford would be the starter.  Not that it matters anyhow...

Regarding Edmunds this season, he reminds me alot of Ryan Shaziers rookie season.  Ryan was not physical and always seemed 1 steo behind....fast forward a couple years and he was one of the best in the league.

You could actually see a clear drop-off from Edmunds when Stanford started, 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I said it all last year, I said it after the first few weeks of this season. Move Milano to MLB. I don’t care if he’s “small” He is smart, he is fast and he is instinctive. He is very aggressive and has a nose for the ball. He can put on 10-15lbs and play MLB. Let him be the QB of the Defense. Move Edmunds to WLB. Let him run and cover and read and react. They put way to much on his plate with calling the defense. The kid is only 20. He was thinking to much and not just playing. Switch them next year and see where we are at.

I think at first glance that looks like a fairly obvious solution but the problem with putting Milano in the middle of the fight is that he's already two-for-two ending seasons on IR.

I know it's a passing league but you still really need a durable guy in the middle and you may end up ruining him and making yourself worse at two positions.

I think the "move Edmunds to OLB" idea is kind of tired. We spend the majority of the game in a nickel defense, which would be he and Milano anyway. 90% of the fits and things would be the same as they are now regardless of calling him a SAM in base. Also your SAM backer in base defenses has to often jam tight ends and have a really strong punch, which is not something's Edmunds seems to do well. Draft Josh Allen and stick him there and get some functional depth. Edmunds played terrible, but he will be better. During draft time everyone talked about how great his instincts were. He's playing soft and needs some strength. 

We wound up in base a lot because the Pats forced us into it. They came out with a tight end and a fullback a ton which is why we saw so much Corey Thompson. The Lions playing 3 wide looks played into our hands last week. It was smart of the Pats to force us into base, forcing us to play Thompson and taking advantage of him, as Raphael Bush is a much better player. 

We should have signed Marquis Flowers a couple of weeks ago instead of assuming Corey Thompson was going to be okay. The Pats took advantage of this. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

And that's why the guy essentially was forced to retire in his late 20s. Teams don't employ that style of LB really anymore. Not as a starter or a large investment of draft capital or salary.

I wasn't actually expecting a MLB in the first. He was very tentative to hit in college and we were/are so weak on the run between the tackles. Didn't seem like an optimal fit.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think the "move Edmunds to OLB" idea is kind of tired. We spend the majority of the game in a nickel defense, which would be he and Milano anyway. 90% of the fits and things would be the same as they are now regardless of calling him a SAM in base. Also your SAM backer in base defenses has to often jam tight ends and have a really strong punch, which is not something's Edmunds seems to do well. Draft Josh Allen and stick him there and get some functional depth. Edmunds played terrible, but he will be better. During draft time everyone talked about how great his instincts were. He's playing soft and needs some strength. 

We wound up in base a lot because the Pats forced us into it. They came out with a tight end and a fullback a ton which is why we saw so much Corey Thompson. The Lions playing 3 wide looks played into our hands last week. It was smart of the Pats to force us into base, forcing us to play Thompson and taking advantage of him, as Raphael Bush is a much better player. 

We should have signed Marquis Flowers a couple of weeks ago instead of assuming Corey Thompson was going to be okay. The Pats took advantage of this. 

I did see Thompson struggled badly especially on those jet sweeps.  But I also felt that Edmunds was just as bad of a liability against the run.  Thompson has an excuse....Edmunds does not.  

35 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

Great comparison and I fully expect him to make a significant jump in year 2 . His physical talent is just off the charts , once the game slows down , he'll be a monster

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

During draft time everyone talked about how great his instincts were.

Huh?   The draft profiles I saw said instincts were his biggest weakness:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tremaine-edmunds?id=32462018-0002-5600-62d0-412c60099aca

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/17/nfl-draft-profile-no-11-virginia-tech-lb-tremaine-edmunds/a42uauc/

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

no, Milano is a converted Safety. He and Edmunds outside with a Slobber Knocker at MLB is a possibility. That would allow Lorax to be used situationally.

Just now, RocCityRoller said:

no, Milano is a converted Safety. He and Edmunds outside with a Slobber Knocker at MLB is a possibility. That would allow Lorax to be used situationally.

That’s not going to work. You aren’t taking one of these 2 guys off the field 75% of the time. If you move both to the outside, you are losing 1 of them constantly. It’s not the 70s. You don’t need a run stuffing guy at MLB. Your Dlimeman need to be moving forward not back. Milano can and should play MLB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

That’s not going to work. You aren’t taking one of these 2 guys off the field 75% of the time. If you move both to the outside, you are losing 1 of them constantly. It’s not the 70s. You don’t need a run stuffing guy at MLB. Your Dlimeman need to be moving forward not back. Milano can and should play MLB. 

????

Milano at SAM, Edmunds at WILL, new guy at MLB.

Lorax rotates in when pass rush is needed.

Lorax only has a year or two left. He should not be an every down LB at this point of his career.

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

????

Milano at SAM, Edmunds at WILL, new guy at MLB.

Lorax rotates in when pass rush is needed.

Lorax only has a year or two left. He should not be an every down LB at this point of his career.

The Slb is off the field when the ncb is on which is probably 75% of the time 

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus