Week 16 Bills at Pats Postgame Postmortum

billsfan_34

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Nothing surprising here. The Pats are smart. They went with the classic "make Josh Allen beat you with his passing" theory, stacked the box, stuffed the run, and shut down the Bills. Still, we would have had a fighting chance if a couple receivers could have made a couple plays on very catchable balls, or even if the Shady of 2014-15 had reemerged and broken a few tackles. But right now, outside of Allen (and Foster on fly routes only so far) we don't have any playmakers.

What? This is a new kind of dumb theory. They were afraid to hire a black head coach because he said something about "I want to succeed on merit," so instead they hired a white head coach?

Now he’s winning, stepping up, and proving himself including two blowout wins over McDermott.  Kim cannot assess Coachingnor management as the self-styled czar herself she’s absolutely lost.  Would we have been better with Coughlin assuming the role?

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lol , yes  NFL history is littered with 6th round draft pick HOF caliber QBs. Heck, the Bills should draft one every year for the next decade. Brady was a long shot that by his own admission thought he was going to be cut in preaseason his second year. It was a one in a bazillion long shot. If a QB lasts until the 6th round it’s just dumb luck if they’re any good. Flukes happen, just ask Drew Bledsoe and Mo Lewis,. 

It's not impossible though, it happens occasionally and if you draft them enough you will eventually find a Brady or a Cassel or a Warner. Will you find another Brady? Maybe not, but could we find a Cassel/Fitzpatrick type of QB in the 7th? Absolutely. 

7 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

It's not impossible though, it happens occasionally and if you draft them enough you will eventually find a Brady or a Cassel or a Warner. Will you find another Brady? Maybe not, but could we find a Cassel/Fitzpatrick type of QB in the 7th? Absolutely. 

The odds of finding another Tom Brady in the 6th round are zero...nilch.....nada....hell, the odds of finding another Brady in the 1st round are probably 0.10 %......I don't think we'll ever see another QB playing for 19 years with his level of success....and if you ask me, it's a good thing....the AFC needs  parity....

1 minute ago, Iron Maiden said:

The odds of finding another Tom Brady in the 6th round are zero...nilch.....nada....hell, the odds of finding another Brady in the 1st round are probably 0.10 %......I don't think we'll ever see another QB playing for 19 years with his level of success....and if you ask me, it's a good thing....the AFC needs  parity....

My point is they knew he could be good and they drafted him. Is that really luck? Pretty sure there are several UDFA QBs that were HOF QBs, obviously it's not common but there are droves of good QBs and serviceable ones underneath that upper echelon and the success rate is higher than .10%.

32 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Now he’s winning, stepping up, and proving himself including two blowout wins over McDermott.  Kim cannot assess Coachingnor management as the self-styled czar herself she’s absolutely lost.  Would we have been better with Coughlin assuming the role?

Why don’t you ask the Jaguars how that’s worked out?

Edited by Joe in Winslow

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

My point is they knew he could be good and they drafted him. Is that really luck? Pretty sure there are several UDFA QBs that were HOF QBs, obviously it's not common but there are droves of good QBs and serviceable ones underneath that upper echelon and the success rate is higher than .10%.

I get your point...and I don't necessarily disagree...but besides Brady and K Warner, I can't really think of any UDFA or low rounds QBs that are HOF material.......was Warren Moon an UDFA ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Iron Maiden said:

I get your point...and I don't necessarily disagree...but besides Brady and K Warner, I can't really think of any UDFA or low rounds QBs that are HOF material.......was Warren Moon an UDFA ?

Not positive about Moon. Either way, if the Bills drafted the next Matt Cassel or Ryan Fitzpatrick in the 6th round that's fantastic. Anything more than that and you are going to really set your team up in a big big way. Bills should draft one every year until we strike gold.

26 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Of course the Bills could find a Fitzpatrick/ Cassel type of QB in the late rounds. Unfortunately those are the types of QBs that the Bills have trotted out season after season for twenty years. A Brady in round six was lightning in a bottle that will probably never happen again. 

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The funny thing is that with a better supporting cast at WR & TE Allen would have beat them through the air.  Watching the highlights I'm more convinced then I was when watching the game live (where I was throwing stuff at the TV) that this is the case.

With almost any other WR/RB/TE group out there today Allen would have had a classic gunslinger type of game and the Bills probably pull off the upset.  By this I mean that Allen did throw some very bad balls and 2 dumb INT's.  But at the same time he threw some great balls that should have resulted in TD's.  This could have been an amazing game if our skilled players had MADE SOME PLAYS! 

Two plays change that game dramatically: foster finding the ball, and Croom's fumble. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Of course the Bills could find a Fitzpatrick/ Cassel type of QB in the late rounds. Unfortunately those are the types of QBs that the Bills have trotted out season after season for twenty years. A Brady in round six was lightning in a bottle that will probably never happen again. 

Either way, you can find good QBs in the 7th if you draft them enough and to me that's good enough reason to keep drafting ones. Will there ever be another Brady? Maybe not, but if that's the standard we should never draft another QB again. Did they know he'd be that good? No way. But they knew he could be good. That's not luck, that's called being a world class organization and they also nailed that Matt Cassel pick too. That's not luck man.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sal is ubiquitous!

I read Sal's take expecting to see a lot of Allen bashing and while it sort of went that way it's clear that he understands where the real problem lies going by these two quotes:

"he is surrounded with such incompetence on offense" and then describing the rest of the offense as "the slop around him".

It's true that Allen & the Bills did not seize the torch from Brady & the Patriots today.  But that day is coming once we clear the deadwood out. 

Josh Allen stunk it up. Still not accurate. 20/41 completions. Awful. Our run defense was bad, too. It's the Pats though. This was an expected loss. 50 percent accurate QB is bad to have.  The other 50 percent is Josh trying to make up for that inaccuracy with pure running.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

Just now, Buffalo Ballin said:

Josh Allen stunk it up. Still not accurate. 20/41 completions. Awful. Our run defense was bad, too. It's the Pats though. This was an expected loss.

I expected a lot better and McDermott did not even prep the team.  Knowing what was coming he though Star and Trent Murphy the steroid baby we’re going to be amazing.  Guy needs to respect his footballs, check his tapes, and Coach more physicality like he acknowledged he should have against the Colts.  Oh, wait repeating his mistakes all over again.  

I never wanted Mahomes. I won’t pretend I wanted the Bills to stay there and take him. I did however really want Watson. Watching these two guys and then watching whatever we are trying to do on offense....I mean, we aren’t even playing the same game. It’s one of those things where you can’t really go back and redo every draft pick. But when you are in the top 10, you can’t just always pick the wrong guy. It matters.