Clay told he will be released this offseason?

Virgil

On 12/23/2018 at 11:18 AM, Virgil said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6681/charles-clay

Doesn’t say who’s reporting it.  Healthy scratch for the Pats game is interesting. 

I have seen years where Clay was our best receiver out there - maybe that says more about our receivers over the years than Clay himself.

There has been a steady decline, and his ability to stay healthy has been an issue. Beane and McD are going to have to do some house cleaning as part of clearing high-salary players who could be reasonably replaced by less expensive players who can contribute as much or more to the team. This draft is pretty deep with TE's that look like they could succeed at the next level. Shady is a similar situation.

I believe they are using Croom in the WR role they were looking at KB to fill. At 6'5" 245 lbs and legit 4.6 speed he is in the same mold, but a faster version of Benjamin, particularly since the knee injury KB had. He has shown better hands than KB, but his decision-making, route-running, and blocking are a work in progress. I do feel that overall he is an upgrade over Kelvin who does not seem to be trending in the right direction for KC - still a bit early to close the book but 2 targets for 1 catch, and then 2 targets for 0 catches...

Not sure how many more years Shady has in the tank, but to me it is clear that he has not fully recovered from the concussion and hammy injuries. Even with that, for the past two years I have seen less of that elusiveness and burst for yards that he was known for and more dancing and getting stopped by the first guy who gets to him behind the line. The wise move is to move him and his salary to clear a roster spot for a running back who has a chance to be a more regular contributor.

I know I can get a bit brutal commenting on our veteran players that are not getting it done anymore during games. In hindsight I don't think it is very cool to bash players who just hit the wall with age and/or injuries while playing for our team and simply can't get it done anymore - unless they are trying to shift the blame for not getting it done. Not calling out anyone, just a moment of self-reflection - tis the season and all that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Feel free to send Thomas with him

Yes, the whole TE room needs revamping.
held out some hope for Logan , but he makes too many mistakes still.
maybe as #4 he stays

Croom lined up outside so many times i wondered who the new WR was with #80.
and even he is not near a number one TE.

its is quite sad how bad our ball catching players have been neglected when trying to give Allen a higher chance of success.
tees me off a bit, much like the O line and protections.

But i have been saying, Clays injuries are no longer manageable . those knees are long gone

• Like (+1) 2

Clay was bad signing when we made it and remained that way throughout. He's a good player without the injuries, but he had the injuries. Also, he was never really worth the premium we paid in the first place. We were never going to get our money out of Clay it was the kind of signing that made no sense ... almost like we thought we were on the verge of being really good at the time (which is, of course, laughable). 

15 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

maybe as #4 he stays

its is quite sad how bad our ball catching players have been neglected when trying to give Allen a higher chance of success.

But i have been saying, Clays injuries are no longer manageable . those knees are long gone

This team has no #1 or #2 WR/TE. On a good day Croom is maybe a 3 and the same goes for Foster. Zay will be lucky to even make this team in August. 

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

maybe as #4 he stays

They never put Croom inside because he is the worst blocking TE that I have ever seen. Out of all our bad TE's Croom is the worst.

23 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

They never put Croom inside because he is the worst blocking TE that I have ever seen. Out of all our bad TE's Croom is the worst.

so we have that going for us..

any one have an Opinion of the types of TE Bills are looking for ?

I liked O Leary honestly.
Perhaps limited but consistent , at least from a Fans pov 

But heck

I liked Robert Woods

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/24/2018 at 2:18 AM, Virgil said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6681/charles-clay

Doesn’t say who’s reporting it.  Healthy scratch for the Pats game is interesting. 

I believe he may be being told that, but not by McDermott and Beane. Even if you think that's the way it's going to go, why decrease your options early?

not a TE oriented offense.   he's like Shady, if he's healthy and not too expensive for his position, keep him.   Although I am guessing that knee is simply just not right and hasn't been right for a couple years..

Edited by ProcessTruster