Clay told he will be released this offseason?

Virgil

21 minutes ago, Virgil said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6681/charles-clay

Doesn’t say who’s reporting it.  Healthy scratch for the Pats game is interesting. 

I think this is a misleading title. What the rotoworld post is saying is that the optics of being a healthy scratch this game implies he's getting cut/not in the future plans not that some not that someone came up to him and said "you're getting cut this off season". 

No need to over-sensationalize something we all already know.

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Watching the Ravens roll 4 tight ends out there better than Clay was pretty eye opening.  

Yep.  Our TE position has been an embarrassment for as long as I can remember.  And it’s not a hard position to fill.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"A couple seasons"?  You mean like, last year? 

You don't get credit for being a leading receiver when the WR room's been blown up and you're only halfway to 1000 yds

And you only beat the RB by ~100 yds

I mean if he was playing with Rodgers or Brees, it’s be one thing.  We had a bottom 3 passing attack while he was here.  Who would have been awesome here?

i think Clay was a good, versatile player who struggled with injuries.  Definitely time to move on but he was solid and upgrade over almost any TE on the last 15 years.

that said, do what NE, and draft some monster TE who are match nightmares.  I think Allen would thrive in a 2 TE type offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean if he was playing with Rodgers or Brees, it’s be one thing.  We had a bottom 3 passing attack while he was here.  Who would have been awesome here?

i think Clay was a good, versatile player who struggled with injuries.  Definitely time to move on but he was solid and upgrade over almost any TE on the last 15 years.

that said, do what NE, and draft some monster TE who are match nightmares.  I think Allen would thrive in a 2 TE type offense. 

possibly blocking aside. Scot friggin Chandler was a bigger receiving threat. With garbage QB's

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

the pass was not perfect. but clays end zone trip/drop in the end zone.

A missed game winning td. should have had him riding pine every game since.

And this is how he will be remembered in Buffalo. Dropping a potentially game winning pass. Sad. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

...probably  DEAD wrong, but I still think the Bills strategy was to get Fins to match, eating up cap space, but it back fired......his tariff was too high with a cloudy long term health prognosis....he became TT's principal "go to guy" as his out, a discussion for another (hopefully NEVER) day..........

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...probably  DEAD wrong, but I still think the Bills strategy was to get Fins to match, eating up cap space, but it back fired......his tariff was too high with a cloudy long term health prognosis....he became TT's principal "go to guy" as his out, a discussion for another (hopefully NEVER) day..........

I believe that was exactly it.  I remember being scared of Clay when we played them.  Think about it, he did better with Tannehill throwing him the ball.

but either way, it’s time to get some new blood.  Enjoy he game and go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I believe that was exactly it.  I remember being scared of Clay when we played them.  Think about it, he did better with Tannehill throwing him the ball.

but either way, it’s time to get some new blood.  Enjoy he game and go Bills!

...uh oh bud...Croom has "connections"....:thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Releasing Clay and McCoy saves 10 million in cap dollars.  No brainer

I do think Clay will be released, but I wouldn’t say it’s a no-brainer to release McCoy to save cap space.

The Bills already have like $90 million in cap space for next season. 

I highly doubt that Beane is going to go blow all of that hard earned cap space in a single offseason.

I think he will spend a decent portion, but I don’t see the Bills as a cap team next year by any means. Beane has preached buindling through the draft and being smart in free agency. 

So I don’t see it as a priority to cut Shady for cap space.

And Seeing as he wasnt traded at the deadline when we when there were said to be offers, I think they will most likely give him a chance to rebound (behind a hopefully improved o line).