La Canfora: Patriots Could See Exodus of Coaches and Executives in 2019 Due to Concerns about the Future

26CornerBlitz

Patriots Could See Exodus of Coaches, Executives in 2019 Due to Concerns about Team's Future

While much has been made of the imminent demise of the Patriots' dynasty in recent years, team and league sources indicated that more members of the organization than ever before are open to new opportunities outside New England in 2019.

The Patriots have yet to reach the 10-win mark and face the prospect of missing out on a first-round bye, while quarterback Tom Brady has shown signs of slowing down, finally, at age 41. New England's talent level has been drained in recent years and with Brady looking like a mortal quarterback and Bill Belichick's future unknown, there is a growing sense around the league that there could be a significant exodus of coaching and front-office talent this offseason. There are serious concerns within the organization about how the Patriots will function once owner Robert Kraft, 77, eventually transfers day-to-day operations fully to son, Jonathan, and it is inevitable this team eventually has to rebuild and retool in a way it has avoided for the better part of two decades.

"This is the time to get out, and those guys know it," said one NFL executive who has ties to several members of the Patriots staff and is in regular contact with them. "There will be a lot of guys in there ready to see what else is out there."

I think it may start this year, especially if we help continue their demise today and they have an early playoff exit. Brady is clearly in decline, Edelman is a shell of his former self without the roids, Hogan is a FA, Gronk looks like Frankenstein running around out there, and the defense doesn't have all of the plug-and-play impact players they once had. 

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Patriots Could See Exodus of Coaches, Executives in 2019 Due to Concerns about Team's Future

While much has been made of the imminent demise of the Patriots' dynasty in recent years, team and league sources indicated that more members of the organization than ever before are open to new opportunities outside New England in 2019.

The Patriots have yet to reach the 10-win mark and face the prospect of missing out on a first-round bye, while quarterback Tom Brady has shown signs of slowing down, finally, at age 41. New England's talent level has been drained in recent years and with Brady looking like a mortal quarterback and Bill Belichick's future unknown, there is a growing sense around the league that there could be a significant exodus of coaching and front-office talent this offseason. There are serious concerns within the organization about how the Patriots will function once owner Robert Kraft, 77, eventually transfers day-to-day operations fully to son, Jonathan, and it is inevitable this team eventually has to rebuild and retool in a way it has avoided for the better part of two decades.

"This is the time to get out, and those guys know it," said one NFL executive who has ties to several members of the Patriots staff and is in regular contact with them. "There will be a lot of guys in there ready to see what else is out there."

Reading that phrase out loud makes you realize how silly that statement is.....in those " recent years ", let's say, the last 4 seasons.....they've been to 4 AFCCG and 3 SBs...winning 2.....the decline might finally be happening, but the " recent years " have been really good to NE....hell, most franchises have not achieve that level of success in their entire history....

Edited by Iron Maiden
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think it may start this year, especially if we help continue their demise today and they have an early playoff exit. Brady is clearly in decline, Edelman is a shell of his former self without the roids, Hogan is a FA, Gronk looks like Frankenstein running around out there, and the defense doesn't have all of the plug-and-play impact players they once had. 

I don't think there's any question we're seeing real decline. 

4 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I don't think there's any question we're seeing real decline. 

And with that decline coaches and execs might look to jump ship instead of be part of a rebuild for the first time in 20 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Coaches leave NE annually.  

This is is a nothing burger of a story IMO.  

Unless the coach is BB. 

One or two coaches maybe? 

This article is talking about a mass departure. That's the whole point... 

:doh:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Can't read enough of this stuff.

I do think that although these games aren't highly important for the standings if the Bills and/or Jets play well against the Pats (particularly if Allen and/or Darnold outduel Brady) there will be a sense of the changing of the guard that's about to happen in 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Reading that phrase out loud makes you realize how silly that statement is.....in those " recent years ", let's say, the last 4 seasons.....they've been to 4 AFCCG and 3 SBs...winning 2.....the decline might finally be happening, but the " recent years " have been really good to NE....hell, most franchises have not achieve that level of success in their entire history....

All the success comes with asterisks in the end though.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

One or two coaches maybe? 

This article is talking about a mass departure. That's the whole point... 

:doh:

Until it happens it’s pure speculation 

unless it’s BB then I see the SOS. 

How long have we been waiting for a collapse?

Fool me once ..... 

PS lets not pretend I’m not liking the idea.   

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Until it happens it’s pure speculation 

unless it’s BB then I see the SOS. 

How long have we been waiting for a collapse?

Fool me once ..... 

PS lets not pretend I’m not liking the idea.   

It's still a story...

If it's true, then it's significant.

C'mon, this is basic stuff.

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

When it happens it happens. Every year people rush to report the end and nothing ever comes of it. I’m not buying it until the day Brady actually leaves NE, or until Bill actually leaves NE. I hope it happens but il believe it when I see it.

I agree.  This story has been a theme for several years.  The Patriots will be done when the rest of the AFCE beats them regularly.

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

When it happens it happens. Every year people rush to report the end and nothing ever comes of it. I’m not buying it until the day Brady actually leaves NE, or until Bill actually leaves NE. I hope it happens but il believe it when I see it.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I agree.  This story has been a theme for several years.  The Patriots will be done when the rest of the AFCE beats them regularly.

The Patriots are definitely leaking oil. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't know if it'll all happen yet...and while Brady's slowing down he's still pretty good...but I really thought the Jimmy G trade was a huge mistake for them. I'm glad he stuck his nose in it...but Kraft should've let Belichick do what he really wanted to and move on from Brady and move forward with Jimmy G.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It can’t happen soon enough and my sincere Xmas wish is we spank them for the next decade, and every year I’ll bust my Patriots friends chops like they’ve done to me for 17 years.

My pat answer typically was “you became a Pats fan after 2001.   Before that we spanked you for 14 years, and the same for th Sabre’s over the Bruins and I’m not even a hockey fan until the playoffs.