Whose career would you rather have Mark Rypien or Jim Kelly?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

A friend and I had this conversation to which we really didn’t come to a conclusion.  So I decided to post a thread here.  

Jimbo obviously was a more solid player year in and year out.  Mark was more of a one year wonder HOWEVER he did get that Super Bowl ring and MVP.  

Interestingly enough both these guys had some equal bad luck after retirement.  They both lost sons way too early.  Jim battled cancer but Mark dealt with depression to the point he wanted to commit suicide.  

Anyway what do you think?  

Which player has a bust in Canton? That is your answer.

• Like (+1) 1

Okay admittely the wording on the thread wasn’t the best so I changed the title.

Point I was trying to make is would you rather be an average QB your career but experience that championship glory versus a real good HOF one but never get there.

I mean at Bills games how many people wear shirts Just One Before I Die.  

Edited by Another Fan

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Replace Mary Rypien with Warren Moon and this is a good question.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

A friend and I had this conversation to which we really didn’t come to a conclusion.  So I decided to post a thread here.  

Jimbo obviously was a more solid player year in and year out.  Mark was more of a one year wonder HOWEVER he did get that Super Bowl ring and MVP.  

Interestingly enough both these guys had some equal bad luck after retirement.  They both lost sons way too early.  Jim battled cancer but Mark dealt with depression to the point he wanted to commit suicide.  

Sidenote:  

In Rypien's best year Kelly had more TDs.  

Rypien = Bledsoe 

That should help the argument.  

Rypien also played behind arguably the best OL in the history of football.  He was  nothing when he wasn't behind that line.  Dude had brick feet just like Bledsoe.  

Anyone that's arguing against you doesn't know football and football history.  

Kelly was obviously the superior player, but Rypien can shut him up in every discussion by showing him his ring. That's why they play the game, to win a championship.

As a fan, would you rather have 1 Super Bowl championship during that era or none?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Kelly was obviously the superior player, but Rypien can shut him up in every discussion by showing him his ring. That's why they play the game, to win a championship.

As a fan, would you rather have 1 Super Bowl championship during that era or none?

Wrong question. I’d rather have one ring than none, but would you rather be in the big game 4 straight years - or just once? It was a great run as a fan. 

Personally, I’d rather have gone 4 times (as the QB, as the question us stated), than go once and win.....if you include the extra millions earned and the HOF. THAT is part of the career. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wrong question. I’d rather have one ring than none, but would you rather be in the big game 4 straight years - or just once? It was a great run as a fan. 

Personally, I’d rather have gone 4 times (as the QB, as the question us stated), than go once and win.....if you include the extra millions earned and the HOF. THAT is part of the career. 

As a fan, at the time , I appreciated the long stretch of great seasons. Looking back, I would take one Super Bowl mixed in with some not so great seasons.  I was a season ticket holder before , during and after the Super Bowl years and had a blast, but looking back, no matter how exciting that time was, I now look back with an empty feeling. I can't enjoy the memories because of the final game of those seasons.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

As a fan, at the time , I appreciated the long stretch of great seasons. Looking back, I would take one Super Bowl mixed in with some not so great seasons.  I was a season ticket holder before , during and after the Super Bowl years and had a blast, but looking back, no matter how exciting that time was, I now look back with an empty feeling. I can't enjoy the memories because of the final game of those seasons.

I get the emptiness. There was never a year when they wound up on top. Still, I’m leaning toward the sustained achievement. Personal preference I suppose. I’ll take four years IN the game, to one year winning the game, then disappear. 

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Jim Rypien

Mark Kelly.

both really.

FYI: later health problems are not part of their careers. Just the athletic accomplishments as players are the career.

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, leonbus23 said:

Who was better? This guy or David Bowie?

maxresdefault.jpg

That's a trick question!

They're the same right!

LoL... ?

21 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's not as bad a question as everyone is making it out to be if you look at the question as saying "what kind of career would you rather be known for. A superbowl win and an MVP award, or no Superbowl rings but making the HOF" ?

Who knows... Rypien still has the chance of lucking into the Hall.

Then who's laughing.