More evidence why I think Jerry Hughes is the most underrated DE in the NFL

JerseyBills

10 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

It depends on what we've save by cutting him. He's capable of getting home when healthy and you can never have enough pass rushers. If we save most of the cap hit though, I'd be tempted to see what's out there in FA.

....if I'm thinking correctly (dangerous assumption), cap hit versus pay equates to an additional $1.75 mil......with $80-$90 mil to spend, the additional is easily absorbed.....

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....if I'm thinking correctly (dangerous assumption), cap hit versus pay equates to an additional $1.75 mil......with $80-$90 mil to spend, the additional is easily absorbed.....

With that number, there's really no reason to cut him loose unless they feel confident he's not going to be healthy. Not a fan of cutting guys just for the heck of it. Can never have enough pass rushers as I said, and he's a decent player when available.

5 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

With that number, there's really no reason to cut him loose unless they feel confident he's not going to be healthy. Not a fan of cutting guys just for the heck of it. Can never have enough pass rushers as I said, and he's a decent player when available.

....good point.....if he's finally healthy, keep the rotational philosophy and maybe he is productive.....keep working on grooming this Yarborough kid as well......like him so far.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hughes is more bark than bite at this point.  It was a great trade (Whaley sucks!) but he is nothing special as a pass rusher at this point.  His career is on the Decline. 

And that’s with Mario and Dareus being all pros at their position.

at least he settle down with his brain dead, fake tough guy penalties.

This might be the worst take I’ve read all season.  I enjoy your posts most of the time, but this one makes me think you’ve taken the year off and haven’t watched a game all year. He’s been our best player by a long shot and I’m quite confused how anyone that has watched Jerry play it his year could say utter such trash.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hughes is more bark than bite at this point.  It was a great trade (Whaley sucks!) but he is nothing special as a pass rusher at this point.  His career is on the Decline. 

Wow, I am almost shocked to see this coming from you, as I usually agree with your opinions and if I don't , you provide solid reasoning and I can see where you're coming from. 

Nothing special as a pass rusher?!? The same season he set the ALL TIME record for pressures in a game , the same season where he has the most 4th qtr pressures of any edge defender , approximately 1 pressure a series in the 4th qtr! That's special if you ask me. 

A season where he is the premiere pass rusher on the #1 pass D in the league. 

I respect your football i.q , you're smart enough to know that sacks don't equate to being an elite DE.  He's causing consistent disruption to opposing QBs, he's a very good run defender. He's having one of his best seasons of his career and never takes a play off. 

9 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

I told my Pats*** fan co-worker to watch #55 get mugged on every pass play on Sunday and not be the beneficiary of one holding call.

It amazes me how much this man gets mugged and not penalized , it literally happens multiple times per game. It really seems as if the zebras have a vendetta against him . And it does seem to happen more vs the Pats****@

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Agree to disagree, I think many Bills fans over value Hughes. I don't think he's terrible by any means but he's had only 2 seasons with double digits sacks in his career and for an edge rusher that's low in, my eyes anyways.

He is a handful for lineman and when paired up with other great players he can show out.  However, when he is the lead dog he struggles a bit.  He gets the extra attention from the line and tight ends.  It's harder to get home when you are the main player the defense has game planned for.  I think for what he is paid, he is worth every penny.  Edge rushers who get double digit sacks year in and year out go for a lot more than he is making.  Again, if they gave him a stud DT who could penetrate and stunt with, he'd benefit greatly.  Kyle Williams is looking to retirement at some point.  

He is a great number 2 rusher for a team but needs a lead artist IMO.  

Edited by Buffalo30

9 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

yeah, too bad, he made a ton of $$, so that's good for him, but another guy whose career/recognition went to the bills to die. 

Really, if it weren't for the Bills he might not be in the league anymore.  He crapped the bed for the Colts and we gave him another chance.  He had no recognition before he came here!  All he was known for with the Colts was being a first round bust.  Not sure what the hell you mean, die.  This is where he breathed bro.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You callin Jerry Hughes a B word?

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Wow, I am almost shocked to see this coming from you, as I usually agree with your opinions and if I don't , you provide solid reasoning and I can see where you're coming from. 

Nothing special as a pass rusher?!? The same season he set the ALL TIME record for pressures in a game , the same season where he has the most 4th qtr pressures of any edge defender , approximately 1 pressure a series in the 4th qtr! That's special if you ask me. 

A season where he is the premiere pass rusher on the #1 pass D in the league. 

I respect your football i.q , you're smart enough to know that sacks don't equate to being an elite DE.  He's causing consistent disruption to opposing QBs, he's a very good run defender. He's having one of his best seasons of his career and never takes a play off. 

It amazes me how much this man gets mugged and not penalized , it literally happens multiple times per game. It really seems as if the zebras have a vendetta against him . And it does seem to happen more vs the Pats****@

I’ll be honest.  Hughes really pissed me off with all the stupid penalties he used to get.  I also fell like the guy who tries to be a tough guy should have proved how tough he was when Gronk took that cheap shot but he was no where to be found.

but trust me, Hughes is far from one of the big problems on this team.  As others have said, he isn’t a number 1 pass rusher but a complimentary one.  And pressures are great but I want more game changing plays from him.  But he is a solid starter and does play with a high motor.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’ll be honest.  Hughes really pissed me off with all the stupid penalties he used to get.  I also fell like the guy who tries to be a tough guy should have proved how tough he was when Gronk took that cheap shot but he was no where to be found.

but trust me, Hughes is far from one of the big problems on this team.  As others have said, he isn’t a number 1 pass rusher but a complimentary one.  And pressures are great but I want more game changing plays from him.  But he is a solid starter and does play with a high motor.

...think he's done a helluva job correcting those team zapping gaffes......and yes he is a solid starter who could use a complimentary guy to make him more effective...and I'm not convinced Frazier will ever broach "aggressive defense" regardless of talent.......

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think he's done a helluva job correcting those team zapping gaffes......and yes he is a solid starter who could use a complimentary guy to make him more effective...and I'm not convinced Frazier will ever broach "aggressive defense" regardless of talent.......

Yup, I’ll give him credit for that.  I assumed after he went after the ref, I assumed it was Jerry being an idiot again but I was wrong.  But the question is how much is a guy getting older who is getting like 7 sacks/ year worth?  

And Frazier is Jauron after a beach vacation. ?

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup, I’ll give him credit for that.  I assumed after he went after the ref, I assumed it was Jerry being an idiot again but I was wrong.  But the question is how much is a guy getting older who is getting like 7 sacks/ year worth?  

And Frazier is Jauron after a beach vacation. ?

...good Lord, don't get me started on The Cadaver....his pressers made wakes look exciting......classic Tasker line:.."Dick Jauron's speedy defense looked like bugs on my windshield"....don't you think Hughes could be more effective with a competent edge guy on the other side, minus VANILLA LESLIE?........

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good Lord, don't get me started on The Cadaver....his pressers made wakes look exciting......classic Tasker line:.."Dick Jauron's speedy defense looked like bugs on my windshield"....don't you think Hughes could be more effective with a competent edge guy on the other side, minus VANILLA LESLIE?........

At the same point, his sack total has been going consistently down.  He’s like a Robert Woods.  Real solid player but should never be your number 1.

He's a solid above average end who would have more stats if we got push up the middle and if he could actually draw a flag  Don't think I have ever seen a guy get hold more and that blatantly and not get a call.  Zebras really don't like Jerry and its unanimous

You guys are right....... Bills should trade Hughes !!!! According to the Bills fans he’s not ProBowl worthy - got help from Mario/ Marcell, sack numbers not there, Kyle is better!! etc.

i hope he gets to a team that can maximize his talent and present him with an opportunity for the playoffs

He plays too hard and is getting older.....

he deserves better!!!!