More evidence why I think Jerry Hughes is the most underrated DE in the NFL

JerseyBills

I have been saying this since the off season , cause many folks were down on Hughes because his sack numbers fell last year. I would always argu that he got consistent pressure on the QB last year and is elite at rushing the passer and above average against the run. He's a gamer. Those pressures often resulted in interceptions or incompletions..

His sack numbers are up a bit this year but the pressure he creates is amazing, he set the all time record for pressures in a game this year vs Minny and I just came across this stat from PFF-

Buffalo Bills: Jerry Hughes has produced 24 fourth-quarter pressures this year, which is the most for all edge defenders. What makes it more remarkable is the fact that he’s only had 85 fourth-quarter pass rushes.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-stats-to-know-for-all-32-nfl-teams-entering-week-16

That stat right there is incredible to me. Just wow,

He's a huge reason why we have the #1 pass D and is criminally underrated when it comes to edge defenders , Hughes is a beast , and never gets the credit he deserves on a national level and even locally, he's underrated . 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I hope we look to not trade him and resign him to a 3 year extension.

I'd love to see a DeMarcus Lawrence playing opposite Hughes. I don't think they have any plans on trading him , he has a very reasonable contract for his production

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I can get down with that. He has some juice left I think. I'd prefer a 2 year extension, anything beyond that is uncertain. Give him a slightly bigger salary in return for a shorter deal.

...agree....and certainly like the way he cleaned things up as far as dumb penalties.....could be good influence on potential edge draftee youngster.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been saying this since the off season , cause many folks were down on Hughes because his sack numbers fell last year. I would always argu that he got consistent pressure on the QB last year and is elite at rushing the passer and above average against the run. He's a gamer. Those pressures often resulted in interceptions or incompletions..

His sack numbers are up a bit this year but the pressure he creates is amazing, he set the all time record for pressures in a game this year vs Minny and I just came across this stat from PFF-

Buffalo Bills: Jerry Hughes has produced 24 fourth-quarter pressures this year, which is the most for all edge defenders. What makes it more remarkable is the fact that he’s only had 85 fourth-quarter pass rushes.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-stats-to-know-for-all-32-nfl-teams-entering-week-16

He's a huge reason why we have the #1 pass D and is criminally underrated when it comes to edge defenders , Hughes is a beast , and never gets the credit he deserves on a national level and even locally, he's underrated . 

Homerun of a trade. One of the few things that went right with the last regime. 

Also proves that Buffalo should stay far away from anyone named Kelvin!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think it'd be interesting to see what of these pressures come while he's being actively engaged by a blocker. I think (I could be wrong) that he can be counted as a pressure even if he's being blocked as long as he is disrupting the pocket. Seems to me that Hughes can get to the QB a lot but struggles getting off blocks sometimes. And sometimes he's just straight up held. 

23 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

yeah, too bad, he made a ton of $$, so that's good for him, but another guy whose career/recognition went to the bills to die. 

He would have went from obscurity to an NFL household name had he gone to LA. It's unfortunate our boys don't get credit because of lack of success/small market.

That being said, I'd like to add another up and coming rusher considering Jerry's age and the fact that you can never have too many pass rushers. Most important position on defense in todays NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Agree to disagree, I think many Bills fans over value Hughes. I don't think he's terrible by any means but he's had only 2 seasons with double digits sacks in his career and for an edge rusher that's low in, my eyes anyways.

• Like (+1) 2

Hughes is more bark than bite at this point.  It was a great trade (Whaley sucks!) but he is nothing special as a pass rusher at this point.  His career is on the Decline. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Agree to disagree, I think many Bills fans over value Hughes. I don't think he's terrible by any means but he's had only 2 seasons with double digits sacks in his career and for an edge rusher that's low in, my eyes anyways.

And that’s with Mario and Dareus being all pros at their position.

at least he settle down with his brain dead, fake tough guy penalties.

2 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

I told my Pats*** fan co-worker to watch #55 get mugged on every pass play on Sunday and not be the beneficiary of one holding call.

I almost don't see it anymore, but just about every time he puts an inside move on a lineman you watch and you will see Jerry getting drug backwards with a half-nelson. It just rarely if ever gets called as there is too much personal animus between Hughes and the Officiating organization - not just individual refs.

Their official response to the suspension of Roy Ellison, one of their own, just adds more credibility to the theory that they have had a Hughes chip on their collective shoulders. Rather than say that they recognize that Ellison's behavior was out of line and unprofessional, they had what I thought was a telling, unprofessional, and amateurish response, "a player who has a well-documented history of abusive language and inappropriate actions towards our officials".

What is missed in this is the frustration of a competitive player who has watched "impartial" officials heap just enough penalties on our Bills to take over games that the Bills may have had a chance to win if they got a penalty here, or no flag there  - I guess well-documented refers to a game where the Bills under Rex played the Giants and watched the officials levy 17 penalties for 140 yards against the Bills with several phantom calls - and yes, Jerry lost his cool and was fined. 

What is lost in their documentation is officiating that has often taken over games in obvious lop-sided favoritism that led to the frustration to begin with.

Oh well, the NFL does not seem to be interested in breaking up the Officiating cabal - starting with elevating in 2017 Alberto Riveron the Senior VP of Officiating overseeing operations and replay who is from the old guard of officials and definitely has shown no love for the Bills and the continued favoritism towards the Patriots that we and most of the league have come to expect.

Funny that this was featured in the Boston Herald, and we probably have a link to it somewhere on the wall, but figured with the Pats coming up it was worth a re-read. It is a statistical anomaly over the past decade when considering the subjective nature of flagging penalties that the Bills are consistently ranked in the top-half or top-10 in receiving penalties and the Patriots in the bottom 10 - except for one year I think.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2017/12/25/borges-of-course-it-seems-like-the-patriots-get-the-calls-to-go-their-way/

4 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

I told my Pats*** fan co-worker to watch #55 get mugged on every pass play on Sunday and not be the beneficiary of one holding call.

It gets tiresome. I have to watch the DTs rushing and hope to see Jerry stunting and running free from the corner if my viewing screen. Or watch him chase a player running full steam from the backside of the play till the whistle.
 Can't make every play or every play 110% . but he does seem to be Mr Hustle out there when i notice.

I have said it before a i am a Champion of Hughes play.
one jersey i would wear, after owning 95, would be 55.
 Football player through and through

thanks for the nice details OP !!

14 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I almost don't see it anymore, but just about every time he puts an inside move on a lineman you watch and you will see Jerry getting drug backwards with a half-nelson. It just rarely if ever gets called as there is too much personal animus between Hughes and the Officiating organization - not just individual refs.

Their official response to the suspension of Roy Ellison, one of their own, just adds more credibility to the theory that they have had a Hughes chip on their collective shoulders. Rather than say that they recognize that Ellison's behavior was out of line and unprofessional, they had what I thought was a telling, unprofessional, and amateurish response, "a player who has a well-documented history of abusive language and inappropriate actions towards our officials".

What is missed in this is the frustration of a competitive player who has watched "impartial" officials heap just enough penalties on our Bills to take over games that the Bills may have had a chance to win if they got a penalty here, or no flag there  - I guess well-documented refers to a game where the Bills under Rex played the Giants and watched the officials levy 17 penalties for 140 yards against the Bills with several phantom calls - and yes, Jerry lost his cool and was fined. 

What is lost in their documentation is officiating that has often taken over games in obvious lop-sided favoritism that led to the frustration to begin with.

Oh well, the NFL does not seem to be interested in breaking up the Officiating cabal - starting with elevating in 2017 Alberto Riveron the Senior VP of Officiating overseeing operations and replay who is from the old guard of officials and definitely has shown no love for the Bills and the continued favoritism towards the Patriots that we and most of the league have come to expect.

Funny that this was featured in the Boston Herald, and we probably have a link to it somewhere on the wall, but figured with the Pats coming up it was worth a re-read. It is a statistical anomaly over the past decade when considering the subjective nature of flagging penalties that the Bills are consistently ranked in the top-half or top-10 in receiving penalties and the Patriots in the bottom 10 - except for one year I think.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2017/12/25/borges-of-course-it-seems-like-the-patriots-get-the-calls-to-go-their-way/

I am sure we deserve the abuse for some reason.
Test of will for even us fans  lol
Nice post Wide

3 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

He would have went from obscurity to an NFL household name had he gone to LA. It's unfortunate our boys don't get credit because of lack of success/small market.

That being said, I'd like to add another up and coming rusher considering Jerry's age and the fact that you can never have too many pass rushers. Most important position on defense in todays NFL.

perhaps we improve on Lawson and Murphy first.
nice rotational guys and becoming good and good when healthy players, but not game changers.
bring in an elite athlete opposite Huggable Hughes and watch that whole line start looking like when Jim Schwartz was here running that wide nine we loved.
I think we have the depth with Lawson ( improving ) and Murphy ( when healthy )

If we pick up one D player early in the draft
 i want a DE who needs to be accounted for every play.

legally i mean

Ha

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

It gets tiresome. I have to watch the DTs rushing and hope to see Jerry stunting and running free from the corner if my viewing screen. Or watch him chase a player running full steam from the backside of the play till the whistle.
 Can't make every play or every play 110% . but he does seem to be Mr Hustle out there when i notice.

I have said it before a i am a Champion of Hughes play.
one jersey i would wear, after owning 95, would be 55.
 Football player through and through

thanks for the nice details OP !!

I am sure we deserve the abuse for some reason.
Test of will for even us fans  lol
Nice post Wide

perhaps we improve on Lawson and Murphy first.
nice rotational guys and becoming good and good when healthy players, but not game changers.
bring in an elite athlete opposite Huggable Hughes and watch that whole line start looking like when Jim Schwartz was here running that wide nine we loved.
I think we have the depth with Lawson ( improving ) and Murphy ( when healthy )

If we pick up one D player early in the draft
 i want a DE who needs to be accounted for every play.

legally i mean

Ha

For sure. I'm not a Murphy guy. Just don't like unreliable players. Lawson is not a guy I'd invest heavily in although he's developed a niche at setting the edge. The up and coming pass rusher is one I'd like to see opposite Hughes, not in lieu of him.

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Homerun of a trade. One of the few things that went right with the last regime. 

Also proves that Buffalo should stay far away from anyone named Kelvin!!!

Yeah, there was no talent on those last regime’s teams.  Far superior group right now. 

14 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

For sure. I'm not a Murphy guy. Just don't like unreliable players. Lawson is not a guy I'd invest heavily in although he's developed a niche at setting the edge. The up and coming pass rusher is one I'd like to see opposite Hughes, not in lieu of him.

...Murphy is an enigma.....coming off injury, first year was a contractual stop gap , but decent money.....signing despite PED suspension fit the "process"??.....he's due $6.825 mil in 2018 versus cap hit of $8.575 mil........what's your call?.....BTW, Hughes is due $7.5 mil with $10..4 mil cap hit....pretty clear that Hughes is substantially better ROI performance wise and durability wise.....Murphy missed most of TC and pre-season and has been out more than in during the season...trade Hughes?...nope...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Murphy is an enigma.....coming off injury, first year was a contractual stop gap , but decent money.....signing despite PED suspension fit the "process"??.....he's due $6.825 mil in 2018 versus cap hit of $8.575 mil........what's your call?.........

It depends on what we've save by cutting him. He's capable of getting home when healthy and you can never have enough pass rushers. If we save most of the cap hit though, I'd be tempted to see what's out there in FA.

hughes should use shoulder pads like michael bennett, gives the defense very little to grab on to, would make holding calls more obvious.

bills need someone other then him whos a threat on the dline, murphy/shaq/kyle all have been underwhelming from a pass rush prospective.

they should consider sheldon richardson or maybe even demarcus lawerence.

they could trade down from top 10 to the 12-20 range and get another first. use the first pick on best pass rusher avaible and take a wr of there choice with the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1