When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the Opposing End Zone the Result Should Be....

26CornerBlitz

When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....  

145 members have voted

1. 1. When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....

• Current Rule: Touchback for a Change of Possession
    • New Rule: Offense Retains the Ball at the Spot of the Fumble

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/25/2018 at 01:15 AM

49 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They would get a do over for a serious mistake which in effect is a reward for not securing the ball. 

Which is the same as if they fumbled the ball oob instead of out of the endzone. 

Which is actually rewarded even more if the ball advances after it is fumbled. 

Edited by The Wiz

I vote neither.  Giving the offense the ball at the 1 is stupid.  Giving the opponent the ball is also stupid.  I’d give the offense the ball at the 10 or something.  Definitely not at the one and definitely wouldn’t give it to the D.  If I had to choose, I’d keep it the same as it is because 2 wrongs don’t make a right 

I don't mind the rule. Maybe it's unfair, but then again, the biggest sin a football player can commit is to fumble the ball. And at least it's a black and white rule, the same for everybody and everybody knows the risks with no need for any "judgement" by the official.

But if we have to make a change, let's do a sort of compromise. Let's say any fumble that occurs inside the 5 yard line automatically becomes subject to the overtime/inside 2:00/4th down rules. In these cases any fumble can only be advanced by the player who fumbled it. If another player on his team recovers, or it goes out of bounds, the ball returns to the spot of the fumble.

But let's add one caveat - if the ball is fumbled out the side of the endzone, it shall be treated as a ball fumbled out of bounds subject to the overtime/2:00/4th down rules as listed above, and returned to the spot of the fumble. But if the ball is fumbled out the back of the endzone it shall be ruled a touchback. Let's face it, if you're in the middle of the field and you fumble the ball more than 10 yards forward, it's unlikely your team is going to recover it. Maybe a deep reciever could get it, but in this scenario there's no reciever deeper than the back of the endzone, so it ain't happening. I don't see it nearly as unfair to call a touchback if the ball is fumbled more than the 10 yard distance to the back line of the endzone. My $.02.

Edited by Tuco

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Which is the same as if they fumbled the ball oob instead of out of the endzone. 

Which is actually rewarded even more if the ball advances after it is fumbled. 

Sorry, but neither end zone is the same as the field of play and there are consequences for losing the ball in either of them as there should be IMO. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sorry, but neither end zone is the same as the field of play and there are consequences for losing the ball in either of them as there should be IMO. 

I dunno how losing the ball out of your own endzone as opposed to the opponents is comparable.

I think theres a clear difference.

I mean..... theres a big enough gripe that theres a topic and a video on it.... that should say enough I would think.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I dunno how losing the ball out of your own endzone as opposed to the opponents is comparable.

I think theres a clear difference.

I mean..... theres a big enough gripe that theres a topic and a video on it.... that should say enough I would think.

It's comparable with the offense losing possession in either case. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I see some pretty cool options in the thread .... all of which include the offense keeping the ball.  If the football isn't recovered by the defense, then the offense should retain possession.  Whether it's at the spot of the fumble, or they put it on the 20/lose a down - I think the offense should retain possession since the defense never takes possession.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

How often does a team fumble into....and then out of...the opponents EZ without either team falling on the ball first?

How often? don't know.  I do recall it happening last season against the bills.  I believe it was a jets game.  It was a swing pass and the guy got tackled from behind around the 1/2 yard line and fumbled it out of the endzone.

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Why would anyone have an issue with this rule? Of all the ridiculous things that get called constantly and drive people crazy, this isn’t even a blip on the radar IMO. Change the asinine overtime rules. Or the way pass interference is called. Coaches challenges are ridiculous. Throwing a silly little red flag and losing them even when you are correct. Stop letting the clock run on penalties that get accepted. At the end of a game when a team is hurrying up and you have an accepted penalty on the defense, they still run the time off the clock. At that moment time is more important then the yards. There are dozens of rules that bother me more then the touchback.

they complain about everything that enters their mind 

15 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I think it would be great for the offense to keep the ball, but it be spotted back at the 10 yd line keeping the same down as if the ball didn't go into the end zone. So if it the fumble occurred on 2nd and goal, it's now 3rd and goal from the 10 instead of the touchback and play continues.  Basically fumbling into the end zone becomes a 10 yd penalty, but no replay of the down. Kind of like intentional grounding.

I like this suggestion best.

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Right but what does fumbling the ball intentionally gain a player.  I honestly can't think of a scenario where someone would be able to leverage it.  

Was it a fumble, yes, they get the ball at the spot of the fumble. 

No, they get the ball at the spot he was down by contact. 

It's the same outcome either way. 

It's possible that a guy streaking toward the pylon/sideline would have a competitive edge knowing a fumble OOB wouldn't end the possession, but that's pretty remote the more I think about it.