When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the Opposing End Zone the Result Should Be....

26CornerBlitz

When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....  

145 members have voted

1. 1. When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....

• Current Rule: Touchback for a Change of Possession
    • New Rule: Offense Retains the Ball at the Spot of the Fumble

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/25/2018 at 01:15 AM

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....

I think it would be great for the offense to keep the ball, but it be spotted back at the 10 yd line keeping the same down as if the ball didn't go into the end zone. So if it the fumble occurred on 2nd and goal, it's now 3rd and goal from the 10 instead of the touchback and play continues.  Basically fumbling into the end zone becomes a 10 yd penalty, but no replay of the down. Kind of like intentional grounding.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 14

Should be treated like a fumble anywhere else on the field. Placed at the spot of the fumble since a fumble can't advance the ball. Currently, it's way too much of a reward to the defense for allowing the other team to get to the goal line and then getting the ball on a fluke.

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

I think it would be great for the offense to keep the ball, but it be spot at the 10 yd line keeping the same down as if it didn't go into the end zone, so if it was 2nd and goal and the fumble occurred, its now 3rd and goal from the 10 instead of a touchback. 

That would be better. Penalize the team that fumbled, but don't reward the other team.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, MPT said:

Should be treated like a fumble anywhere else on the field. Placed at the spot of the fumble since a fumble can't advance the ball. Currently, it's way too much of a reward to the defense for allowing the other team to get to the goal line and then getting the ball on a fluke.

What about when a team fumbles the ball out of their own end zone?  Is a safety too punitive? 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the Opposing End Zone the Result Should Be....

Why would anyone have an issue with this rule? Of all the ridiculous things that get called constantly and drive people crazy, this isn’t even a blip on the radar IMO. Change the asinine overtime rules. Or the way pass interference is called. Coaches challenges are ridiculous. Throwing a silly little red flag and losing them even when you are correct. Stop letting the clock run on penalties that get accepted. At the end of a game when a team is hurrying up and you have an accepted penalty on the defense, they still run the time off the clock. At that moment time is more important then the yards. There are dozens of rules that bother me more then the touchback.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, hemma said:

Keep it with the offense, but place it at the 25 with loss of down.  

Still in field goal range, but not totally screwed like they are now.

This is exactly what a couple of friends and I just discussed Monday night when it happened. 

It think ruling it a TO is atrocious. Loss of down. Take it back to the 20. 

That’ll never happen. But I think it’s a good option 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What about when a team fumbles the ball out of their own end zone?  Is a safety too punitive? 

I don't think so. Fumbling out of your own end zone prevents two scenarios: getting tackled for a safety anyway, or the other team recovering for a touchdown (meaning the other team would end up with at least two points regardless of the outcome). Fumbling out of your opponents' end zone prevents one scenario: you scoring a touchdown (meaning the other team saves 7 points and should count their lucky stars they get a crack at holding you at the spot of the fumble).

47 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Why would anyone have an issue with this rule? Of all the ridiculous things that get called constantly and drive people crazy, this isn’t even a blip on the radar IMO. Change the asinine overtime rules. Or the way pass interference is called. Coaches challenges are ridiculous. Throwing a silly little red flag and losing them even when you are correct. Stop letting the clock run on penalties that get accepted. At the end of a game when a team is hurrying up and you have an accepted penalty on the defense, they still run the time off the clock. At that moment time is more important then the yards. There are dozens of rules that bother me more then the touchback.

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm pretty sure the clock stops on penalties in late game situations even if it would normally run such as a run play. Not 100 percent sure though.

27 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm pretty sure the clock stops on penalties in late game situations even if it would normally run such as a run play. Not 100 percent sure though.

What I’m saying, let’s say a play is run that takes 8 secs off the clock and they call defensive holding. They don’t put that time back on the clock. So on a penalty you essentially lost the time of a play and often didn’t get enough yards for it to even matter. After the play is over they should put that time back. Why punish the offense?

I'd like to see the offense keep possession but maybe treat it like a penalty and move the ball back to the 10 yard line but count the down. That would be a middle ground where there is a cost for having it happen but not the ultimate cost.

But then this begs the question. What do you do when the offense fumble the ball out of their own endzone? If we are  allowing them to keep posession when they fumble it out of opposition endzone, why do they lose possession when it happens at the other end? Whats the difference? If they keep possession on one end they should keep it at the other end...its the same play. 

Or maybe if the defense gets 2 points for the ball being fumbled out of the endzone in that direction, should the offense get 2 points if it gets fumbled out the other direction? 

In my mind its about consistency. If you change the rule one way where the fumbling team keeps possession then you necessarily need to change it so when it happens the other way the same rule applies.