UCF- why not national champs?

Orlando Tim

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Based on the strength of their opponents I agree.

Clemson  doesn't play anybody but they are stacked with talent and can win on the 7th.

To each fan it’s a mix of what you watch and read up on and cheer for, reputation of the last 100 and the last 2 years adds in.

there is no way to argue that a team running the table in the SEC the last few years could possibly sink below 2nd, at the worst, Auburn was pegged third more than a few years ago years ago based on history.

The Clemson machine has earned the benefit of the doubt recently to me, it’s mostly about the coach in college sports these days anyways.

Ohio State played poorly in more than a few games this year, rhe suspension and dark cloud also bit on the Buckeyes, fair enough 

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

UCF gave LSU a better game than UGA 

LSU had 9 out of 11 defensive starters out today, 2 of which are All Americans. By the end of the game we had WR’s playing defensive back. I was really worried about our defense in this game, but man our DC Dave Aranda pulled off a miracle to shut their offense down with 2nd and 3rd string.

23 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

LSU had 9 out of 11 defensive starters out today, 2 of which are All Americans. By the end of the game we had WR’s playing defensive back. I was really worried about our defense in this game, but man our DC Dave Aranda pulled off a miracle to shut their offense down with 2nd and 3rd string.

My guy Joey Burrow held it down for ya’ll. He took a hell of a hit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Yep, proud of that guy, he is one tough SOB. He responded from the pick six and blind sided cheap shot with two TD drives. Glad we get another year with him as starter.

It was not a cheap shot- more than absolutely necessary but it was to a guy trying to make a play. It is same as logan Thomas on phins db.

50 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It was not a cheap shot- more than absolutely necessary but it was to a guy trying to make a play. It is same as logan Thomas on phins db.

It was blind sided and a helmet to helmet hit on the ground 

Ive seen a dozen booted out of college games for way way less than that

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

It was blind sided and a helmet to helmet hit on the ground 

Clean legal hit.

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

Ive seen a dozen booted out of college games for way way less than that

IMO, Targeting is probably the most inconsistently called and enforced penalty, and needs some serious tweaking.

But even I saw there was nothing in that hit that could be classified as targeting.

11 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Clean legal hit.

IMO, Targeting is probably the most inconsistently called and enforced penalty, and needs some serious tweaking.

But even I saw there was nothing in that hit that could be classified as targeting.

i know you were cheering 2000% for UCF, but they got away with a few that were totally ejectable-worthy in the first quarter....

the inconsistency of the application of the rules for targeting and ejections is frustrating, they got them dead right a few times as the game went on.

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imo the targeting rule needs overhauled. There needs to be separate categories for targeting with intent and non- intent. To me it is obvious when each occur. Non-intent should be a 15 yard penalty but no ejection. Intent should be ejection. 

doesn't work that way with human nature, review booths do whatever the heck they want to no matter what is patently obvious to disinterested viewers

last year.... i think it was a tOSU defensive captain who was clearly shoved and fell back, a full second after the play was over, and hit the helmet of the QB on the ground, not even having a clue what was going on.

and then TTUN lost a captain on D another week for something even more pointless.

This hit was the textbook example for bye-bye, from Opening Night...

-------------------

it's interesting how the secondary in college has adapted to the 15-yard max PI call and takes out the receiver gladly on 40 yard routes, saw it more than usual during this bowl run.

Edited by row_33

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imo the targeting rule needs overhauled. There needs to be separate categories for targeting with intent and non- intent. To me it is obvious when each occur. Non-intent should be a 15 yard penalty but no ejection. Intent should be ejection. 

Idk...if there is no intent why a penalty? The Dulpit targeting was a bad call imo. Flag should have been waved off.

35 minutes ago, row_33 said:

You can’t call intent, you call the contact and the result of it.

Oh wait, you can judge intent watching on TV, always finding it against the team you aren’t  cheering for.

Did you see the dulpit call? The receiver came down from making the catch and landed against dulpit. It was a bad call. And clearly dulpit had no intent for their helmets to make contact. They've had intent verbiage in their rule book before.

Edited by Bfanlc

27 minutes ago, Bfanlc said:

Did you see the dulpit call? The receiver came down from making the catch and landed against dulpit. It was a bad call. And clearly dulpit had no intent for their helmets to make contact. They've had intent verbiage in their rule book before.

Okay

1 hour ago, iinii said:

Looks like LSU shows why.

They can have 128 teams in a big playoff tournament, but the talent and power of a legit top team won’t be toppled or challenged.

The weeks off after the conference title games let the injured heal and strengthens the best teams, as they prepare for the next game.

the talent gap between the top 2 and the rest of the field is usually immense.

it may be that big between 1 and 2 as well come Monday night.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

the talent gap between the top 2 and the rest of the field is usually immense.

This. IMO, the one thing the CFB playoffs has spot lighted is that 2-3 teams every year separate themselves from the rest of the programs.

Note, this was the same way pre-CFB playoffs, but the playoffs have made it more visible.

So instead of accepting reality, the current cry is to expand the playoffs.

Yet, nobody can give a logical rationale why including even weaker teams will fix the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.