UCF- why not national champs?

Orlando Tim

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They do change the criteria every year, which is why there really is no criteria. The only real criteria that is put forth is the tiebreakers. This year, I’m not sure there were any real ties. The committee never seriously considered Ohio state or UCF. ESPN tried to make it seem like they considered Ohio state to get the fans to watch the selection show. They may have considered Georgia, but i feel like that was a made up talking point for drama purposes 

Arguing media goofballs to the point of breathlessness for a two loss Georgia was disgusting

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/24/2018 at 7:23 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

One- where they are in two years in not part of this debate FSU is not good now and they were good for 20 years in a row. Second- they are ducking the gators? Are you ignorant of the offer? A 2 for 1 when UCF has been the superior team for that past two years and UF will have the right to buy out the game if they choose. UCF will take anyone on under a 1 for 1 set up. Third- their opponents were not stellar this year- but they only play who is on their schedule which did not matter for Bama last year when they beat zero top 15 teams last year before playoff and had a loss. But i have realized that most of the people who argue SOS are stuxk in 1995 when being top 10 was a big drop to 20- this year # 10 is gators who were stomped by mizzou. I can give ypu plenty of other arguments but why bother you will confirm your bias each step.

1) Where a program will be in 2 years can be part of the debate. Since these agreements are for future games, that future being usually 2-3 years later. That's because the majority of the programs already have the next years schedule set, barring any last minute changes.

2) The argument of "A 2 for 1 when UCF has been the superior team for that past two years and UF will have the right to buy out the game if they choose" is a moot point. Multi-game agreements rarely, if ever, include the up coming season. See point 1 above for why.

3) Buyout clauses in these types of agreements are standard. They exist for both teams. Griping about how UF will have the ability to buy out the contract, is again moot. The agreement will have buy out clause for UCF. Buy outs are pretty common. Example: UCF had an agreement with UF to play games starting in 2006. UF blew out UCF 42-0 in 2006. UCF took the buy out for the 2007 game.

4)  " I can give ypu plenty of other arguments but why bother you will confirm your bias each step." Feel free to provide other arguments. All you keep doing is proving your bias.

Here's the real reason why UCF doesn't want to play 2-1: "[UCF AD Danny] White has made it clear he would prefer to schedule home-and-home series with Power 5 opponents because the school generates more revenue from a home game than it would from playing a payday game on the road."

It's all about the $$$$$.

20 hours ago, Cynical said:

1) Where a program will be in 2 years can be part of the debate. Since these agreements are for future games, that future being usually 2-3 years later. That's because the majority of the programs already have the next years schedule set, barring any last minute changes.

2) The argument of "A 2 for 1 when UCF has been the superior team for that past two years and UF will have the right to buy out the game if they choose" is a moot point. Multi-game agreements rarely, if ever, include the up coming season. See point 1 above for why.

3) Buyout clauses in these types of agreements are standard. They exist for both teams. Griping about how UF will have the ability to buy out the contract, is again moot. The agreement will have buy out clause for UCF. Buy outs are pretty common. Example: UCF had an agreement with UF to play games starting in 2006. UF blew out UCF 42-0 in 2006. UCF took the buy out for the 2007 game.

4)  " I can give ypu plenty of other arguments but why bother you will confirm your bias each step." Feel free to provide other arguments. All you keep doing is proving your bias.

Here's the real reason why UCF doesn't want to play 2-1: "[UCF AD Danny] White has made it clear he would prefer to schedule home-and-home series with Power 5 opponents because the school generates more revenue from a home game than it would from playing a payday game on the road."

It's all about the $$$$$.

We agree on the money part for all people considered. What you are pointing out that help my initial point is the insanity of using SOS as a major standard. Last year UCF could have played FSU, UF, and the Canes and likely had whooped all three. That though would not have helped their SOS because not one of them was truly good. The ACC is not very good but we recognize the talent of Clemson because they beat who this year? A bunch of 4 and 5 loss teams. I will admit i went into the weeds with the UF thing but my overall point is valid and you apparently agree- SOS is not something that can be adjusted by the team but is more luck of life 4 years prior.

They cynically did this in the 80s giving BYU the crown after the hard fought win over barely Bowl-eligible Michigan in a third tier bowl game.

the same stale SI garbage that promoted a division 3 RB as more derserving of the Heisman than Bo Jackson

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

They cynically did this in the 80s giving BYU the crown after the hard fought win over barely Bowl-eligible Michigan in a third tier bowl game.

the same stale SI garbage that promoted a division 3 RB as more derserving of the Heisman than Bo Jackson

I am confused by what you mean by BYU- are you saying they were not best team in country- i was 6 so i do not remember.

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wouldn't this leave 5 teams in the second round?

Stop using math?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am confused by what you mean by BYU- are you saying they were not best team in country- i was 6 so i do not remember.

Stop using math?

BYU went undefeated with a joke schedule and conference and bowl game

and the media handed them the championship

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

BYU went undefeated with a joke schedule and conference and bowl game

and the media handed them the championship

But they had the most difficult schedule of all the undefeateds and beat the #3 team at the time of game. Who do you think was clearly better? Washington did not even win there conference.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

But they had the most difficult schedule of all the undefeateds and beat the #3 team at the time of game. Who do you think was clearly better? Washington did not even win there conference.

They were the only undefeated team that season 

the media boomers got a bit older and got very cynical about reporting, this and Bo Jackson atracks made them feel relevant again

thank goodness the internet came along and dethroned the three hacks at SI who ruled all thought in sports...

I like to think voting in BYU as a cynical joke was one major step towards a trans- conference title game 

1997, with both Michigan and Nebraska undefeated and off to separate bowls was the last straw in getting a real title game 

Edited by row_33

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

They were the only undefeated team that season 

the media boomers got a bit older and got very cynical about reporting, this and Bo Jackson atracks made them feel relevant again

thank goodness the internet came along and dethroned the three hacks at SI who ruled all thought in sports...

I like to think voting in BYU as a cynical joke was one major step towards a trans- conference title game 

1997, with both Michigan and Nebraska undefeated and off to separate bowls was the last straw in getting a real title game 

I understand your point but you still have not stated who was clearly better? A team that could not win its conference or nebraska who lost to a 7-6 team? Or someone who lost their bowl game? You are bashing them for their bowl game opponent which is set up prior to season.

The whole UCF argument is about the power 5 conferences trying keep their grip on the obscene amount of money college football generates.

UCF had a better claim to a seat at the playoff table last season when they kicked Auburn's ass in the Sugar Bowl after Auburn throttled Alabama (I know, I know, SEC hacks, Auburn wasn't trying it hardest).  Memphis and USF also had better seasons last year.  UCF also had it's starting QB all season.

This season, Milton's injury hurts their Bowl chances, but ragging on UCFs schedule is pretty ridiculous when Alabama scheduled Citadel the week before Auburn this year.

College football needs to expand its playoffs to 16 teams.  The Bowl season has become a joke and needs to have some games with some meaning injected into the schedule.  

Teams like UCF who built a solid program deserve to be able to compete for the rewards of exposure.

Or maybe people are happy with watching some combination of Alabama/ Clemson/ Notre Dame/ Georgia/ Oklahoma/ Ohio State play in the playoffs every year, augmented by abominations like the Cheez It bowl.

5 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

The whole UCF argument is about the power 5 conferences trying keep their grip on the obscene amount of money college football generates.

Here's a concept. Why don't the G5 teams band together, and petition the NCAA to create a new football division level just for them?

Then, they could do whatever they wanted without interference from the mean ole P5 teams.

They could call it the Cupcake Series. And they could play for their own national championship, the Golden Cupcake.

And every team gets to make the playoffs, and receive participation trophies, because that's only fair.

But back to a more serious side. Why don't the G5 teams petition the NCAA for own division?

If the G5 teams had their own division, they would be free of the constraints of the P5 teams.

UCF had a better claim to a seat at the playoff table last season when they kicked Auburn's ass in the Sugar Bowl after Auburn throttled Alabama (I know, I know, SEC hacks, Auburn wasn't trying it hardest).  Memphis and USF also had better seasons last year.  UCF also had it's starting QB all season.

Is that why Auburn lost? And here I thought Gus Malzahn was just a crappy coach.

Silly me.

This season, Milton's injury hurts their Bowl chances, but ragging on UCFs schedule is pretty ridiculous when Alabama scheduled Citadel the week before Auburn this year.

Oh, jeez. This old tired argument. Yet, not a peep about UCF playing South Carolina State.

College football needs to expand its playoffs to 16 teams.  The Bowl season has become a joke and needs to have some games with some meaning injected into the schedule.  

Please explain why adding even more crappier teams fixes any problem? You think watching the #1 team slaughter the #16 team would add meaning?

Might as well watch the Cheez It bowl.

Teams like UCF who built a solid program deserve to be able to compete for the rewards of exposure.

Sure, why not. Question: What are schools like UCF , and their fan base, doing to increase their teams exposure other than feeling entitled that P5 teams should give it to them?

Or maybe people are happy with watching some combination of Alabama/ Clemson/ Notre Dame/ Georgia/ Oklahoma/ Ohio State play in the playoffs every year, augmented by abominations like the Cheez It bowl.

I agree. There are to many bowl games. Of course, the irony is, if it wasn't for the "Cheez It" bowls, the G5 teams would have even less exposure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/27/2018 at 10:43 AM, Buffalo Timmy said:

For somebody who thinks it's insanity for SOS to be a major standard, you just used SOS to make your case.

13 hours ago, Cynical said:

For somebody who thinks it's insanity for SOS to be a major standard, you just used SOS to make your case.

I said as the major standard- if you have multiple undefeateds then you must seperate somehow. Was this really your gotcha? Just stick with Auburn did not care about the peach bowl last year it is a much simpler argument.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:30 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

You mean besides winning 25 in a row, a top 20 offense and defense, also Oklahoma has exactly one impressive win- WVU- and a loss. But generally someone has to actually lose before you have proof they should not be champs. But i appreciate you admitting that i am right.

This is a reasonable argument but still keeps a team with 25 game win streak out of final four with a team with a loss in. I think that is unfair.

If they won 25 games this year, you might have a point. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Nah, no consideration even if they won 25 games this year

Row i understand- you decided in the preseason that they did not belong and no matter what happened this year you would not change your mind. 

1 minute ago, par73 said:

At this point, I'd give them a shot instead of perennially overrated ND and everyone from the Big 12.

You mean you are looking at the whole picture and not just SOS? I will take it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.